PDA

View Full Version : What is this small part on the Shopbot Desktop?

Billions
05-20-2014, 08:05 PM
During a particularly judder-y cut on my Desktop this afternoon (the machine seems to have made it through like a trooper), I found this small, specialized hex bolt piece, which seems to have come loose.

I can't seem to locate where it belongs. The machine continues to work but I'd love to put it back in its correct hole - we all know there's few extraneous parts on these things.

Thanks guys -

Bill

bob_dodd
05-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Bill Check the slides on all axis ,that is a cap on some sort

Bob

steve_g
05-20-2014, 08:19 PM
Oh that… it’s the nonconforming harmonic equalizer found on the Acceleration detection module. Running very long without it can have indeterminate consequences.
SG

Billions
05-20-2014, 08:45 PM
Ha! Sure enough, you were BOTH right - the upper X axis glide was missing the part, AND the Desktop had stopped opening the pod bay doors when I asked it to.

Small mystery solved... Part is back in place and the Shopbot has finally stopped singing 'Daisy Bell'.

Thanks again!

Bob Eustace
05-20-2014, 11:40 PM
Magic Steve!

scottp55
05-21-2014, 07:51 AM
Lucky you caught it B. . I would have noticed a very small noise while vac'ing and MAY have gone through the Dust Deputy to find out what it was. :)

Gary Campbell
05-21-2014, 09:28 PM
"it’s the nonconforming harmonic equalizer found on the Acceleration detection module".... or....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grease_fitting :rolleyes:

jerry_stanek
05-22-2014, 06:42 AM
It really doesn't look like a zerk fitting as there is no flared nub for the grease gun to grab

Gary Campbell
05-22-2014, 09:18 AM
Jerry...
My mistake. I made it sound like I was hinting to them what it looked like. I was telling them what it IS. That part IS a grease fitting. :rolleyes:

bleeth
05-22-2014, 04:48 PM
Could it be that it opens a port to drop in lubricant for the rail cleaner? I don't think desktops would get the "glides" greased.

scottp55
05-22-2014, 09:03 PM
Here's a pic of my Desktop in August last year(Kirk's is Jan.'14 and identical). I was talking to support about something else and asked what kind of grease to use in that fitting and they got right back to me and said "DON'T!!!".That fitting is just the way it came from manufacturer and not to be used By Desktop. I think they may have spec'd it out differently or changed them out themselves to avoid the possibility of somebody greasing them(or MAYBE they got tired of being asked about it:) ). Here's a tech sheet on the component that Brady posted for us if you're interested. Just a couple of drops of oil on the rails once a week keeps the felt just about right for me.