PDA

View Full Version : FAT 16 or FAT 32?

lin
02-24-2003, 07:11 PM
Our new ShopBot will be arriving within days (!) and we are re-formatting our computer that will be running the ShopBot software. Windows 98 will be loaded, but we are being prompted to decide whether or not to run the system in FAT 16 or FAT 32. We would prefer FAT 32 - will the ShopBot software run on that?

gerald_d
02-25-2003, 01:51 AM
Our SB has run on 3 different PC's with FAT 32 formatted hard-drive file structures. I think it is a non-issue.

johnandrhondawebb@netzero.net
02-25-2003, 02:48 AM
Man, whenever it comes down to starting from scratch & formatting a drive & putting an OS on, it's hard to consider FAT32 (let alone FAT16)after you've worked with NTFS running Win2K (or XP once you get used to it). The drive access is so much more efficient & you rarely have to defrag. I was told by Diane in sales that the Win2K versions is still in beta & is not recommended for production purposes. Any Win2K beta testers out there having any luck/problems?

eric@rainbowboats.com
02-25-2003, 08:17 PM
I use Win Me with 32 bit drive, no problems in 2 years.

Eric

lin
02-25-2003, 08:51 PM
Thank you all for your responses. FAT 32 it is. Wednesday (tomorrow) is our install and we're ready. This forum is great!

papadaveinwy
02-26-2003, 12:53 PM
Eric what is your trick to using winme with no proublems I crash alot. not in the shopbot program but just the Wineee ME ME ME ME ME I am switching over to 200 pro as soon as the new software is done for the bot.

eric@rainbowboats.com
02-26-2003, 08:48 PM
Well I am not sure of any tricks. I upgraded a Dell 500 from 98 to me and it has worked fine ever since.

I am a Sr. Computer Programmer/Analyst for my real job and think that your move to 2000 is a good one. Not a good choice for a pc that runs games but chances are your not running games on your bot pc.

Have you downloaed all the updates for ME? Checked for viruses? just a few ideas.

Feel free to aks any questions, I'll try to help out.

Eric

papadaveinwy
02-26-2003, 11:16 PM
Eric I was only jokeing the only proublem I have is that I really don't like Me that much was disapointed when upgraded from '98 seems it is just 98 with some other proublems I have done all the updates etc I really need to get more ram for all the programs I'm running have a time out proublem on heavy graphic conversions,just nono secs but it can be agrivating.David in Wyoming.