PDA

View Full Version : Keyhole Slot Router Bit

Stephen50
11-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Per the subject matter, I want to cut to two slots on the reverse side of my material to allow the plaque to hang on a wall any suggestions on the process I should follow to create those slots? I'm using the latest version of V Carve Pro

adrianm
11-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Look on the gadgets menu in VCarve. There is a gadget that does exactly this job.

srwtlc
11-18-2013, 05:05 PM
The other method is to draw a line starting where your entry point is, then make it the length that you want the slot, then click back on the start point again and the line will end (turn on snaps and geometry snapping). Now toolpath that with a profile 'On' and select 'Use vector start points'. The tool is just a dummy tool that I call a keyhole bit and the diameter is the large diameter of the bit. If you look at the toolpath in the 3D view (not preview), you'll see that the start and finish are at the same point and the length is in the material. If you need more than one slot, you can mirror copy or copy/paste and move etc.

Tip...Save the toolpath as a template to use again next time you need some keyslots.

knight_toolworks
11-18-2013, 05:07 PM
even easier just make a rectangle say only .02 wide make the start point on the corner where you want it to start. always make sure you are not doing a ramp cut.

scottp55
11-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Neat Gadget, also good for other things.

Bob Eustace
11-19-2013, 06:20 PM
Stephen, I use the keyhole gadget almost everyday and it works fantastic. Just have a folder full of separate files for various centres. Saves a lot of time. Had a few stuff ups initially because I didnt hold down enough. Developed the procedure to do keyholes FIRST. That way if you have a stuff up you only lose the material and not hours of 3D machining. Another thing you learn early is NEVER hit the red button in an emergency!

curtiss
11-19-2013, 07:17 PM
I like the two flute keyhole bit from Home Depot.

Move it very slowly, say .3 inches per second. Practice in mdf which is pretty soft.

For a picture, the slot should be horizontal say 2 inches long, so you can slide it back and forth so it hangs level.

A thin rectangle profile cut works well, plunge and start cutting from a corner.

Bob Eustace
11-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Another thing to keep your eye on Stephen is breaking through deeper vee varved letters on the front.

pappybaynes
11-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Scott - that's a great variation to the peg compartment that I do...I am just over in NH - Manchester area. Dick

scottp55
11-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Thanks Dick, But because the channel is square the peg tips slide past each other and jam. Ordered a 3/8" plunge ball end cutter with a 1/4" shank like on the "Lazy Susan with marbles" and think that will give it to me. Also tried a .2" wide rectangle full length and removed the waste full depth which gave me a cleaner cut and let's me use more angles than the 90 the keyhole gadget gives me. Work in progress.

scottp55
11-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Dick, you said you were doing something similar? Post pic or e-mail me as it's driving me bonker's for an elegant solution. scottkport@gmail.com Don't want to clutter off-topic.

sawkerf
11-20-2013, 09:20 PM
What about artcam users? Is there a similar feature?

scottp55
12-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Scott and Steve, Thanks. Using both of your methods combined on a project I'm doing using 30 degree angles. Scott, it was driving me nuts that 2 out of the three slots were doing exactly what I wanted and the third started at the opposite end of slot until I reread your post and realized I still had it optimized. Thanks