PDA

View Full Version : New Vectric Dovetail Gadget

David Iannone
12-09-2014, 05:04 PM
I had a chance last night to try and learn the new Vectric Dovetail Gadget. It took me about 4 hours but I think I got it down. Today I wanted to see if the shallow box I setup out was correct. (I am not a woodworker, I am a sign guy) I started cutting .75" MDF with an Onsrud#63-707 bit at .5,.3. This is a 1/8" Diameter bit 3/4" length.

Everything went fine until I kept creeping up the cutout pass speed until the bit broke. My pass depth was .2 and I was ramping in. I had it up to 1.5 inch/per sec 10,000 rpm before it gave way. What I didn't realize is this was the last one I had. Now what?

My approach is this, but I am old school Botter:
-Order more bits immediately
-Note the line number
-Take the piece of wood off the table (I can't let it sit there until the new bits come in)

Thinking ahead because of Comm errors:
Before job start......
-I Z2 in my material corner. I then did a M2 +1,+1
-Turn on router and plunge z into material, then lift Z and turn off
-Move Z to center of project an zz
-JH then turn on router and start running cut files

When bit broke and I realized I had no more I knew I was still ok. When the bits come in what I will do is simply place the material back on the table and bit in the collet. Move the z over and place it EXACTLY right back in that 1/8" hole I drilled, now Z2. Lift Z and do M2 -1,-1. Then Z2 again. Now do C2 and restart file a few line numbers before the bit broke.

I realize this might not be the BEST way? But I feel more comfortable doing it this way. I don't Zero off my prox switches. I have stuff screwed down all over table sometimes. I would never give up a 4'x8' workspace.

Dave