PDA

View Full Version : File Editors

jf_allie
11-26-2004, 03:56 PM
It seems the SB file editor does not have syntax coloring? Is that correct?

If so, are there other editors that people might have settup for syntax coloring of SB part files?

If not, I might try to create the configuration files for Crimson Editor (free and simple editor available here: http://www.crimsoneditor.com/). It seems to be fairly straighforward to do.

J-F

Brady Watson
11-26-2004, 05:24 PM
Jean-Francois,
The Crimson editor is a nice utility...I use it from time to time but have not set it up for use with SBPs. I think there was some limitation with defining the codes.

-Brady

mrdovey
11-26-2004, 07:45 PM
I've been using GVIM, also a free program, and have set it up for syntax coloring of .SBP files. VI (even improved) isn't my favorite editor, but I couldn't find a Win32 version of nedit - which /is/ my favorite.

I've set up my system so that the FE command executes GVIM (default) or if there're parameters started and ended with a dollar sign, requests the system to execute the parameters between the $'s - a hacker's delight!

oddcoach
11-27-2004, 10:25 AM
what is syntax coloring?

jf_allie
11-27-2004, 11:57 AM
John,

Syntax Coloring (or Syntax Highlighting)is simply the use of color (or styles) to make the reserved words of a programming language stand out in a program's text file (like a SB part file). This makes the program easier to read. You can find an illustrated explanation at: http://www.editpadpro.com/editpadprosyntax.html

J-F

jf_allie
11-27-2004, 11:58 AM
Hey Brady,

Do you recall what those limitations were...

J-F

jf_allie
11-27-2004, 12:30 PM
Hey guys,

Here is the link to the instructions on how to set up Crimson Editor to highlite a particular syntax.

Since you know the SB language better than I do, it might actually be simple for you guys. In any case, any comments you might have I'm sure will help.

J-F

jf_allie
11-27-2004, 12:31 PM
Oups ! here is the link:

http://www.crimsoneditor.com/english/docs/syntaxfile.html

J-F

jf_allie
11-27-2004, 03:42 PM
Hello everyone,

I hope the turkey is good!

Here is the result of my experimentations for today. As you can see Brady, I don't know how to make it color a keyword made of two words seperated by a space (see "On Input").

J-F

srwtlc
11-27-2004, 08:47 PM
Hey Guys,

I've been using NoteTab Light for a long time and like it. I don't think it does color, but what I like is that it has the ability to make macros or what they call a clip library were you can place the selected clip into your file.

A few examples of some simple ones I use would be:

SO,1,1 'Router On

SO,1,0 'Router Off
JH' Pull up to safe hight and jog home

WAITHERE:
&TEST=%(51)
IF &TEST=1 THEN GOTO REPEAT
PAUSE .1
GOTO WAITHERE

etc., etc.

There are three versions, but NoteTab Light is free. It can be found here http://www.notetab.com/

paco
11-27-2004, 09:44 PM
Indeed Scott! NoteTab light is quite usefull!!! MANY other features... Infact I believe it's you who "link" it to me in a past post...

Brady Watson
11-28-2004, 12:01 AM
JF,
I haven't devoted the time to figuring it out with Crimson...Mainly because the ShopBot code is so simple to read and write, I just use it as is.

As long as I can do a quick replace of keywords or find the values that I need to change (Notepad takes forever to Replace) I'm happy.

-Brady

gerald_d
11-28-2004, 12:52 AM
Remember that old freebie that came before PartsWizard......seem to remember the name Vector.....? Well, that has a built-in text editor, with syntax colouring, with "clip macros", all inside the CAM program. As you move your cursor through the text editor, you even have a simultaneous graphic view of where the tool is on the part. Oh well, it was a little difficult to learn, so it got chucked out.

srwtlc
11-28-2004, 10:00 AM
I remember Gerald! It gets used everyday
. NoteTab Light is just for the quick in between stuff. I just didn't think it was worth mentioning because it seems to have become extinct among shoppbotters (or dare I say, a lost art). Yes, you have color, macros, toolpath preview, what more could you ask for? Maybe a way of using it easily as your default editor that would also update the toolpath drawing. As you said, oh well.

Scott

ron brown
11-28-2004, 10:28 PM
VECTOR - what a program.

Not for sissies...

Ron

jf_allie
11-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Here is the file that Crimson Editor uses to assign different colors to different group of keywords. Unfortunately there are only 10 groups. What do you think would be the most usefull groupings.

Also if you keywords missing let me know.

J-F
-------------------------------
[KEYWORDS0:GLOBAL]
# ===== Statements =====
For
Next
Goto
Gosub
Return
Pause
End
Exit Shopbot
Print
Open
Close
Write
Output As
Shell

[KEYWORDS1:GLOBAL]
# ===== Settings Category Commands =====
SA SR SP SM SK SL SO SW SC ST SF SV Warning Off

[KEYWORDS2:GLOBAL]
# ===== Conditionals =====
If
Then
On
Input

[KEYWORDS3:GLOBAL]
# ===== Specials =====

[KEYWORDS4:GLOBAL]
# ===== File Category Commands =====
FP FE FN FG FC FS

[KEYWORDS5:GLOBAL]
# ===== Move Category Commands =====
MX MY MZ M2 M3 MH MA MB M4 M5 MO M0 MS

[KEYWORDS6:GLOBAL]
# ===== Jog Category Commands =====
JX JY JZ J2 J3 JH JA JB J4 J5 JS

[KEYWORDS7:GLOBAL]
# ===== Cut Category Commands =====
CC CP CA CG CR CS

[KEYWORDS8:GLOBAL]
# ===== Zero Category Commands =====
ZX ZY ZZ ZA ZB Z2 Z3 Z4 Z5 ZT

[KEYWORDS9:GLOBAL]
# ===== Math Functions =====
ABS AND ARCCOS ARCCOSH ARCCOT ARCCOTH ARCCSC ARCCSCH
ARCTANH ARCSEC ARCSECH ARCSIN ARCSINH ATN CLG COS COT
COTH CSC CSCH EXP LOG NOT OR SINH SECH SEC SIN SQR TAN TANH

# ===== Values Category Commands =====
VC VP VV VS VR VB VA VU VD VL VI VN VH VT VE VK

# ===== Record Category Commands =====
RR RP RS RA RI RZ

# ===== Utility Category Commands =====
UN UU UL UV UR US UD UI UC

dvanr
06-27-2006, 06:34 AM
Nice find Jean-François,

I know that the this post is about 1.5 years old , but this Crimson editor is free and useful. The colour syntax makes it easier to find mistakes and changing the screen colours to your own preference makes it easy to read for longer periods too.

It was bit fiddly getting it set up but worth it. If anyones interested, I can post the rest of the files and instructions.

FWiW it has macro recording as well.