PDA

View Full Version : Desktop movinig table

Kyle Stapleton
08-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Making a table for our "New to us:)" desktop.
If you could please watch the video and an some insight good or bad that would be great.

http://screencast.com/t/uWwPAfv9j8

scottp55
08-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Hi Kyle, Looks good and well thought out. Tightening legs will be pretty important I think(try to eliminate as much play as possible). Legs possible weak point as when VCarving small fonts and graphics she can really do the Shimmy.
I might put 1/4" tall rail around table surface so wrenches/bits/calipers and such don't meet the floor. Maybe a 1/4" deep pocket into surface for leveling feet on Desktop as well to make it behave while transporting?
Use 360total lock swivel casters(they seem to do the trick for us, but solid leg levelers would be better). A small 360 level on table surface somewhere will help at shows and irregular surfaces, but Desktop handles minor variations from level well.
Small piece of neoprene under monitor base and then lock it down if you can will prevent you from going blind trying to read #'s when cutting. Uninterruptible Power Supply helps more than you would think, as often you're sharing a circuit with others and blown breakers are NOT uncommon. It makes it easier to move plugs and cord around too, as well as simply unplugging UPS for thunderstorms as well(with spindle off, I've gotten 1.5 hours and was programming during a long storm and never lost comms and just resumed cut after plugging UPS back in).
Congrats on the Baby Brother:)
scott

jerry_stanek
08-25-2014, 02:17 PM
I would make some angle braces that you can bolt to the side when you fold id up and then bolt it to the legs to stiffen them using the same bolts and wing nuts.

Kyle Stapleton
08-25-2014, 04:07 PM
Thanks,
http://screencast.com/t/8nwyqzO4

srwtlc
08-25-2014, 05:12 PM
Hey Kyle,

I know that it complicates your folding up desires, but if you criss-cross the cross supports, you'll have a much sturdier table. As it is, it can still 'rack' with the 'jiggle' that can be produce with directional changes. Possibly some X's that could be bolted on once you have it unfolded. Also, if you could put casters on just one end (heavy end) and then lift the light end to 'wheelbarrow' it around, or possibly some retracting caster design and some levelers on the other end. I've made some things with the casters on some angled blocks mounted to the side of the leg and then when you lift the one end, they make contact with the floor to wheel it around.

Another option instead of cross beams might be just some panels that could be bolted on (T-nuts on the back of your legs) and these panels could have sections cut out to reduce weight and also your school logo v-carved on them. Would be a nice example of what can be done.

Just some thoughts.

Burkhardt
08-25-2014, 05:38 PM
I believe most important is that the table is in itself rigid and does not allow the CNC machine frame to warp. Other than that, it does not matter if the entire table/CNC combination jiggles. Theoretically you can even allow for a little more acceleration if you don't suppress the machine recoil by solid mounting.

My machine is a little bigger and heavier than a SB desktop but I have it on a very rigid triangulated space frame cart (https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-B23g3XQMWks/TmLSobe8ULI/AAAAAAAAC1A/NAeDqhOp7t0/w987-h740-no/P1020760.JPG) frame made from 2x4s. I don't even set the caster brakes anymore and just let it jiggle (maybe 1/2" back and forth) when operating.

scottp55
08-25-2014, 06:41 PM
Looks better Kyle. Scott W's ideas are very good. Rockler's retractable workbench ones crossed my mind, but not sure how the locking feature would hold up jostling it around a parking lot and curbs. I like the wheelbarrow style approach with two fixed large diameter casters that let it set on solid ground when put down.
Scott's idea for the side panel could easily be done with T-nuts/1/2"ply and the allen head connector bolts you find in the pull out drawers at hardware store in the tray marked "Furniture" and would only take a minute to install a stiffen it greatly for torsion.
G. , Desktop has a welded unibody frame that's not going anywhere if his leveling feet are all firmly touching, so not really a concern for him. Actually I've been moving mine around a lot lately to access stuff and for the most part only locking 1 or 2 casters and it was pretty good(but then I've got the box/Fein/dustdeputy pretty much connected together, so I have some mass).
Let us know how it works Kyle. Not as if you don't have the resources to Mod it later anyways. You should buy another Desktop and try a few more designs and sponsor the first "Desktop Derby"!:)

Red F
08-25-2014, 10:43 PM
I would definitely suggest adding diagonal bracing to your legs. I would add it between the folding legs(x-axis) as well as the non folding legs(y-axis). The bracing on the folding legs(x) would need to be removable, but on the non folding side (y) it could be permanent. It could be as simple as screen door turnbuckles.

Not to get off topic, but what software are you designing with? I love the physics of your moving model!!

Kyle Stapleton
08-26-2014, 02:09 PM
Ok added some cross bars.
http://screencast.com/t/NH7lEuqAk

Kyle Stapleton
08-26-2014, 02:31 PM
CADD software is Creo 2.0 old name is Pro-E. This is the stuff they made the F-22 on:).

supertigre
08-27-2014, 10:30 AM
As you are demoing the machine I would recommend an acrylic box to go around the machine so that inquisitive fingers do not get turned into hamburger.

Kyle Stapleton
08-27-2014, 09:23 PM
That is step two, step one should be done end of day tomorrow.

scottp55
08-27-2014, 10:23 PM
I'll be interested in that one Kyle(still only have the one small eye shield). Make sure and do an elegant job so I can copy you:)

Kyle Stapleton
08-29-2014, 02:08 PM
Works well will have first test when we go to a craft show in November.

scottp55
08-29-2014, 02:41 PM
Looks good Kyle! Glued 1/4"MDF on top of ply for spoilboard? 5.5"Z? I like that thought but didn't want to sacrifice any of my 4 inches Z, maybe after ZUpgrade. Glad you added bracing.
MIT Teaching Assistant nice touch:)

Kyle Stapleton
08-29-2014, 02:54 PM
5.5 z and 1/4 mdf on 3/4 ply, wow you got some good eyes.