PDA

View Full Version : Drawing size does not match cut size.

tracys
09-30-2013, 01:22 PM
I have an irregular shaped piece that I need to cut a groove (dado) into on 3 sides. The black wave shape is my photo. The white line just inside the perimeter is my toolpath objective. I have done these before, but never had the problem I am having now.

I started by taking an overhead photo of the object. I imported the photo into Aspire and traced the lines. The white line is the path I need to follow. Once I had it looking good I joined the bottom with a straight line in order to size or scale the object. I then cut the piece on a piece of cardboard to check my work.

I’ve cut several pieces, retook the picture. Basically started over twice. I’ve scaled it using my fixed dimensions of x and y and locking x and y, only using y. The piece is coming out big in the x direction.

In the screen shot picture. I have drawn a box around the object with the correct dimension, it’s right on.

When I measure the width in x using the table saw fence as a guide it measures 33.109” I need it to be 32.6875”. The dimensions in y are correct on the sample.

I’ve triple checked the dimensions, drawing, tool path, correct bit in spindle. Nothing jumps out why I have a change in dimension from drawing to actual cutting.

Anyone have a guess?