PDA

View Full Version : Stamp

kubotaman
09-28-2013, 01:56 PM
I just got a request to have me make a hand stamp to apply to empty boxes. I was wondering what a person should use as far as materials. The size will be approximately 9 inches in diameter. I have not seen the design but was told they are not looking for a "pefect" stamp. They request it to be a little on the sloppy side like paint splattered. I have not cut any "rubbery" materials so am not sure if it would cut well. Can a second surface be applied to a wooden stamp so it will apply the ink well? Anyone have any suggestions?

gundog
09-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Do a search the guy who makes the drag knives did an excellent post on this a little while back.

Here you go http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17906&highlight=drag+knife

Mike

kubotaman
09-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Mike, thank you but I have seen that video. The problem is he is doing it with the drag knife. I don't have one so is there another way someone can help?

zeykr
09-28-2013, 06:44 PM
You can get blank rubber stamp pads at hobby lobby. Haven't routed one, but may work. Don't forget to reverse the image.

myxpykalix
09-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Daryl,
Watch the video he referenced and in actuality the only thing you might do differently is instead of cutting it with a drag knife, use some 1/4 or 1/2 insulation foam and do a pocket toolpath of your logo in the foam and apply it to the cradle applicator. Not sure if it will be that flexible but you could do it just flat too.:D

As i recall i asked him and he wasn't using ink (would be cost prohibitive i think?) he was using a paint.

donek
09-28-2013, 11:03 PM
I just got a request to have me make a hand stamp to apply to empty boxes. I was wondering what a person should use as far as materials. The size will be approximately 9 inches in diameter. I have not seen the design but was told they are not looking for a "pefect" stamp. They request it to be a little on the sloppy side like paint splattered. I have not cut any "rubbery" materials so am not sure if it would cut well. Can a second surface be applied to a wooden stamp so it will apply the ink well? Anyone have any suggestions?

There are heat moldable foams that can be used for making stamps. You could cut a cavity, heat up the foam and then clamp it against the cavity to produce your positive. You can search these materials on youtube.

khaos
09-28-2013, 11:38 PM
What about those tiled foam anti fatigue pads with the faux diamond plate? they are 2'x2' tiles and i think they are about 25 bucks for 8 pads...

mikeacg
09-29-2013, 09:18 AM
Do you have an art store nearby? Check out linoleum like they use for relief printing. It cuts real good by hand (kind of like a wood cut substitute) so I can't see why it wouldn't work on the CNC...

Mike

kubotaman
09-29-2013, 12:19 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions. One thing that everyone should realize is I live on an island which makes it very hard to obtain supplies like the one's suggested. I have to use UPS for something like this. Thank you again

bleeth
09-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Good thing there's a ferry, huh? ;)
If someone there sells flooring they may have thinner linoleum whic can work quite well.

sneakers
09-29-2013, 03:13 PM
When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Find someone with a laser and get it done right. You will save time and money. Your customer will thank you.

Good luck
Gary