PDA

View Full Version : CNC Hourly rate?

Kyle Stapleton
03-23-2013, 11:19 AM
How much does CNC/Design time go for these days?

khaos
03-23-2013, 11:27 AM
how much does cnc/design time go for these days?
80-125 usd

dlcw
03-23-2013, 04:31 PM
How much does CNC/Design time go for these days?

Design time $47 (shop rate). This includes actual model design as well as any custom hold down design requirements for their project.

Cutting time:

$1.00 per minute for one off retail projects

$.75 for lower volume (less then 100 parts per order), but regular wholesale orders

$.50 for high volume, regular wholesale orders

I tell customers as in all production operations, the first part will cost hundreds or thousands of dollars and each one after that will cost a dollar. It takes awhile for some to understand the production logic, but eventually they seem to understand.

MogulTx
03-24-2013, 03:19 PM
I charge a bit more than Don

- because I have a lot of starts and stops and 5-10 minute runs. A lot of set up and a lot of changing out of parts with tons of part handling. I go for about 65-75 per hour of shop time and 50 for design work. OTOH I do not charge for bits etc., unless it is really specialized. But I might get $8 for a 2 minute part. ( but it is two minutes and then a material change and that is another two minutes, and so on... it makes for a lot of jumping around).

You have to look at the opportunity and decide what your costs are and what it would take to make a profit, considering bits, materials, time, maintenance, etc.

And where I charge for machine time, I often give a big break on the design because I have a couple of accounts that are very regular and they pay their bill with no hassles... You gotta foster those kinds of relationships... Especially when they will bring me maybe 600 - 1000 production cuts, plus 60-1000 packing materials cuts this year, plus small template jobs and all that...