PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Table on Casters

doug_phillips
05-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Ok first question I have is, is there anyone here that has mounted their tables to casters? Reason, my shop space is very limited and I have everything on wheels so I can shuffle stuff around depending on the days project. I'm not looking to be able to move the table all the way across the room , just pull away from a corner to allow pass through of materials (no more than 6' one way and 3' another). I have a flat concrete floor but I can't guarantee that there isn't any surface variation. I could place caster "targets" on the floor so it will be in the same position each time, but would moving the unit itself pose a problem?

Thanks in advance.

Doug

steve4460
05-22-2006, 04:27 PM
Hi Doug

I have seen a shopbot with trailer tung jacks bolted on each leg , you know the type with the wheel on the end .The good thing about that is that you can raise and lower them after you moved the bot in to place . Just mark the floor where you normaly set the bot up for cutting so that you don't have to relevel it everytime you want to use it .
Check out this jack http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_6970_200155024_200155024
You might find it cheaper localy .
Bot on

doug_phillips
05-22-2006, 04:50 PM
Stephan, those are cool! Are they intended for short term rolling only or will the casters take the load while sitting in the corner for long periods? In other words the table would only be lowered when pulled out into position (couldn't reach the rear cranks when in the corner).

steve4460
05-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Hi Doug

I think these will support 1000 lbs each and I would guess that you can leave the bot sitting on them . Hopefully your floor is level where your parking it .

Bot on

stevem
05-22-2006, 06:19 PM
The real issue is not the wheels supporting the Bot, but the Bot staying true after moving. I think you’ll find that constant adjustment is necessary if you move the machine without first welding the table and adding gussets everywhere to reduce table twisting.