PDA

View Full Version : Black light

coach
12-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Anybody heard of a laminate that will "sparkle" under a black light? This is a request I got. It doesn't need to glow but they asked for sparkle.
I am going to call the supplier but I figure they will just laugh...thanks,,,,no laughing.
David

myxpykalix
12-29-2008, 05:14 PM
As I recall my teenage blacklight poster years it seemed to me that it was the luminous paint in the poster that created the glowing effect, so you would need for your particles to have that same type paint on them.
If as you say you don't want them to glow, but sparkle than they need more of a reflective property to them however a blacklight won't make them sparkle. You might need to settle for a Disco ball.lol

khaos
12-29-2008, 06:55 PM
A water/oil based pearl in the clear coat. A white pearl will 'appear' to glow/sparkle under the black light. Mixed thin enough it would be barely noticeable in ordinary light.

khaos
12-29-2008, 07:02 PM
another thought. a metal powder additive the same color as the finish would definitely sparkle. this finish is commonly called "metal flake".

A combo of the two mixed VERY thinly will give a very 1960s feel under a black light.

billp
12-29-2008, 07:11 PM
David,
Titebond makes a fluorescent glue which shows up under black light;
http://www.titebond.com/IntroPageTB.ASP?UserType=1&ProdSel=ProductLineTB.a sp?prodline=9?prodcat=3
Maybe you could roll a layer of it on top of your surface?

nomi
12-30-2008, 07:57 PM
You might want to look into this paint:

http://www.modernmastersinc.com/products.aspx?pl=WLD

Looks like it might possibly be a solution.

- Noel

voll
12-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Try:
http://goldenpaints.com/

You can talk with technical, and they will mix up custom paints

bleeth
12-31-2008, 12:33 PM
Dave: Formica recently came out with a finish line called something like "Reflections" It is a sparkly finish available on some product. I don't know if it will sparkle under ultra-violet but it sparkles under Halogen quite a bit. I think they did it for Horizontal use to make more "granite-like" look.

khaos
12-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Just as a follow on. The metal flake option could easily be added to any medium. Also, this is a very fine powder. Not the huge flakes you see on bass boats. Your mix rate for what you want would be like 1/4 a tea spoon per gallon of finish. It goes an incredibly long way.

HTH,

khaos
02-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Hey Coach, did you get this resolved? What was the outcome? I am sure that the rest of the picture hounds out there would like to see the end results too.

coach
02-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Joe, I never found a laminate that glowed under black light. I was at the guys business that requested it and another guy brought laminate in and said it glowed in the dark.
He got it from Dixie Plywood. So I called Dixie as they told me thaey didn't know of it.
They still told me they never heard of anything.
I got 2 sales reps looking in to it as I told them I saw their name on the sample that were told to glow.
I never got a response and didn't get the job.
Who knows?
Dave