PDA

View Full Version : Sign that i am doing

genek
11-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Here is a sign that I am doing for the University of Kentucky.

but I need some help.

question one. Can I epoxy the surface then do the carving.
question two. how do I create pebble back ground.

thanks

genek
11-05-2013, 07:26 PM
forgot Pictures

Bob Eustace
11-05-2013, 08:51 PM
It is easy Gene. Just pop onto Google and search for peebles. Trace bitmap in Vectric then v carve away the bit between the stones. Can send you pics of stuff we have finished this way if you wish?

genek
11-05-2013, 09:40 PM
It is easy Gene. Just pop onto Google and search for peebles. Trace bitmap in Vectric then v carve away the bit between the stones. Can send you pics of stuff we have finished this way if you wish?
Bob would love to see them. up till now I only have been doing wooden signs and they were easy no back ground texture

Bob Eustace
11-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Eugene - did you get the five pebble backgrounds that Chrissy did for you?

genek
11-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Eugene - did you get the five pebble backgrounds that Chrissy did for you?
I have gotten two e-mails from Her. I have not had a chance to look at them. Emergency came up with Tina Had to leave shop Wed. and Just now getting back to shop. I really appreciate this. Do I owe you anything.
I hope she did not tool path it. would like to see how she drew it. I learn more that way.

Thanks for them.

genek
11-12-2013, 12:07 AM
Signs finally cut and setting on shop floor. will epoxy top of letters wed. and start painting friday.
Thanks to everyone.

genek
11-12-2013, 12:10 AM
pictures did not upload before I hit submit.

Bob Eustace
11-12-2013, 12:46 AM
Not bad for your first bash at signs.

joe
11-12-2013, 06:33 AM
Excellent work.

This panel has a nice large double border and the copy is sized up just about right. The background will be nice to texture.

Not too fond of the base for the tree. Why not get a scrap of HDU and whittle out a nice grassy base for it to set on. You could use any kind of tool like a Drimel to carve it a base. I'm afraid it's going to float away as it is now. I'll post a photo a little later.

Joe

joe
11-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Perhaps this photo might give you an idea.

David Iannone
11-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Great looking sign Eugene. Thanks for all the sharing you do on the forum. I enjoy reading your posts. I also bought your first design CD. Excellent stuff.

khaos
11-15-2013, 02:08 PM
I know this thread is a little old.
Here is a pebble background (http://foo.joesboats.com/sbdownloads/Pebbles.zip) I made. You are free to use it however you like.

http://foo.joesboats.com/sbdownloads/Pebbles.jpg

HTH,

genek
11-17-2013, 08:03 PM
Would like to take all who are trying to help.. I like the designs everyone has sent or offered, however I do not learn by using someone Else's work. Tell me how you did it let me learn how you did it so I can do it on my own. Joe thanks for showing me your tree. I actually designed the tree from the tree in the park. They did not want it 3/d they wanted the tree to be flat on top.

genek
11-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Excellent work.

This panel has a nice large double border and the copy is sized up just about right. The background will be nice to texture.

Not too fond of the base for the tree. Why not get a scrap of HDU and whittle out a nice grassy base for it to set on. You could use any kind of tool like a Drimel to carve it a base. I'm afraid it's going to float away as it is now. I'll post a photo a little later.

Joe

Joe tried to get them to let me add grass they would not let me. they wanted the tree in the park so that is what I drew from.. Need some fast advice what do you use to prime the epoxy with so that latex will stick to it.
I will owe you big time.

genek
11-25-2013, 12:24 PM
I delivered the three signs this morning, They were thrilled with the signs.
Easy way to do a textured background to me is to use sand mixed with the paint. That turned out great. You have to watch where you spread the mixture and be sure to clean off anything that you do not want the sand on. (it will cut marks as you try to sand off.) I built a rack to haul all three signs with in the back of my pickup out of 2x4 and 1 inch blue sign foam. They traveled the 2 hours with out even a scratch.

They loved the way I had it set up to mount to the post. Their men attached the signs in less than 40 minutes. I had used 1/2" mdo as a backer, drilled holes for the 3/8 threaded t-nuts/ I had drilled holes in the hdu where all the screws would go to attach the mdo, then with a 1.5 inch fostner bit I drilled the holes out and poured with epoxy. After the epoxy Dried I drilled my screw holes and attached the back (I may have done over kill 25 Screws to mount the back on) but it is sturdy. At the last minute they decided that they wanted the two signs joined so I routed the back 1/16 inch smaller than the sign. This way they could run metal around the outer edge of both signs and thus join the signs and make them look like one sign. I had already painted the back of the hdu when they decided this and they did not want to wait for more hdu to get in. Will take pictures after they get the flashing between the two signs done.

They also informed me that after the Thanksgiving Holiday that they would be sending over some more signs that they want cut.

Thanks to all that have given me advice. Boy was this a rush... Had a great time doing these three signs.
smallest was 36 by 55, the other two was 36 x 72 double border.

joe
11-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Congratulations on work well done.

genek
11-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Congratulations on work well done.
Thank you Joe, how is the weather in your area, Hope it not to bad.
Thanks for the help, I enjoyed doing the signs. The sand texture with a little practice really was a nice touch to the sign. Made it pop.

My back killing me from being bent over to paint. If I start doing a lot of them I plan on making me a table that will allow me to sit, rotate the sign and tilt it as needed plus let me slide it sideways. I worked off of my sliding table saw which helped but was at the wrong height to paint comfortably. The siding part really made it convenient I could stand in one spot and slide the sign.