PDA

View Full Version : HINGES

coach
12-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Any good links for semi concealed hinges?
I usually purchase these on line. Prices have gone through the roof.
Drawer slides are also needed.
Any help is greatly apreciated.

Gary Campbell
12-22-2008, 09:12 PM
David...
What brand(s) do you prefer?
Gary

steve_fedor
12-23-2008, 06:48 AM
dlawlesshardware.com

bleeth
12-23-2008, 07:01 AM
Hafele.

henrik_o
12-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Hettich and Häfele.

gerryv
12-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Lee Valley?

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/Index.aspx?c=1&is=L

coach
12-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Gary, brand is of no concern. For low budget cabinets for low budget apt complex.
I am checking out all the links. Time dictates saving as much as possible.
Things are so competative.
Standard laminate tops are down almost $6.00 per linear foot. Everybody is hungry.

Thanks everyone for the help.
David

Gary Campbell
12-23-2008, 09:15 PM
David..
I think that Salice from Hardware Systems/Imagination & Co. Were about the least expensive I can remember.

You might sign in to Hafele US and check out their prices. Lightning shipping from NC.

Gary

coach
12-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Gary, is that Hardware sysems / Imagination in Orlando?
If so did you know they combined with Tech Products?
They are now Hardware Tech. I tried to start using them again just last week.
They are way to expensive these days.
I used Hardware Imagination almost exclusively until the merger.
How about some information on green cabinetry?
Once again Gary,,,Thanks for the help.
David

Gary Campbell
12-23-2008, 10:26 PM
David...
Yes...or so I thought. I was a loyal user back to 83 with Russ Butler that started Imagination & Co. We shared a shop in Sarasota and he sold hardware out of his truck. I stuck with them for a while after he sold to Hardware systems.

We moved on to a higher end product than they seemed to deliver, and I never could come to terms with the price/value of Trend. Now that they are one, I remove my recommendation. Sorry.
Gary

beacon14
12-23-2008, 11:58 PM
If you buy hinges by the case from Hafele they are surprisingly affordable, I'm paying 55 cents for a standard 35mm cup hinge plus euro mounting plate with screws attached.

bleeth
12-24-2008, 05:07 PM
David: I've been doing a bunch of green cabinets lately and it can be a real pain. These were p-lam and had color interiors and so we couldn't use green melamine So we had to go with Skyblend MDF and postlam using waterborn contact. Usual costs per laid up sheet nearly doubled and to make it worse the product had a nice bow to it making machining, manufacturing, and install a blast. I support the concept 1000 percent and have volunteered for a green committee at the local ABC chapter, but so far, getting product is heck and some of the companies (like Dixie Ply) outright rip you off.

coach
12-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Dave, That water base contact sux. It bonds well but takes forever to set up. Not to mention the cost. I tried 2 gallons,,I still have one left. Too time consuming. Also,,,,I used to order my laminate laid up prior to delivery. The company uses water base glue. The 4x8 sheets looked like potato chips within a week. Not very useful on the bot.
They had a solution,,,for $7.00 per sheet up charge they would put a backer on. I am laying up all my sheets in house.
I never have warping....I was wondering if it was from the water in the adhesive causing the problem?

wberminio
12-24-2008, 06:38 PM
I don't believe your warping is caused by the H20 adhesive.Whenever one panel side is finished(laminated),then the other side needs to be sealed as well(backer board).This equalizes the absorption of moisture which causes the warping in panels.

Erminio

coach
12-24-2008, 08:03 PM
Erminio,,I agree 100%. I place all laminated wood laminate side up with a 3/4" x3/4"x 48" (25" for sink deck) piece of scrap under the center of the bottom board. Also I have never had a potato chip form with solvent base.
I wish I knew why because I like to get some jobs brought in laid up.
David

bleeth
12-25-2008, 08:57 AM
I've been doing a lot of single side lay-up for a while now when it comes to p-lams. It is generally laid up, machined, assembled, and installed in a brief period of time and therefore there are no exposed unfinished sides for long. We had the same warpage problem on this job with parts finished both sides. Never had much of a warpage problem before using the Skyblend. Since the casework for the job is now complete, hopefully I won't have to deal with it again soon. Commercially,this is the first time in years cabinet interiors have been spec'd in anything except black or white. I wouldn't think of laying up veneer without a balancer however. For one thing the AWI forbids it, and in fact doesn't approve of paper backer. All of our veneer panel jobs go up with a veneer back that is also sealed.
This same project has quite a bit of that and it is laid up on Medite II.FR. No warpage at all. I would like to have used Arreis for the boxes but couldn't get it. For those interested here is a link to the Sierra Pine page on their eco-friendly MDF:
http://www.sierrapine.com/index.php?pid=11

More and more projects in general are coming across with "green" requirements and when "LEED" certification is part of the deal then the paperwork can be as much of a bear as locating and using the correct products.

wberminio
12-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Dave
I noticed on the sierra pine website they have "Customwood" Imported Ultralight Radiata Pine MDF
This maybe the same or similar to Trupan.Those of you that can't get Trupan might want to check this out.

Erminio