PDA

View Full Version : Quick Change Router Chucks?

Howley
09-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Does anybody have any experience with these quick change router chucks such as " Muscle Chuck" or "The Eliminator" both are between $70-$100.
Half a turn on a hex key and the bit is out, no fumbling with two wrenches using both hands.

Any input?

Thanks, John

rww
09-25-2013, 10:45 PM
I have used the eliminator chuck on a router table. It worked ok with small bits but had vibration issues with larger bits.

myxpykalix
09-26-2013, 10:51 AM
I used the eliminator chuck on my legacy with 2" and 3" bits like for barley twists, ect with no problem. But keep in mind these were short runs for things less the 4 feet in length.
I used it for rounding operations and 3/4 endmills with no issues for years but not in a setting of a production shop running all day. I probably wouldn't use one in a setting like that.:D

zeykr
09-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Tried one from Sears years ago when got my first shopbot. Pieces bounced off every wall in the building when it came apart.

chunkstyle
09-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Ive had one in my router table chucked in speedmatic for years without problems. Having one fly apart sounds scary.

myxpykalix
09-27-2013, 07:32 PM
I forgot to mention that mine was for 1/2 bits. I don't recall if i had a insert that let me use .25 bits or not.....:confused:

sawkerf
03-29-2014, 11:42 PM
I bought a muscle chuck for my Milwaukee last month. I'll have to say, I was almost impressed with it. I can use it for 1/4" bits for cutting out cabinets with no problems but I really wanted it for machining MDF doors with the big 1/2" bits. Way way way too much vibration for that. It was really loud and kinda scary to hear it whine with the bigger bits. I tried the prescribed method of eliminating the vibration with no luck. Conclusion...nothing is easy.:cool:

cabnet636
04-05-2014, 08:32 AM
after my experience with the quick change chuck that like others slung it self across my shop I was absolutely never gonna consider a QC check again,, I have been pleasantly surprised at this one !!

Us router tools has it

http://www.usroutertools.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=muscle+chuck&Search.x=8&Search.y=8

myxpykalix
04-05-2014, 09:43 AM
James,
When i had my legacy i used the eliminator chuck and never had any problems even with 2-3 inch bits however that was just for rounding, spiraling, twisting on short stock like 3 ft long, so relatively short periods of time.

I assume you are using yours all day, everyday for both round and flat operations with large and smaller bits with no problems?:confused:

sawkerf
04-05-2014, 10:22 PM
James, this is the exact one I bought directly from the manufacturer. I love the ease of changing the bits and it seems to have awesome holding power, but there is a distinct sound of vibration when I try to use anything larger than my 1/4" bits. Is there something I'm missing? I've tried the solution offered by the manufacturer to no avail.