PDA

View Full Version : Vertical ShopBot

svrfsvp
08-07-2001, 03:44 PM
Has anyone ever mounted their ShopBot on the wall? It sure would save on floor space!

rgengrave@aol.com
08-08-2001, 11:28 AM
If I remember right there was a shopbotter that had his raised off the floor? he had a hoist and would raise it up out of the way when not in use.

If you are talking about mounting it a 90 degree or 15 degree angle on a wall? you will be fighting the law of gravity, but someday a shopbotter will figure a way to do it.

Ron V

bill.young
08-08-2001, 01:25 PM
You would probably have problems with sideload on the stepper motors unless you did a pretty good job of counter-balancing; not only the weight of the Z-axis when it moved in the Y-direction, but also the weight of the whole moving carriage when it moved in the X-direction. Hold-down would take some head-scratching too; you wouldn't have gravity helping you.

I would bet that it would be do-able though. Let us know if you give it a try.

Bill

papad
08-08-2001, 06:09 PM
this could be done as Bill stated with counter-balancing you would need to configure the couter weight at the exact amout to over come the gravity of the Y carriage and the Z combined if you had it mounted with the long x carriage going up the wall, as far as hold downs with a bracket going along the bottom of the unit in the Y plain you could use this to keep sheet goods ect. aligned to the X plain and square ect.. Also you could allow gravity to come to your aide in the always proublem of dust collection just let it fallinto an angeled trough and then a sop vac on the low end.

papad
08-08-2001, 06:15 PM
man I just reread my message Where did I learn to spell? sorry guys I was in a bit of a rush. David

Gerald D
08-09-2001, 02:44 AM
Try this old topic (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/29/451.html?976474161) too.