PDA

View Full Version : Total Rookie w/ woodworking needs assist

JackM
03-23-2013, 04:57 PM
About a month after receiving the Desktop, it is finally setup in the garage with sufficient number of power outlets and appropriate lighting. I won't bore y'all with why it took so long to get this far.

I have done the "air cuts" and was working my way thru the Getting Started booklet when ambiguity struck. The "Take a Test Spin" section had me:

doing "air cuts" [check]
testing proximity switches [check]
Z-axis zeroing [screeching halt]

This zeroing process assumes bits installed for touching the tip of the bit to the zeroing paddle. Hmmm, where did that "Installing the bit" information go? Not in my booklet. Not on the ShopBot Tools website. 100K schools? OK! There is a video set there specific to the Desktop.

Checked out the 7 videos for the Desktop. The video for installing the collett and bit shows TJ holding the two elements of the collett (a collar and a spring). My Desktop came with the collar installed on the spindle shaft and the springs (two sizes) in boxes. When I went to unscrew the collar from the spindle shaft it spun in a very freewheeling manner. How in the world do I get this thing disassembled/reassembled so I can mount a bit?

I do not want to screw up the spindle. I do not find any technical resource that addresses this and my timing was perfect (4 PM CDT on a Friday afternoon) to stew on it awhile.

I unloaded all that to ask this... How do I remove the collar from the free-spinning spindle shaft in order to mate the collett spring and bit with the business end of this carving machine?

Remember when you didn't know anything about woodworking? I request that you put your answer into that context. Which tools to use, how to use them, and what pitfalls to avoid.

I have repaired avionics on some of the largest aircraft in the world, taught high reliability soldering for the fastest aircraft in history BUT I have no frame of reference for attacking this particular technical roadblock.

Desktop owners: A little help?

Thanks!

Coogara
03-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Hi Jack,

I'm a recent new Desktop owner as well. There seem to be a few things not in the instructions that the videos help with but are not directly mentioned.

There are two tools that come with almost any machine with a spindle (and probably router). One has a pretty square opening and is positioned above the collet nut to hold the spindle shaft. The second tool with a number of knobbly points on it locks onto the collet nut so that it can be unscrewed. Work the two in opposite directions to each other to tighten and loosen the nut from the spindle.

Once the collet nut is removed I push the collet into the nut from above, larger diameter end first, so that it locks into the raised edge inside the collet nut. Don't be afraid to push. To remove the collet, push the top of it towards the outside of the collet nut so that it is achieving an angle to the collet nut and it will pop free. You can't just pull it out.

A collet will last no more than about 3 months when used 8 hours a day. Make sure the collet is free of dust on each bit change. Dust between the individual collet "fins" prevents proper tightening of the bit in the collet. I blow mine out with the compressor on each bit change. Some people put it in front of the dust collector hose. Whatever works for you.

Cheers

Graeme

chiloquinruss
03-23-2013, 05:19 PM
There should be two wrenches with your spindle, one looks like a regular open end wrench and it goes on the spindle shaft itself which keeps it from spinning and the other is special and looks like the one below and it grabs the collet itself. Always start the collet nut on with your fingers and do it carefully so as to NOT cross thread the collet nut. At this poine you 'should' be able to insert the bit and tighten the nut enough to hold it in place, then tighten with the wrenches. Russ

http://www.ldrider.ca/webphotos/collet-wrench.JPG

JackM
03-23-2013, 05:38 PM
There should be two wrenches with your spindle, one looks like a regular open end wrench and it goes on the spindle shaft itself which keeps it from spinning and the other is special and looks like the one below and it grabs the collet itself. Always start the collet nut on with your fingers and do it carefully so as to NOT cross thread the collet nut. At this poine you 'should' be able to insert the bit and tighten the nut enough to hold it in place, then tighten with the wrenches. Russ

http://www.ldrider.ca/webphotos/collet-wrench.JPG

Russ, thanks for the visual and the tip. Graeme, thanks for the response as well. Don't be afraid to push is exactly my reservation. I spent a bunch of my retirement $$ on this thing and it's a one-time good deal. One of these days, I would like to get myself and my wife downunder. Just one more lifelong dream to believe for.

Thanks again, both of you.

nat_wheatley
03-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Russ,

That's an extremely clear picture. What did you use to take it?

Nat

chiloquinruss
03-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Jack, give ShopBot a shout on Monday and see who is in your area that you can go visit. That's what I did and I have also made lots of the 'Camps' and even visited the 'mother temple' in NC. A fellow botter with hands on does wonders! Also go to the Vectric site and look at the wealth of tutorials, great stuff. And as you found out here, just ask and someone will jump in! :D Russ

MogulTx
03-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Russ

Did you make your own ER 25 collet wrench?? That looks sweet!

MGM

JackM
03-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Jack, give ShopBot a shout on Monday and see who is in your area that you can go visit. That's what I did and I have also made lots of the 'Camps' and even visited the 'mother temple' in NC. A fellow botter with hands on does wonders! Also go to the Vectric site and look at the wealth of tutorials, great stuff. And as you found out here, just ask and someone will jump in! :D Russ

Russ, I had plans to go to Durham but I had "Plumbers with Tools" and "Tunnel Technicians" redirect my monies for me.

The plumbing expedition has deferred much of my time and money. Now that they're near finished, I am looking for inexpensive advice on getting my Desktop cutting.

I know it won't be long now. The esprit de corps on this forum is like nothing I have experienced since I retired from the Air Force.