PDA

View Full Version : New wanna be shop botter

race4fun82
11-02-2014, 09:13 AM
Hello all
I have a 33 year old electric sign company and would like to purchase a used shopbot. I have no experience with cnc but am proficient with working with vector designs in sign software (flexi) I'm not sure what I should look for. The main use would be for routing the backs and faces of channel letters. I would also like to offer wood and foam 3-D signs. What is the difference between a "alpha" and a standard? What software should I look at? Router vs spindle.
Do I need a vacuum hold down? How much additional work or cost without the vacuum hold down? Any information would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Bill

bleeth
11-02-2014, 11:26 AM
In short an Alpha is more powerful and quicker running than a Standard. The software that comes with a new machine (V-carve pro) will do quite a bit when it comes to cutting letters and signs. It also has 3-d cutting ability if you import more complicated 3-d designs that are available from a variety of places. A spindle is smoother running, as well as quieter than a router and unlike a router, does not slow down when meeting resistance. Many signmakers do just fine without vacuum holddown.
Signfoam cuts very easily with just about any cnc.
For me, I believe that for true business use one should get as much as one can afford. The upgrade costs and retro-fit work for going from Standard to Alpha costs somewhat more than starting off with one, just as getting a spindle to start with costs less than starting with a router and then upgrading later. Vacuum can be added at any time for the same costs as buying one right away, besides the many vacuum systems, some of which, like a custom self build from Universal vac motors, or keeping an eye out for a good used regen blower, gives the same bang for a lot less buck. Vacuums do depreciate in costs, but well maintained Alphas tend to get a pretty good return.

Too bad you didn't post this a couple months ago. We spent the weekend at Cedar Key and went through Inverness. I used to live in Brooksville. Sure are a lot more people around now!

gc3
11-02-2014, 01:29 PM
http://www.3dsignforum.com/

feinddj
11-02-2014, 07:27 PM
1. Get as big a table as you can fit in your shop/afford.
2. If you can afford it, spindle. Big difference in quality of cut and speed.
3. Know that even if you know a few things about vectors, you are going to spend some time learning how to not break your bits every time you start the machine up.
4. Find someone who has one and would let you observe/ play
5. Know that you'll get addicted and spend more time than you thought on your machine cause its fun and you'll find lots more to do with it than just dimensional letters and the odd solid sign.
6. Get used to saying, "Hi, my names Bill, and I own a Shopbot...
David

Xray
11-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Can't offer much advice on machines, but suffice it to say we are all wannabes to start out with. The machine itself is just a glorified power tool, the magic of creation lies in software, design and imagination.

race4fun82
11-02-2014, 08:07 PM
That's great! I'm excited about the prospect of learning something new. I have always said the day I stop learning is the day I would want to get out of the sign business. That day has never come & it appears it won't be coming any time soon. Thank you all for the input. This form is a great resource. Now all I need is to find a machine in my budget. And make a new friend with a shopbot. By the way how far from central Florida are you?:D

myxpykalix
11-02-2014, 09:48 PM
you may also want to put a post in "Looking for ShopBot owner" to find someone close to you to demo their machine because if you then buy a machine from Shopbot they get a $350.00 demo fee.
You can also call Shopbot and they have a list of guys willing to demo machines and they can direct you to someone close to you....

bleeth
11-03-2014, 06:14 AM
I'm in South Florida now.
Mark Farris is in Gainesville and would likely be willing to give you a look at his Alpha.

chiloquinruss
11-03-2014, 12:09 PM
I love these kinds of inquiry's! :D Since you live in Florida you'll understand my answer:

"If it was only two feet longer!" :eek:

Of course relating to buying a boat, but you get the idea. Don't buy a 'size' based on what you THINK you might do with the Bot, buy the size that fits your shop space and buy the model that has the features that either comes with the the machine or is available at a later time when you DISCOVER what you are really going to use the Bot for. If I was doing exclusively signs I would love to have a 5x9, what I have is a 4x8 standard but with a spindle. In addition I have Aspire! Perfect for what I use the Bot for.

Let the ADVENTURE begin! :D

Russ

jerry_stanek
11-03-2014, 01:40 PM
The last time I checked the upgrade from a standard to an Alpha was about the same as the difference between the standard and Alpha but you have to trade in the controller or sell it outright. I ended up with a standard and thought about upgrading it but it will do everything I need so I am happy.

Mark Farris
11-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Bill,
I would be glad to have you up to look at my 2010 9648 Alpha w/2.2 hp spindle if you would like. It is definitely my turn to give back.
As all have said buy as big and as much as you have space for and can afford. I started with a 2002 9648 PRT with a PC router, did several upgrades including the V4G board, and eventually passed it on to Gustavo Bonet. It has now made its way to New York. The PRT would do most anything the Alpha does but the Alpha does it faster, quieter, and smoother. I have now added the vac bed with my version of the "black box", and it has added another dimension to it's abilities. Please feel free to contact me: digifab12@gmail.com and I will be glad to offer any assistance I can.

(Thanks for the "plug" Dave)

Mark

race4fun82
11-04-2014, 06:17 AM
Hello again
Thanks for the offer Mark. I will get with you to see when would be a good time for you.
I am thinking about this machine that is on the "for sale" forum.
Any thoughts? What is the advantage of the " 4G controller"
Also I am concerned with the Z access height. I don't have the number in front of me but it was not very much.
I have also received a quote for a new machine, sounds like the same machine
Mark has. Looking at financing now. Just hate to have that monthly payment.

2001 PRT96
5HP Colombo Spindle
4G Controller
Woodtek 3HP Dual Bag Dust Collector

Thanks again
Bill