PDA

View Full Version : Kitty Hawk,NC Camp Shopbot !

billp
05-02-2006, 04:29 PM
We're going to hold our first North Carolina Camp in Kitty Hawk, NC on Saturday Oct.21st at the shop of Doug and John Roughton.
Their shop address is;
201 W.Lillian St.
Kitty Hawk, NC 27949
252-256-3390
carcuscab@hotmail.com (mailto:carcuscab@hotmail.com)
If you have never been to the Outer Banks before, this would be a great time for a visit....

odulfst
06-08-2006, 05:21 PM
I was just there this past weekend. Girlfriend's brother lives there. Weather was GREAT. Sounds like a good excuse for a work paid vacation! What do you teach at camp ShopBot?

billp
09-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Here are some driving directions to get to the Camp. We're still working out the details, but this Camp may have more Shopbot staff attending than any other Camp in 2006 (maybe even in history...). If you are in the area and have anything you'd like to do a presentation on, let us know.If you can, book early to be sure you get a room.
Driving directions;
From the North, you will come on the Outer Banks on US 158. Just after you
cross the Wright Memorial Bridge, you will pass through 3 traffic lights and follow signs to Hwy 12 South. When you get on Hwy 12 we are less than 1/2 mile on the right. Building has a sign on it that says Carolina Custom Cabinets (the name of the business we sold last year). From the south end, one enters the beach on US 64. At the intersection of US 158, go north about 14-15 miles and follow the same Hwy 12 signs. At the turn one wants to make coming from the south end there is a Outer Banks Welcome Center on the left. There will probably be several signs to Hwy 12 coming from the south but for simplicity sake one should make the turn when they see the Welcome Center (you can't miss it).
Please let us know in advance if you plan to attend, so we can make appropriate plans for everyone. Also keep an eye on the Forum for Camp updates..

myxpykalix
10-05-2006, 02:02 AM
Hello,

I have emailed "carcuscab@hotmail.com (mailto:carcuscab@hotmail.com)" a few times trying to get more detail and sign up for the camp shopbot but haven't heard from anyone. I wanted to make sure there was room for me at the camp and find out more details about what is to be presented. Could anyone with info please email me back or post the info here? This will be my first camp and all i've heard is they are not to be missed! Thank you!

billp
10-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Jack,
Sorry about the lack of info on the Forum. I've been caught up in some medical issues which have diverted my attention for the last few weeks. We certainly have room for you and will add you to the list of attendees.

As with prior Shopbot Camps we’ll try to cover topics which are pertinent to most people . However if you have a specific interest which is not included on the list below, contact us with plenty of advance notice, so we can try to cover that topic.

The Camp doors will open at 8AM for a coffee/donut session, and the actual meetings will start at 9AM sharp. Most Camps usually run into the late afternoon, and we also have a pizza type lunch for all attendees.

There is NO charge to attend a Camp, but we would really appreciate it if you would contact us in advance and let us know you plan to attend, so we can arrange to have enough chairs, donuts, pizzas, etc.

So far we plan to include sessions on the following;

The latest developments at Shopbot in terms of machinery and software. And there are MANY of them...

Vacuum systems; from pods/pucks/plenums up to regenerative blowers.

3 D carving, and coatings for your products

Samples of ideas which show how people are making money with their ‘Bots

A discussion of various software packages, and how to choose one for your needs

Marketing your products

And as always we’ll have the ever popular “Show and Tell” session where we ask YOU to bring something along that you have made with your Shopbot. If it’s too large to bring in person, bring some pictures on a flash drive…

This is the first time we’ve held a Camp in North Carolina, and the Outer Banks in October should be a great backdrop for all of this. John/Doug have driving directions posted above.
Due to the proximity of this Camp to Durham, we'll also have a sizeable contingent from the Shopbot headquarters present.In fact this may be the largest group of staff to attend a Camp in our 6 year series of holding these events.
Shopbotters Brady Watson and Jim Zaccaro will also be there to do presentations on vacuum rigs, sign making, etc.
Again we’ll ask all of you to let us know if you plan to attend, so we can maximize the short time we’ll have together. Feel free to contact John/Doug or myself with your RSVP or questions. Hope to see you on the 21st in Kitty Hawk ! Regards, Bill Palumbo

thecustomsignshop
10-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Look forward to seeing you all there.

Brady Watson
10-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Jim,
I heard you are going to be hosting a 'kegger' in the RV...Are the rumors true?

Hopefully I'll see you there!

-B

doug
10-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Just 2 weeks out and a good crowd is gathering for Kitty Hawk Camp. For those of you planning to attend, you might want to make hotel accomodations soon. If the weather is good, we still fill up on weekends. Here are some hotel suggestions:
Hilton (2 blocks away) $114./night 252 261 1290
Holiday Inn Express(2 miles) $79./night 252 261 4888
Best Western Ocean Reef (7 miles) $134./night poolside suite 252 441 1611
Traveloge Nags Head (6 miles) $71./night 252 441 0411.
Shop is on the beach front road across from the ocean at 5130 N. Virginia Dare Tr. (Hwy 12 south) If you need further directions please email or call at 252 256 3391.

handh
10-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Any fellow rver's going to Camp ShopBot, was wondering what park is good to stay at in this part of the county.

myxpykalix
10-08-2006, 02:56 PM
after reading about the kansas camp shopbot I was wondering if the kity hawk camp was going to have door prizes like them? Will bob barker be there to give them out? in the immortal words of Rod Roddy....."Come on down!"

thecustomsignshop
10-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Brady, Yep, everyone is invited..... BBQ and lots on beer. ;-) I will be coming in on Thursday if all goes well.

