PDA

View Full Version : Beta Tester Results Replys Please

keithb
01-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Hello everyone, will the Beta-Testers for R&B Tool Supply, Inc's new E/L carbide bits please enter any comment, good or bad at this location?
I know, not everybody has had opportunity to use some of the bits yet, and some I have yet to send out. I will send them out when available to me. This carbide is new and not all tooling has been made yet on this end. Thanks to all who helped out!! Happy New Year, and Good Business to all this year!

coach
01-06-2010, 08:44 PM
This week I have cut 6 sheets of 3/4 plywood for cabinets including 1/4" deep dadoes. I also used the same for pre cutting slatwall. That is 49" long x 1/2" deep for 33 cuts in MDF.
The bit is performing great. I will get the exact number from the bit at the shop.
The package was in my pocket.....KRB .375 - 1 1+1 M E/L (2 flutes)
I will keep you informed on the longevity. I think I may be purchasing some of these.

john_l
01-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Keith, what is our cost on the bit that David is reporting on?

gene
01-06-2010, 10:44 PM
I have used the 7056 DR E/L that is a .375" 2 flute down cut at 8 ips 3/4 deep in mdf and the bit did extremely well . I was trying to push it hard and the bit does very good. i am going to try to push it harder as soon as time permits . Will post about the longevity as the technical data becomes available.

keithb
01-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Hi John,
The KRB.375-1 1+1 M E/L is actually a single flute mortise end compression bit. In standard micrograin carbide with a 10% cobalt binder the tool runs $36.07 ea. net. For that tool with our new E/L carbide it is 20% more @ $43.28 ea. net. and we have free ground shipping on new tool orders over $100.00 in the lower 48 States. Thanks. KB.

andyb
01-07-2010, 06:54 PM
I believe it was the KRB.375-1 1+1 M E/L that I got also. Cutting 3/4" doorcore MDF 5 ips at 13000 RPMs in one pass. Getting great chip load. Nice clean edges. Love the bit. Was going to start testing the second bit I received. But due to a fire and the bot beening out of commission for a couple month I'll have to test later.

Andy B.

nat_wheatley
01-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Keith,

I don't have the numbers of the bit you'd sent, but can check on those if needed.

With one of the bits I've cut about 10 sheets of 11/16" particle board with vertical grade HPL on both faces. The bit has been cutting very well. On the 'down' faces of sheets 7&8 I was getting a little bit of a burr/rough edge, where the face meets the edge, but I think that might have been a function of a rough spoilboard. I resurfaced my table and cut 2 more sheets today, and the cuts were all very good. Some sheets were cut at 360ipm/13K RPM, some were cut at 480ipm/15K RPM. So far so good. I'll let you know when the bit begins to fail.

The second bit, I used once on a sheet of 3/4" plywood, and it snapped halfway through cutting, at about the point that it enters the collet. I was cutting at 480 ipm, but am not entirely sure of my RPM's. I haven't cut very much plywood at this speed, so I don't have a lot of confidence that my RPM's were right for what I was doing. It's entirely possible that this was the cause for the bit failure. (I think I was at 17K RPM's, but am not certain.)

I did have the first bit slip down from the collet (quite a bit) twice. I've had this happen from time to time with other bits (to a lesser degree) so I wouldn't rule out a worn collet. I've since replaced it, and will keep an eye on that.

Thanks again for letting me try, what appears to be, a very good product.

Nat

keithb
01-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Thanks all..

Nat, regarding the broken bit. These are 1/4" 2+2 compression bits. The shank is the strongest part of the tool up by the collet. Tools break in that area from harmonic vibrations produced by the bit if chip load is too light. The broken areas will appear very jagged and sharp where an overload break will be smooth. For cutting 3/4" ply a 1+1 will work better, vibrate less, and will carry a heavier chipload. The 2+2 will work, but the RPM has to be reduced for the same feed rate as the 1+1. Remember, a single flute carries the full chip size all by itself. A two flute cuts that in exactly half per flute. To be equal to each other the 2+2 rpm must be reduced by exactly 1/2 of that of the 1+1. Thanks. Keith B.

keithb
01-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Nat, regarding the tool slip problems. It is most likely the harmonic vibs that are causing the tools to move out of the collet. A compression tool because of the longer down cut section if anything should push the tool up into the collet if your collet were bad. Here again the 1+1 would cure that slip issue or check rpm on the 2+2. It is likely too high. Good luck. KB.

ken_rychlik
01-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Keith, I had sent an email to your company wanting to try a 1/4 inch 1+1 bit you had described in another post and never got a response.

Maybe your contact page doesn't work??

Kenneth

keithb
01-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Hello Kenneth,
I can't seem to find you in my data base. None the less No problem. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. This particular bit in E/L is going to avail itself pretty soon now. I have a few other people that are also waiting for that tool as well. I will send them your way when I can. Thanks..Keith B.

keithb
01-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Kenneth, I will also need your contact information so I know where to send the bits. Thanks. Keith B.

ken_rychlik
01-11-2010, 04:19 PM
I will try and send you an email instead of using the contact page.

