PDA

View Full Version : Metal Laminates

jTr
09-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Anyone have a good resource / experience with metal laminates? Will be bending around a 1.5-3" radius -( I can tweak design to meet a minimum radius).

Local distributor is discouraging their product, as it never arrives without being damaged in transit....

Thanks!

jeff

jerry_stanek
09-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Does it have to be laminate or could you use vinyl.

jzarski1
09-26-2013, 08:13 PM
I have used a product called max metal from Grimco. Not sure if that will work. It cuts great on the cnc and can be bent.

John

jTr
09-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Jerry-
Metal is specified.
John,
Sounds good - i'll see if I can connect with them. I've done this before with aluminum flashing to make a modern toe kick base, but this one's going to be for a desk, so I'll need to form a ~30" wide sheet around the pedestal base. I'd feel more confident in the bond if it is a product prepped to accept the glue, plus a factory applied film on show face for scuff protection would be good.
Have you done similar type of layup with the metal product?

Thanks guys!
Jeff

bleeth
09-27-2013, 06:20 AM
Jeff:
Formica and Wilsonart laminates have lines of metal laminates that come with the face protected by a coat of peel-ply. A couple other manufacturers are Decotone and Chem-metal. Some of their products only come pre-bonded to phenolic backer, which is a bit tougher to make radius, but some are available with no backer and since they are thin aluminum they bend very well. Contact cement works fine for adhesive.

jerry_stanek
09-27-2013, 07:57 AM
Jeff:
Formica and Wilsonart laminates have lines of metal laminates that come with the face protected by a coat of peel-ply. A couple other manufacturers are Decotone and Chem-metal. Some of their products only come pre-bonded to phenolic backer, which is a bit tougher to make radius, but some are available with no backer and since they are thin aluminum they bend very well. Contact cement works fine for adhesive.

His problem is the radius it is hard to bend laminate that tight.

jTr
09-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Dave -
You're spot on with what I'm seeking - my local distributor has a different brand, but they really don't want to handle this stuff due to those shipping issues. They can't seem to get it in undamaged, even paying freight expense to go on a flat pallet.

I have another distributor in a close-by region, so will likely seek the Formica brand - good to hear they have an option to go w/o phenolic back as well, as logic suggests that will yield quite well around the radius I need.

Thanks for all the input!

Jeff

bleeth
09-28-2013, 08:31 AM
I end up with orders for things using this stuff all the time. Only shipping issue I ever had was some perforated metal we got from McNichols, and they stood behind it and re-shipped.