PDA

View Full Version : cool clamping setup

tlempicke
03-15-2014, 09:42 AM
This setup was built for a special project that was using all 3/4 inch thick stock and generally rectangular. Since building it I have found that it is useful for whole lot of stuff. For instance on 1/4 inch thick stock I just use a piece of scrap between the clamps and the workpiece.

I found the clamps at Harbor Freight. They were a bit too long so I hacksawed about 8 inches out of each one. They dis-assemble and re-assemble pretty easily. I should have used thinner material for the base but I was hung up on buying just one sheet of plywood. The spoil board is just glued on to the base and gives about 1/4 inch above the clamps. They are screwed to the base with #6 counter sunk head screws and the clamps slide over them just fine.

I was using it with the two bumpers on the clamping end but I found out that a piece of 1x2 screwed to the board worked better. I have this one placed so that I can do a C3 and then move Y to 1.4. Do a z2 and I have the exact location of x and y where you would think it is. This was exact enough that I was able to do a number of pieces on both sides and have very good registration.

ron brown
03-15-2014, 12:20 PM
I like it!

Ron