PDA

View Full Version : Carving Question

jwa1156
07-22-2014, 04:20 PM
What hardwoods have any of the user group used that has given clean routing in letters and especially in details work.
Have been advised Walnut and Cherry produce good results any other suggestions

Thanks

khaos
07-22-2014, 09:13 PM
Purpleheart cuts real nice. Hard as hell though. And I have heard that Osage is very hard and cuts well with a sharp tool.

dlcw
07-22-2014, 09:15 PM
Maple, red heart, alder cuts fairly nice, cherry

Bob Eustace
07-23-2014, 01:02 AM
Rimu from New Zealand is fantastic for holding fine detail and Amoora from Africa as well as Eastern Mahogony. The softer plantation mahogonies such as Swietina vary from fantastic to hairyer than a bear! Its a big learning curve. I have samples of 20 species all carved with the same bit from the same file on the wall just in case I forget how bad/good it cuts.

bryan
07-23-2014, 01:10 AM
I've done a lot of V carving and 2.5 carving in the following woods with no issue other then tweaking the cut rate and router speed.

White Oak
Red Oak
Purple Heart
Blood Wood
Paduak
Hickory
Hard Maple
Soft Maple
Hedge
Cherry
Walnut
Teak
Ipe
Ash
Birch
Wenge
etc
I found that it all can be carved just take time and practice to get the carving path to look good.

Most of those woods also cut great in the flat 2d world.

scottp55
07-23-2014, 07:29 AM
Cherry is my Go-To wood if it HAS to be carved quick and be good the first time.
Most others will carve well with time and patience as said above, you just have to find right settings and a good bit.
Both carved with my $6.38 bit:)