PDA

View Full Version : File Import

sawkerf
01-03-2015, 08:52 PM
I have a tracing of a piece of baseboard molding and I am trying to import it into Artcam. I scanned it and used Gimp to convert it to an EPS file. How do I get Artcam to import the file? Artcam says it "can't import any usable data". I need to then trace it in Artcam and use the extruder program to reproduce about 8' of moulding for a small job. Any advise is appreciated. John Wayne was right when he said life is harder if your dumb. Between this and my electrical problems(another post), I'm felling real dumb!

garyb
01-03-2015, 10:13 PM
Kip, export and import filters are a pain with some programs. You could try exporting as dxf, otherwise import the scan and trace in AC, this option will most likely be the quickest and least painful, only take a couple of minutes to do a trace for the profile. Which version and build of AC and Gimp are you using
Gary

sawkerf
01-04-2015, 12:51 PM
Hi Gary, I am using AC 2012 build 359 and Gimp 2.8. On another note, I noticed you are a reseller, trainer. I have an issue that I've been unable to get an answer on from Artcam. Could you offer any advise? The issue is this: I use KCD software for cabinet design and of course, AC for machining. For some reason about a year or so ago, AC started ignoring the depth of cut that I have saved in my toolpath templates and defaults to the material thicknesses set in KCD. Its really quite a chore to change all of the numbers for every job as the material thickness varies from batch to batch of plywood. I've asked KCD, and of course they say it's not them and AC tells me it's not them. Do you have any idea what could be causing this?

sawkerf
01-04-2015, 01:09 PM
I saved the file as a DXF and AC still will not import....

bleeth
01-04-2015, 01:22 PM
Kip: Not the best way but you can scan as a bmp or jpg and then bring it in and trace. Do you have any Autocad/ autodesk products? Gimps output of a dxf or eps may not be one AC plays nice with.

sawkerf
01-04-2015, 01:58 PM
All I have is AC no other software for drawing. I can't get AC to import anything! Not bmp, eps, or the Dxf my son converted using Ilustrator.

garyb
01-04-2015, 01:59 PM
Kip, as noted above, a number of program's export filters are just not universally accepted imports with other programs.

In relation to your toolpath template, if you apply the template and verify the stepdown in your toolpath dialogue box then that end is correct.
if the output is changing to the material thickness equal to the KCD setting then its overriding the AC settings.
What post processor are you using? has it been customized for KCD?
Have you updated your templates?
if you email me the *.art file your tool template, post p file and the output code we will have a look at it and see if we can get a resolve for you.
Gary

garyb
01-04-2015, 02:02 PM
Kip you posted while I was typing
have you deleted Delcam Exchange from your computer?
Check and make sure you have it installed, what version?
AC uses exchange in the background to import vector files
Gary

thomas123
02-09-2016, 06:33 AM
I want to import the dxf file but i am still unsuccessful so please anyone can tell me that what and how i have to do to ..

el houcein
07-19-2016, 10:16 AM
I want to import the dxf file but i am still unsuccessful so please anyone can tell me that what and how i have to do to ..

Try loading this form of the most successful, the problem is in the file format
https://www.mediafire.com/?xcn15i31if92b83