PDA

View Full Version : Training

mnrite@yahoo.com
03-23-2005, 11:26 AM
I am a CNC programmer/operator. I have run several machines(Anderson,Thermwood,AXYZ) with different software (MasterCam & AlphaCam). When I purchase my Bot do you think I will need the training in Durham or will the knowledge I have plus this forum get me through?

Thanks
Mike

richards
03-23-2005, 04:43 PM
Mike E.

Get all of the training that you can. With my 25+ years experience designing and programing process control computers, I thought that I could handle things on my own. So far, things have worked remarkedly well; however, in looking back, I can see that I've wasted a lot of time and a lot of materials trying to learn everything on my own.

Mostly the mistakes that I've commonly made are of the, "Oh c***, why did I do that!", while I watch another $50 cutter snap. Watching an experienced shopbotter or getting some real training would have left me with no excuse.

-Mike R.

tim_white
03-24-2005, 10:43 PM
yes get all the traing you can, i"ve be a woodworker for 20+years and am proficient in autocad, i too thought i wouldn't need any help but all the time i wasted looking back i should have just gotten the training. I will say this the help you get from the form and shopbot is great.

bjenkins
03-25-2005, 10:10 AM
Mike, I bet you will be able to do fine without going to Durham, but I bet you will benefit greatly if you go. I would put in a plug for the Jamboree-- it is an opportunity to get the training and network with a lot of ShopBot owners who are doing a wide variety of things. Even if you don't have your machine yet, you can learn a lot about things and talk to people about their experiences. You also have a chance to meet people that you can stay in touch with and talk through your learning process. The forum is a huge bonus (and equally valuable means of networking). If you hang out on the forum long, you will notice that there are several career engineers, machinist, signmakers, and a ton of highly experienced woodworkers all exchanging knowledge-- I think you call that learning, too. I questioned going to Durham when I bought my machine last year. I went, and now I'm going back to the Jamboree again this year. There's one opinion...