PDA

View Full Version : Egg Crate

MogulTx
06-29-2013, 04:01 PM
All,

I am trying to figure out how to draw an approximate egg crate kind of a surface in Aspire... What I want is an opposing peak and valley. Four sided peaks and four sided valleys, in a checkerboard type of offset.... Red squares might be peaks and black squares might be valleys, if you can visualize that.... Anyone know of any references that would let me see how to draw this?

Thanks,

MGM

Keyco Wood
06-29-2013, 04:22 PM
There is an 'egg and dart' tutorial shows how to make moulding with egg type profile... I have an egg plate pattern that I made for deviled eggs. look for tutorial... probably a vectric item

steve_g
06-30-2013, 12:11 AM
M...

Not having Aspire... I modeled it in SketchUp and exported it as a STL. You're welcome to any files I created if this gets you started!

SG

MogulTx
06-30-2013, 12:22 AM
Steve

The one in brown is almost exactly the type look I am going for. I want to have a small flat plateau at the top of each pyramid and a corresponding flat spot at the base of each inverted pyramid.
Tell me about sketch up and how I would do this kind of file in the program, please. I have a drawing program and want to be able to make a pattern of a set height, and an approximate angle and all, but I just can't figure out how to create this. I imagine that once I get the first pyramid, all I have to do is to checkerboard it over the area I want to cover, and then figure out what cutter to use to get it all sculpted... ( I am really stepping out to learn something new today!! And THANK YOU for helping push me forward!)

If you can tell me a little about what you did to create it, I will see about getting sketch up or drawing this in my program and getting it sized and all!!

Thanks again.

Monty

steve_g
06-30-2013, 07:23 AM
Monty...

The second image is the PartWorks 3D rendering of the STL created in SketchUp (image one). I'm sure It can be done in Aspire (likely easier). I did it so those unfamiliar with the packaging term "egg crate" can see what it is you're trying to create! Now hopefully an Aspire whizz will chime in and tell us how...

I occasionally teach SketchUp to 6th, 7th and 8th graders. It's amazing how after just a few pointers they can run with it! The online tutorial videos are very good.

SG

MogulTx
06-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Thanks! I will go look it up and see how I might be able to work with it. ANd then how I might be able to do it in Aspire, too.

I really appreciate your input.

khaos
06-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Here (joesboats.com/sb/eggcrate.zip)is the clip art. joesboats.com/sb/eggcrate.zip

This is aspire .clipart :)

HTH.

steve_g
06-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Joe...
Although technically not egg crate, it is an interesting design! True egg crate has the symmetrical peaks and valleys Monty mentioned in his first post. Packaging egg crate is compression cut (foam is passed through convoluted rollers and cut while compressed) One piece of foam yields two perfectly nested parts. The original purpose was to get effectively lower density packaging materials from cheaper stock... It also turned out to have desirable acoustic properties for sound studio recording walls!

SG

ssflyer
07-02-2013, 12:32 AM
Steve,

That's good - are you as old as I am? :D I used egg crates to make my anechoic recording studio back in the day - worked great!

steve_g
07-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Ron...

Old? Dirt has nothing on me! In the 70's I went to work for a packaging company that was developing a machine to cut egg crate for the military... The engineer in charge of the project quit his job after I was there about a week. I was given a crate of castings and machined parts and told the basic Idea of how it was supposed to work. Even though it wasn't my design, there was a lot of "me" in it when it was done!

SG

MogulTx
07-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Good for you Steve!

I am still working on the design I need. I have learned a little on how to draw them to the size/shape I want.... now trying to figure out how to arrange them the way I want them done... More involved than I want, but it is a good "learning experience"!!!

Since you are the resident expert, I will come to you for advice!;)

Thanks again.

Monty

khaos
07-03-2013, 01:05 PM
@MGM: are you looking for the first or second image provided by Steve? Are these close to what you are asking about?

- Joe

MogulTx
07-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Joe,

What Steve drew in that first pane is pretty close to what I am trying to draw. I want to draw flat tops and projections at both top and bottom and I will also want to trick it out a little more.... I tried to download the zip file you posted but have't been successful.

Monty

khaos
07-04-2013, 04:27 AM
ok. I think I can sow you how to make what you want or get you close.

make a grid of squares where the squares are the flat tops and bottoms. Make the size of the squares appropriate for what you need. Copy array is the best. Make sure you have space between the squares. This will become the slope. Now select every other square. These will be your peaks. I would group them. then group the remaining squares that are valleys.

make a rectangle around all your squares. Create a shape from vector raise a flat base this should be half the height you want your model. select your peaks and add the same height as your base. Then select your valleys. Subtract the same height. You should have roughly the first picture. Now, the secret sauce. Add a draft that works for your design. Then youll have what i have in pic 2 roughly. Adjust the draft angle and spacing to get your masterpiece.

HTH, :cool:

I guess you could just make the peaks as high as you want the model then add the draft. Less steps. mo betta.