PDA

View Full Version : Grounding

Michaelodunk
11-14-2013, 12:03 AM
I just moved my PRS from Michigan to Colorado and I'm in the process of
putting it back together. I wanted to get all the wiring and ground right and neat (something I'm not very good at). I started with a ground wire on the Back rear leg. I got out my meter because I wanted to check continuity which was good. I started checking the ground continuity all over the machine and this one wire to any other place on the machine shows good continuity. Even the Router body and the gantry, everywhere.
So it seems that I have well grounded machine. Am I right or wrong??

I know the DC is another story I haven't started that yet.

adrianm
11-14-2013, 03:52 AM
I have one braided copper wire running from a cleaned spot on a leg to a four foot copper spike in the ground and that's worked fine for me and I cut a huge amount of MDF which is terrible for static.

Long winded way of saying you should be fine (IMO) although I know the ShopBot grounding doc recommends a lot more connections than that.

gundog
11-14-2013, 06:55 PM
There is a difference between grounding and bonding but the problem is the term grounding is used to comonly in place of bonding. A driven ground rod attached to your service panel or sub panel is your ground point all other connections should be bonded to that ground.

A driven ground that is not tied into your service grounding system is not a good idea and can create a difference in ground potential and a dangerous condition should your service ground ever be severed. This can also cause grounding loops that create problems.

Ohming out your frame does not tell you if you have a good ground because you are reling on moving parts to make electrical connections and they will never be as good as a good electrical connection.

I would use the documentation ShopBot gives you for grounding but think in terms of bonding to your ground source.

Mike

adrianm
11-15-2013, 04:25 AM
Forgot to mention of course that I'm based in the UK where things are very different in terms of electricity compared to the US. The copper spike I connected to is the same one as that used by the shop's electrical supply.

Always take advice from locals. One of these days we might have world standards but I doubt I or my grandchildren will see it!