PDA

View Full Version : If anyone can help Now.

scottp55
09-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Just got a call from somebody about 75 miles north of here asking about the smaller bot's, he already has a larger cnc to make his bow component's but is thinking Desktop or buddy to do grips. He's on his way now(BOY he could have picked someone with more experience but desktops are thin on the ground here) with a sample of "DYMONDWOOD" an impregnated wood. Have never heard of it and never used my Ballnose(.125") either. He wants to see the finish of the cut HELP! feeds and speeds for 1/8" ballnose for dense, don't know what it's impregnated with, wood. Any experience with any bit in this type of wood welcome. It would really be bad to break my only ballnose while a stranger is watching, It would be nice to have another desktop in Maine . Thanks all.:confused:

srwtlc
09-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Scott, if he just wants to see finish quality with a 1/8" ballnose for say 3D cutting of grips, to save on wood and your bit, try just a shallow (0.05 or so) raster pocket toolpath with a stepover of 8% - 10% (8% would give a near sanding free finish). This would represent the finish you would see when doing 3D relief work. I haven't used any of that type of material, but I believe it should cut nice and clean from what I know about it. Try something like 3ips to start with for a cut like this and depending on whether you have a spindle or router, maybe 12000 on rpm. I don't have a desktop either, so I'm kind of guessing on what it can handle for speeds here.

If you have Aspire, you could try one of the simple 3D reliefs for a demo run.

Be sure to have him mention to SB that he Demoed at your site if he buys one.

Hope this helps a little in short notice. You'll do fine. ;)

If you need some help with a simple 3D relief for a test run, if time permits, feel free to ask.

scottp55
09-14-2013, 11:35 AM
Thanks Scott, Lifesaver. spindle no Aspire. That gets me into the ballpark, Don't know exactly what he wants or needs, NOT the way I was going to spend today but should be very interesting. 3 IPS sounds fast but no experience to go by,Still nervous,Shops a mess. Will let all know how it cuts. Why let Shopbot Know? Thanks again, If nothing else he'll be impressed by forum, As I was.

srwtlc
09-14-2013, 01:08 PM
ShopBot has a 'Demo' program where if you are a demo site, and someone buys a machine after demoing at your site, they will send you a check for whatever the set amount is for demo sales. Contact them to become a demo site.

Ernie Balch
09-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Dymond wood is a nice phenolic filled plywood that is used for knife handles. It machines, sands and buffs nicely.

scottp55
09-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys, so far he's a no show, but he was going to drop by Rockler to look at the Shark like I did, If Dave got a hold of him his wallet will be lighter when he leaves. Throwing a Jatoba scrap on to play with the ballnoses while I wait, I should at least know what my tools are. Many thanks. scott

scottp55
09-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Scott, 8% .1 depth,3IPS at 12,000 gave him what he thought was a sandfree finish, on the fly wrote his name in freehand script, showed him linear array for 1/2 sheets, He'll have to do the aspire. Probably wind up with Buddy and router to do full sheets. Nice stuff that DYMOND wood. Thanks all. Scott:)

Bob Eustace
09-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Scott good news for you! Shopbot will pay you $370 when he orders his Buddy as a demo fee! A very, very, fair company. Pop an email off to Dianne PRONTO saying his name and that you did the demo. Nothing underhand, it goes on the invoice too.

scottp55
09-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Nice to know Bob, but I think he'll buy used if he can. He mentioned one in Vermont that was for sale recently and it was sold before he could get it. I think he'll be like me and not even bother looking seriously at the shark anymore. Joe, when I drilled the screw holes I think it left a burr on the surface that screwed up the Z zeroing which is why we had to nudge it down, I just ran that same program on Padouk and it got it on the first try. Someone with 3D experience (or ANY more experience) could have helped you faster). Maybe post more on what you're looking for now in the wanted for sale section?

srwtlc
09-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Good to hear Scott. Glad it went well.

scottp55
09-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Not without your timely help Scott, Owe you one.

scottp55
09-15-2013, 07:45 AM
I was just curious after Joseph left. With Aspire, after Joe gets his 3D grip modeled can he cut a custom checkering into it and maybe a logo onto the grip? Seems it would vary depending on where on the curve and the type of bit, I didn't get very(barely)into Aspire tutorials (followed Brad's advice and concentrated on VCarve). Don't get too technical on me, just wondering. Will probably upgrade to Aspire next year when this desktop goes up North and I get an exact replacement.

scottp55
09-15-2013, 07:46 AM
BRADY's advice. sorry Brady insufficient caffeine and didn't preview.

scottp55
09-15-2013, 07:54 AM
That Demo program is kind of nice! Put it into a "Spindle jar". Do you guys think it would be a bridge to far for Scott to Demo for Scott and use the money for the new desktop? I would give a glowing recommendation to him for his influence on my decision to buy a Desktop. Nah! Dianne would never go for it,and I don't like going down in flames. Morning Nancy.:)