PDA

View Full Version : Is My Z axis Worn Out?

flyguy
05-31-2009, 10:06 AM
I have a 5 yr old PRT with 4G board. It cuts very well, has about 900-1000hrs on it. My x-Y pinions were replaced about 100hrs ago and I am still getting circles etc that have small marks that appear to be from the Z axis plunge. I am just wondering if anyone can tell me if the Z axis is worn too much and/or if there is anything I can do to stiffen the Z axis lateral movement? Maybe a brace? Or extra rollers? If so are there links? I seached and have seen passing comments but can't find a good thread

Anyway you can see in the pic that the rail where the rollers don't get are nice and new looking and where the roller gets its knife edge sharp and you can see the wear more in places where the Z axis repeats a pluge more often.

Options?

Thanks
Mike Purcell

rhfurniture
05-31-2009, 12:36 PM
On this prt Z I have faced the tee extrusion with 100mm wide x 3mm thick ground plate and added BWC hardened rails. I have also clad the posts with 6mm bright steel to give a better base for the rollers and bring the moving assembly back to its original position. Works brilliantly.
R.