Jeff - There are two I have found so far.

1. Camp Hatteras, about 45 min from the shop but is a 10 all around. I called them today, plenty of room. I have stayed there before, nice place, full hook up.

http://www.camphatteras.com/

2. Kitty Hawk RV Park. Trying to get info now. Once I do I will post it. It is closer. No web site that I have found.

thecustomsignshop
10-14-2006, 09:04 AM
I received a call from the Kitty Hawk RV park owner last night. He has 4 sites available 30amp service, water, sewer, etc. They are on the beach. About 45 a night

For reservations: (252) 261-2636.

thecustomsignshop
10-14-2006, 09:06 AM
Jack - would be nice if Shopbot supplied the door prizes huh? Maybe a free Alpha???? :-) Just a thought.

myxpykalix
10-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Its too bad we don't have any way to document these camps to share relevant demonstrations and ideas for those who can't attend. Having been in movies and television I always look at things like this and think "that would make a good video presentation". Seems there is a lack of good presentation material for the shopbot out there. People like me who are new sometimes don't understand written words and concepts but you know the old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words".

Brady Watson
10-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Jack,
A few of us have kicked around the same 'access' idea for a few years now. The problem lies in the fact that somebody has to actually film/document the event & then edit it, package it and get it out there. It's not an easy thing to do, and you'd be really lucky to break even on your investment when all is said and done. (...and I am not talking about a commercial venture here...Just 'being a nice guy & doing it' incurrs expenses & a whole lotta time)

What's nice is that we get a good sampling of pictures on the Camp ShopBot page on Flickr and some of the better tips & tricks wind up trickling on the pages of this forum & the SB site.

I guess the best thing right now is for people to attend a camp & get into action with sharing.

-B

bill.young
10-15-2006, 09:43 AM
I wonder if filming a camp might not take away from the participation a little. There are lots of people that aren't comfortable getting up in front of a group and require some persuasion to talk about the neat stuff that they do...they may be even less likely to get up and talk if there's a video camera pointed at them.

billp
10-16-2006, 07:40 PM
There's only a few days left to let us know if you plan to attend the Kitty Hawk Camp. We'd like to be sure we are prepared for everyone. It's the last Camp of the year so if you haven't been to one before,this is going to be it until January.....Please contact John/Doug/ or myself as soon as you can...

doug
10-17-2006, 12:19 PM
For Kitty Hawk Camp attendees, we plan to have Burgers and Beer after the camp for anyone who wishes to stick around and cash in on the opportunity to pick some brains. Probably at my house which is about a mile or so from the shop. All are welcome.

myxpykalix
10-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Hello Doug,
I'll be attending its 10pm so i didn't want to call this late to ask this. I looked at this hotel:
Quality Inn John Yancey (NC071)
2009 S. Virginia Dare Tr. Mile Post 10 , Kill Devil Hills, NC, US, 27948

And the shop where we are meeting at is located at:
Shop is on the beach front road across from the ocean at 5130 N. Virginia Dare Tr. (Hwy 12 south)

Are these close to each other? If so then this would be a good place to stay.

billp
10-19-2006, 09:18 AM
Jack/Doug,
I hope I didn't add to the confusion on this one. I originally posted the mailing address at the top of this thread, which is NOT the same as the real shop address.
As Doug pointed out above;
"Shop is on the beach front road across from the ocean at 5130 N. Virginia Dare Tr. (Hwy 12 south) If you need further directions please email or call at 252 256 3391."

thecustomsignshop
10-19-2006, 08:30 PM
That's why I could not find it..... Just kidding.

myxpykalix
10-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Just got back from the shopbot camp. Learned alot, would have liked to have gotten more ideas on how to make money with my bot. It was good to get to know some of the faces behind the names of people who have helped me on this forum with my questions. Brady answered a lot of my questions re: indexer and files which helped. Thanks!

Brady Watson
10-22-2006, 07:46 PM
No problem, Jack...that's what we botters do!

Special thanks to Johnny & Doug for their great hospitality and the opportunity to hang out across the street from the beach! It was a good time had by all & I definately look forward to visiting again.

Thanks guys!
-Brady

billp
10-22-2006, 09:44 PM
I'd also like to add my thanks to Doug and John for hosting our first Camp in North Carolina.As Brady pointed out above, it was a great location as we could practically walk on the beach between sessions.
In addition thanks go out to ; Ted Hall, Jim Zaccaro, Brady Watson, Ed Lang, and Keith Outten who ALL stepped in and gave the "Campers" a full day of information.
We were able to cover some of the latest, and upcoming developments in the Shopbot world , and learn how a few people have used their machines to
create some businesses, and expand others.
We also had the luxury of having a number of the Shopbot staff present;Ted, Martha Barbour, Bill Young, Gordon Bergfors, Scott Julian, Jamie Gillis, David Clevenger, and Sallye Coyle were all on hand to answer questions , and add input during the presentations, and I really appreciated their presence, and assistance.
We hope to get some pictures on the Flickr page in the next day or so, and we'll let you know when that happens.

thecustomsignshop
10-23-2006, 08:46 AM
Bill, I second that, another great camp.

Johnny and Doug thanks for having us. Count me in for next year.

doug
10-24-2006, 08:13 AM
Our thanks to all who attended the Kitty Hawk Camp. It was beyond our expectations and the pleasure was all ours. Looking forward to next year. John & Doug Roughton

billp
10-24-2006, 01:47 PM
We've just posted pictures of the Kitty Hawk Camp on the Shopbot Flickr page;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/campshopbot/sets/72157594342970693/