PDA

View Full Version : Elbow Tendonitis

donek
09-30-2013, 12:10 AM
My most valuable guy in the shop has developed tendonitis in his elbow. We've filed a workman's comp claim and I'm sure he's going to be on modified duty. The question is how to modify machinery so it doesn't happen again. Feeding the planer is a big one for him. I don't know that it will be possible to fix that one. Another is the counterbore operation he does on the drill press. I'm thnking a foot actuator would help on that machine, but can't seem to find any video or plans for such a device online. I have my own ideas, but thought I'd check to see if anyone here has created something similar, or has a solution. Unfortunately we can't perform this op with the CNC. Surely there's some one armed woodworker out there that's done this. Maybe someone here has seen a solution.

myxpykalix
09-30-2013, 12:45 AM
It might be cheaper to replace the worker...:(
I don't see how even modifying the same tasks will not aggravate the existing conditions. I have a torn rotator cuff and torn bicep tendon and even after surgery the repetitive nature of some tasks makes the pain unbearable. I can't do back and forth motion like sawing with a handsaw or hammering. I have adopted the attitude of "if i can't do it with a power tool, i ain't doin' it":eek:

I have seen board feeders, if this is what you are talking about:
http://www.woodworkerssource.com/power_feeders.html
Since i'm unclear on exactly how you have a setup for counterboring with the drill press my first thought was to take the handle off the drill press and replace it with a bicycle sprocket and chain leading down to a sprocket with the pedals down low that turn the drill press handle.

Just envision a bicycle facing downward and you pedal backward and forward to raise and lower. :eek::D

donek
09-30-2013, 10:39 AM
It might be cheaper to replace the worker...:(
I don't see how even modifying the same tasks will not aggravate the existing conditions. I have a torn rotator cuff and torn bicep tendon and even after surgery the repetitive nature of some tasks makes the pain unbearable. I can't do back and forth motion like sawing with a handsaw or hammering. I have adopted the attitude of "if i can't do it with a power tool, i ain't doin' it":eek:

I have seen board feeders, if this is what you are talking about:
http://www.woodworkerssource.com/power_feeders.html
Since i'm unclear on exactly how you have a setup for counterboring with the drill press my first thought was to take the handle off the drill press and replace it with a bicycle sprocket and chain leading down to a sprocket with the pedals down low that turn the drill press handle.

Just envision a bicycle facing downward and you pedal backward and forward to raise and lower. :eek::D

Thanks Jack. I see this sort of thing as an inherent flaw in the system. Engineering the problem out of the system makes everything more robust. Happy workers are more productive. I've spent the morning reprogramming a CNC operation to eliminate his biggest pain issue on the surface planer. It requires an additional 5 minutes on the CNC, but he has many other tasks that can be accomplished in that time.

I had a similar idea on the drill press, but my chief complaint is that we are creating a linear motion, converting it to rotational motion in order to get the drill press to move up and down in a linear motion. It seems to me that there has to be a better hack on that drill press. Perhaps I but a cheap harbor freight and start taking it apart and add an air cylinder, and completely defeat the typical lever actuator.

jerry_stanek
09-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Why not a step on pedal that is connected to the spindle. Something like this don't laugh at the dxf as I did it in about 1 minute

scottp55
10-01-2013, 08:48 AM
Needs more thought, but if that pedal was an actual bicycle pedal attached to the right crank arm(forged not swaged) and chainring (52 teeth) with bottom bracket attached(totalled bicycle?) .Wrap the chain around side facing you and redrive chainpin into hole drilled by you in chainring at max wrap. chain goes up and over a "track" bicycle rear hub(fixed hub) and them down to a 52tooth chainring attached to drillpress handle it would be totally rotational and have a 1:1 ratio. Ratio could be changed by chainring size on either end. depending on brand anywhere from 34t-54t(expensive brand) or most common is 42 and 52 teeth. chain alignment may be a problem, but chain length not with chain tool(cheap).

scottp55
10-01-2013, 08:50 AM
In other words, LIKE JACK SAID.

jerry_stanek
10-01-2013, 09:31 AM
With just a step on pedal you cold use just a large pulley with a cable attached to it, You could even make your pulley on the bot.

myxpykalix
10-01-2013, 02:00 PM
If you didn't want to do the bicycle thing, how bout replacing the pedal power aspect with a sprocketed stepper type motor? You would have to figure out a way to acuate it like a pedal on the floor for up/down. This example may not be strong enough but i wanted to give the link so you could get the idea i'm talking about. They may also have the type of switches, ect you need also.
http://www.mpja.com/09-24-13.asp?r=350255&s=11

CNYDWW
10-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Clamp a double sided armature to the collar on the spindle. This would be the same location as a mortising attachment would clamp. Use to pneumatic actuators with spring return. Make sure the combined force of the actuators is appropriate for the operation. You can use valves to control pressure which will adjust the speed of the actuators. I've seen this done on horizontal boring machines and large drill presses alike.

Regards
Randy

donek
10-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Clamp a double sided armature to the collar on the spindle. This would be the same location as a mortising attachment would clamp. Use to pneumatic actuators with spring return. Make sure the combined force of the actuators is appropriate for the operation. You can use valves to control pressure which will adjust the speed of the actuators. I've seen this done on horizontal boring machines and large drill presses alike.

Regards
Randy

This is where I had arrived today. I'll have to machine a new collar clamp, but if the recoil spring is left in tack, it should be possible to leave the drill press functioning in both modes.