PDA

View Full Version : Vcarve problem

Travis
02-27-2014, 09:24 PM
Having something strange going on when I cut some text and I have no idea why it's doing what it's doing. I've resurfaced my spoil board, so I don't believe that is the issue. I am holding material down with adhesive and believe that is not the issue either (but can't be certain), and even went so far as to completely re-work my file from scratch thinking perhaps there was something corrupted in the original file but I keep getting the same results in a few letters. It is extremely cold and shop is around 30 degrees, but I'm inclined to think if it were weather related my problem would not be isolated to only a few areas, and always the same letters/design. If anyone can offer some assistance I would be very grateful.

Brady Watson
02-27-2014, 09:34 PM
What material and how fast? Is the material dead flat? It almost looks like there are high & low spots on the material face.

How's your collet? Bit in there nice & snug? Inner part of collet - and shank of bit - do they show signs of slipping?

-B

scottp55
02-27-2014, 11:14 PM
Travis, What does the preview of that same section look like?

jerry_stanek
02-28-2014, 07:01 AM
Can you post the crv of the letters that are bad It may be the font you are using

gc3
02-28-2014, 08:19 AM
http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2164

bobmoore
02-28-2014, 08:58 AM
I am with Jerry on this one. That line across the top looks pretty consistant so I think it is a bad font.
Bob

Travis
02-28-2014, 01:18 PM
I am cutting Restoration Millwork (similar to Azek) painted with a textured Rustoleum paint. Feed is 1.7 and material is flat. I see no evidence of any wear or slippage any where and there is no evidence in the preview that this should be a problem. There are other identical letters that cut perfectly, so is it unreasonable to think that if it were a font issue, this problem would surface in each of the letters? In addition, there is a decorative arrow not pictured that has a similar problem on the left side, but no issue on the right. I did cut the same file on a piece of scrap material and the whole thing looked fine. I am going to cut on another piece of different scrap material and see what happens. If it is of any interest, the font is Times New Roman and cut depth is .025. I would be happy to share the file, but not sure at this point how to go about doing that. Also, not sure if it is pertinent, but I converted all the text to curves, grouped everything, and calculated the toolpath from there. I'm all ears from here and a big thanks in advance.

adrianm
02-28-2014, 03:32 PM
For Times New Roman just about everything with those letters is wrong. It looks like the depth is off because the corners are rounded as well as the straight parts not being deep enough.

Check that the Z is not hitting it's maximum when retracting. It certainly looks like you're losing Z steps to me.

scottp55
02-28-2014, 05:12 PM
Top cut straight from create text, bottom was curve fit vectors .03. Looks a lot like what yours is doing.