Kr

bcammack
01-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Keith,

We wore out one bit on 55 sink bowls and corresponding number of faucet holes (165), all in 3cm Elustra. An indeterminant number of 1/2" Elustra vanities were cut as well. I do not know why they didn't keep track of those as well. The other bit is in the machine now.

As you know from the samples, the Elustra is a fairly challenging material for a ShopBot. I'm still interested in that custom bit (to match our custom-designed Colombo spindle), but with the caveat that "the powers that be" have concluded that the Elustra line is no longer viable and will be discontinuing it sometime in the indeterminent near future.

With most things, once you get it darned near perfect...it's obsolete. Shoot me an email on what those custom bits might cost me apiece. I'd like to try one to see just how close to perfect we got this machine before it gets crated up and put in the back warehouse.

wberminio
01-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Keith
1st of thank you for the bits and all the tech information you provided.
I received the single and double flute 3/8" mort. compression bits.

So far I have only tested the the single flute
on maple ply and sapele.
Only about 10sheets so far.
Cut was clean and crisp.NO tear out.

I will continue to report as I continue to cut,hopefully more projects.
(receiving more requests for bids-Seems like there is a slight but steady change in the air...
maybe it's the warmer weather 40+
)

Erminio

Erminio

keithb
01-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks Brett,

I have some custom bits on the way. I'd like to see em run too. I hope they arrive in time to play with..Keith Beezley

pappybaynes
01-24-2010, 09:37 AM
Keith,
Let me thank you for your advise and wisdom with all my questions about your bits and bits in general. This morning I will start cutting my 11th sheet of 1/8" bamboo - that may not seem like a lot, but each sheet produces 242 4" circles or 253.4 LF of cutting per sheet or over 2700 LF. The cut quality is still very good. I have been able to increase my cut speed by 70%! Looking forward to trying the compression bits this week. Thank you!!!
Dick

coach
05-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Kieth, Time to purchase a couple bits.
3/8 compression......(not sure of the numbers.)
Is there a catalog online or that can be mailed that includes prices?
I have cut at least 100 sheets with the 3/8 2 flute bit. Still cuts well, but I think I need to get a couple new ones as business is picking up a bit.
Thanks, David

keith_beezley
05-26-2010, 02:45 PM
R&B Tool Supply would like to thank all that participated in our Beta Test program. There were a total of 35 Testers. I would like to also apologise to everyone for my extended absence from this forum. It seems I may have neglected some postings? I will strive to better myself in this area.

:o On the lighter side, it would be much more efficient with 100% effectivness for those wishing to contact me for any reason to either use our toll free number 877-247-7320, or my email address directly. keithb@rbtoolsupply.com. I check my email frequently.

:D Up date on our E/L carbide: It has done very very well out in the field. We are competing for the 'Challengers Award' at IWF in Atlanta this year with this carbide. For those few areas in nested base work where its superior toughness is difficult to actually see depending upon what the application actually is, we have another new unique Carbide soon to be available for Beta-Testing for those with any interest in doing so? It will be designed more for the nested base type work where tool hardness rules rather than toughness. I will bring the arrival to notice when the time is at hand for some test work. Thanks a lot..Best Regards, Keith Beezley.

wberminio
05-28-2010, 08:48 AM
Keith

Great Bits.I'm still using your test bits(3/8mortise compression) for cutting hardwood ply.
Clean chatter free cuts on perimeter and clean crisp mortises.

I am setting up to cut bamboo sheets and nesting soon

I would love to test your new bits on this material!

I'm sure that as business picks up I'll be using and buying more of your bits

Ermnio

coach
06-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Keith, I am still using the 1 2+2 3/8 bit you sent to me. I beleive this is a compression bit?
I have cut well over 150 sheets of 3/4 pre finished birch ply with dadoes for cabinetry. I also use the same bit for door board (5/8 mdf with liner on one side) It cuts very clean. Recently I have cut about 200 brackets from maple lumber (3/4) each one was about 1.5 - 2 sq. ft. of cut.
Then today I am cutting plywood again and no signs of any wear at all.
I cut plywood at 5 IPS. I need to order 2 of the 1/4" and 2 of the 3/8 bits as I seem to be geting busy.
These are by far the best bit I have used in my short career as a cnc owner. (2007)

Thank you, David

coach
08-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Keith, I wanted to thank you for the prompt delivery on my bits.
I am sending a couple to my brother in Maine. I am actually still having good cuts fro the sample you sent me.
I purchased one for my brother and an extra 2 for myself. I used the 1/4" bit with single flute for cutting soft maple. I needed to have a tight radius other wise I would use the 3/8 bit.
It performed excellent, very good edge quality.
The delivery was there the next day and the shipping was the less than ground via UPS

you are my new bit guy for sure.