PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Austin,TX Camp Shopbot

billp
01-07-2013, 12:33 PM
To those in the area; this year's date has been set for the Austin Camp. It will again be at Wayne Locke's shop on Fri/Sat, March 1/2
9000 Featherhill Rd.

Austin, TX 78737

512-288-3472
So far we've got plans to do sessions on the indexer, maintenance, and the new Drag knife. If you have any requests please get back to Wayne, or myself - campshopbot@gmail.com
As usual we expect a sizable turnout, so please drop one of us a note to 'confirm' your plans to attend.
Schedule will follow in the next few weeks.

waynelocke
01-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Just to amen Bill, Here is the email I sent out earlier.

To All:

It's that time of year again. The Austin Camp will be Friday, February 22, and Saturday, the 23. Please let me know if you would like to attend. The camp will again be at my shop at 9000 Feather Hill Rd., Austin, TX 78737 in Southwest Austin.

Planned are presentations on maintenance, the indexer and the Drag Knife.

Let me know of any other topics, issues or concerns you would like addressed or any presentations you would be interested in giving.

I will be sending out more details soon.

Wayne

JackM
01-10-2013, 09:51 AM
I am excited, though confused, by the announcement(s). Is the Austin camp to be held on Feb 22-23 (per the event host) or Mar 1-2 (per the NJ wizard guy)? It would be a shame to miss the event by a week.

billp
01-10-2013, 02:12 PM
We figured that someone might catch that....The original date was going to be the 22/23 but a number of long time, "regulars" had other commitments this year on that same weekend and Wayne graciously opted to change the date.
I then snuck back onto the Forum and changed the date in MY post to reflect the newer date, and Wayne sent out an e-mail to a list of prior attendees he keeps handy...
SO, the NEW DATE for the Austin, TX Camp will be March 1/2. details to follow...

JackM
01-16-2013, 01:34 PM
I figured it was something like that but, Bill. I am planning to attend on March 1 and hoping to attend on March 2. Tim Maroney has generously shown me around his shop in Canyon Lake, TX and I officially have ShopBot Fever. Looking forward to meeting more ShopBotters at the Austin Camp

billp
01-16-2013, 04:34 PM
Jack,
The Austin Camp always has a wide variety of Shopbotters, and applications, so I'm sure you'll get a lot out of your time at Wayne's. We'll be posting some news on the Camp in the next week or so...

terryjones
01-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Hey Bill,
Gordon Hendley and myself are planning to be there on Saturday morning for the day. Looking forward to another great time in Austin. I will again bring some show and tell. This will be some of the things I brought before and a new item made from a discarded raised panel cabinet door.:)

billp
01-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Terry,
Thanks for the RSVP(s) ! Looking forward to see the latest stuff you've been working on !

Mr. C
01-31-2013, 02:22 PM
Will this also include anything pertaining to the desktop?

waynelocke
01-31-2013, 03:06 PM
There will be an in depth presentation on maintenance and adjustment for Shopbots which will include the Desktop. All of the machines use the same software and have most of the same issues, hold down, speed, etc.

Is there something specific you would like covered?

Wayne

Mr. C
01-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Not at the moment. just bought mine in August and have been having a ball with it. My son owns a full size shop bot and I am trying to talk him and our wives into coming. Will keep you updated when we decide how many are actually coming. I am really looking forward to this. Thanks

billp
02-01-2013, 01:18 PM
We've just added an interesting session to the Friday morning agenda:
J.E Johnson is going to show and explain how he created a major art project for the University of Texas Visual Arts Center. Here is a link which will show you what he'll be describing-
http://newgottland.com/2012/04/04/making-the-suspended-after-image-cloak/

waynelocke
02-04-2013, 12:17 PM
To All:

March 1 & 2 is coming up and there has been a lot of interest. The Friday sessions will begin at 10AM and the Saturday sessions will begin at 9AM. Coffee and donuts in the morning and lunch at .... well .... lunch. Please rsvp if you can. It really helps in the planning.

Gary Campbell or Chris Burns will be down from Shopbot. Gary and Chris do In Shop Shopbot Maintenance for owners and will be explaining what Shopbot recommends for routine maintenance and how to do it plus they will be explaining the Shopbot Maintenance program. There was a good discussion of this on the forum recently.

As usual Bill Palumbo will also on hand.

J.E. Johnson from the Texas Performing Arts at UT will do a presentation on Friday of a recent project. The project can be viewed at
http://newgottland.com/2012/04/04/making-the-suspended-after-image-cloak/ and
http://newgottland.com/2012/04/03/diana-al-hadid-and-me/. Brett Dickinson will do a presentation on new work from his high school students. There will also be some indexer stuff and a demo of the Donek Drag Knife as well as others.

If you have any requests , now is a good time to make them. PLEASE bring Show and Tell. Everyone loves to see what people are doing.

