PDA

View Full Version : Moved deck by accident

angelosart
04-03-2014, 09:50 PM
I have a Buddy 32 standard. Yesterday I accidentally moved the deck toward the back (x-axis) while the Shopbot was off and unplugged. It moved about 6". Is ther something I should do before starting my next cut?

myxpykalix
04-03-2014, 09:59 PM
If you don't have anything on the table that is going to be messed up by the misplacement of your original points, then you shouldn't have a problem.
Keep in mind that by moving those steppers it is like small generators and can cause electrical feedback to the board so you shouldn't do that if you can help it. But you shouldn't have a problem:)

bleeth
04-04-2014, 06:11 AM
Run your x-y zero routine.

tlempicke
04-04-2014, 08:02 AM
Let me fill in just a bit here!

When the power to the machine is off you can move the table and the "Y" axis. But you should not make a habit of this. The motors can act as generators and burn out electronics.

When the power is on a good test of the pinions is to grasp the table, or Y carriage, and give it a good shake. It should not move.

this also pinpoints just why you should always have your material on the table at a "Known" location. If you do a C3 your machine will return itself to its "home position with a great degree of accuracy. If you now place your project at a specific position, say x=10, y=10 you will always be able to move back to your starting point if you interrupt cutting for some reason.

Here is a routine that I have used with good success
First do a C3. Notice that at the end of the routine the program automatically did a Z2 command and zeroed the X and Y axis/
Move the carriage to a good starting place. Lets use 10, 10. Type in the commands mx10(enter) and after the carriage moves there my10(enter).
Now enter Z2 and the x and y axis will both go to zero and this will be your starting point. You can always return to this point within just a couple of thousandths of an inch by doing a C3.....and so on.

If you are going to do a number of projects that you want to be able to repeat try this. Do the preceding and then put an engraving tool in your chuck.
Zero the Z axis to the table.
Use your drawing program to make a toolpath with a straight line about ten inches long at both x and y axis. You can actually do that on the machine without a drawing, or create a routine to do it automatically, but I find the drawing method faster.
OK now scribe a line at your 10, 10 position and screw down a couple of pieces of 1 by3. You will be able to do any number of pieces and always have the right starting position.

ssflyer
04-04-2014, 08:34 AM
Good post Tom,

One thing to add. I do most of my work with material placed in the same spot on the table. I mounted a piece of hardwood to a T-Track on the table edge, and used the machine to cut the inside edge, thus ensuring it is absolutely square with the X axis.

Then I scribed a line in the spoilboard for my Y axis 0 line. (I also have another piece of hardwood I can place in the Y axis T-track, to have a perfect starting setup for rectangular stock.)

Then in the ShopBot Setup (TS) on the 4th page, you can enter an offset (negative numbers) for the C3 command, so simply running C3 will always put you at the 0,0 for the jig.

angelosart
04-04-2014, 03:20 PM
Thanks guys, much appreciated. This forum has been tremendous in my first year learning curve with the shopbot