PDA

View Full Version : Help with chooseing a bit of bit set

upsman
02-11-2008, 10:12 AM
I am 45 and 100% disable; the state of Texas is going to set me up in business. They are buying me my ShopBot and Accessories; I am getting the PRSalpha 120-60 it will have a 5hp spindle drive and tool changer we will be using ArtCam Pro as are design software.

What I need help with is what bits I need to start up with? The state needs a list of all equipment so they can order it. The list can only be submitted one time.

Items we will be producing is signs, 4” to 6” ornaments, a lot of 3D art work, Doors, bookcases and other things for around the house.

Can some of you that know more about the ShopBot help me with chooseing the right bits or bits sets that i will need when i start working?

I have looked at grizzly at some of there sets but just do not know what all the ShopBot can do.

Note I have about $500 to spend on bits.

Thank you
John

bryson
02-11-2008, 10:58 AM
John, I would contact Fred at www.centauriontools.com (http://www.centauriontools.com) he has excellent tool sets for what you want to do. You can also check out the supplier list on this forum.
Bryson

myxpykalix
02-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Bryson, you made a boo boo on the website name, its:
www.centuriontools.com (http://www.centuriontools.com)

harryball
02-11-2008, 08:55 PM
It's really none of my business but since you broached the subject I am curious how you will be able to operate a shopbot being 100% disabled. Have you thought this through? I don't know what your disability is (mental or physical) but if it is 100% on either you must know that heavy lifting, manual dexterity, good eyesight etc... are all aspects of operating a bot. If the disability is mental I don't know how you'll meet the challenges of learning and applying your designs to the bot.

I could understand many other tool choices, scroll saws, laser cutters etc... but have you tried to use a shopbot?

Centurion Tools is a great place to start for bits.

Robert

kfitz
02-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Robert,
Sounds like John may be getting this through Texas Vocational Rehabilitation. If so, I'm sure he has had an assessment by a professional Assistive Technology Practitioner to determine if this is appropriate for him. I don't think Texas VR would buy him a 'bot unless they had good justification. At least, that's the way it would happen in Kentucky.

upsman
02-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Hi all, i want to thank you for all your imput. sorry i did not get back to you sooner but i have been working on the endless paper work for the state. Robert, just to let you know there is going to be other people as will as other disable people in the shop doing some of the work. So i am not doing this all alone.