If you need accommodations most any hotel or motel in South or Southwest Austin would be fine. My shop is at 9000 Feather Hill Rd., Austin, TX 78737 and is only a mile off of Hwy 290 and so is easy to get to. Here are four motels nearby:

Extended Stay America Austin - Southwest
5100 US Hwy. 290 W.
Austin, TX 78735
Telephone: (512) 892-4272
Fax: (512) 892-4303
asw@extendedstay.com

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
AUSTIN-SUNSET VALLEY
4892 US HIGHWAY 290 WEST
AUSTIN, TX 78735 UNITED STATES
Hotel Front Desk: 1-512-8919500

The Heart of Texas Motel
5303 US 290 West
Austin, Texas 78735
512-892-0644 telephone
(The Heart of Texas is an older motel which seems clean and campy.)

Sleep Inn & Suites
2720 East US Hwy. 290
Dripping Springs, TX, US, 78620
Phone: (512) 858-240

(This a fairly new motel which is about 7 miles West of my shop. It is less convenient to Austin Proper — Sorry Austin and Proper are never used together.)

Sincerely,
Wayne Locke

Locke Design & Woodworks
9000 Featherhill Rd.
Austin, TX 78737
512-288-3472
wayne@lockedesign.net
www.lockedesign.net

member: Guild of Austin Artisans
www.austinartisan.org

The Furniture Society
www.furnitu

terryjones
02-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Hi Wayne,

I would be interested in the topics of plunge edge forming bits, set up in aspire to the tool library, where to set tool paths (outside, on, or inside the vector line), pass depths.

Also would like learn about compression bits and how they are used, setup in the tool library, feed and speed in plywood. And what other mediums are compression bits used for?

Another topic is how to incorporate multiple 3D files in Aspire, lets say an outdoor scene to where it all appears as one fluid scene.

How do you take parts out of a purchased 3D file ie. remove a deer from a scene and just leave the mountains, tree and a cabin.

It would be nice to see demonstrations of the above mentioned topics as some of us retain more with visual teaching.

Thank you,
Terry

billp
02-25-2013, 07:52 PM
To ALL,
If you plan to attend the Camp , but haven't told us yet, please do so in the next day or so. That will allow us to have everything ready for both days. Don't forget your Show and Tell stuff!

MogulTx
02-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Bill- If I can break away, I would like to attend. I am swamped - but could use some time with some fun shopbotters!

Lyndell Smith
02-26-2013, 02:47 PM
I am especially interested in the maintenance part of the program, but probably cannot make it both days. Do you have an agenda set yet? This will be my first Camp Shopbot and I gotta find a way to come at least one day.

billp
02-26-2013, 06:07 PM
I was thinking that since we usually get more people attending on the Saturday we'd do the maintenance session then.
A lot of the Austin Camp is about the "Show and Tell"people bring in, because we always get some really interesting stuff.

waynelocke
02-26-2013, 06:09 PM
The maintenance presentation will probably be Saturday but you can probably get any of your questions answered Friday as well.

JackM
03-01-2013, 12:37 AM
I was thinking that since we usually get more people attending on the Saturday we'd do the maintenance session then.
A lot of the Austin Camp is about the "Show and Tell"people bring in, because we always get some really interesting stuff.

I had indicated that I would be there this weekend but that was before Murphy's Law took over my schedule. The day before my SB Desktop arrived, spring arrived in the plumbing under my house. The Desktop is still in the crate; I still have workers digging tunnels under my slab; plumbers with tools are still making repairs TOMORROW. The Austin ShopBot Camp weekend.

I was going to ride up with Tim Mulroney on Friday but those plans are now a wash.

The bright spot in this-- the money I would have spent on the SB Buddy48 would not have been available to put towards watertight integrity of my home's plumbing. This too shall pass and be laughable someday soon enough. Y'all have a great time at the Austin ShopBot Camp. I will try to catch up later.

dmidkiff
03-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Thanks Wayne, for a great camp as usual. Always inspired by the presenters.
Its always good to see old friends and meet new ones. Thanks Bill, for keeping things moving and all the knowledge you freely give.
Dave

billp
03-04-2013, 02:03 PM
I'd also like to thank Wayne for hosting the Camp, and everyone who attended and presented as well. We had a good two days of talks, samples, demos,techniques, etc. I have posted the Camp Blog at- http://www.shopbotblog.com/index.php/2013/03/2013-austintx-camp-shopbot/
They have changed the uploading format for pictures and as soon as we can sort it out I'll attach a bunch of the Camp pix to the Blog.

billp
03-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Quick workaround. Here are the Camp pix on a Flickr page- http://www.flickr.com/photos/campshopbot/sets/72157632917460704/

lalogiagorral
03-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Bill
Did you figure out how to share pictures?

billp
03-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Sort of. The Flickr page works as a backup but I've had little luck attaching pix to a Blog post since the software was "updated to make it easier"... Bill Y. was able to sort out, and attach the Florida pix so until I can get them to upload from this machine he'll help get them on future Blogs...

lalogiagorral
03-12-2013, 03:54 PM
nice it looks perfect
I hope you can post Austins pictures you had lots form eveybody

billp
03-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Bill Young has come to the rescue again, and copied the Austin Flickr pix to the Blog link above......

lalogiagorral
03-13-2013, 08:32 AM
nice
Thanks Bill and Bill