PDA

View Full Version : Kansas Camp

garyb
07-06-2005, 02:30 PM
The Kansas Shopbot Camp will be held in Wichita KS Sept 23-24. Make a note and mark it on your calendars but above all drop me an email to let me know your attending.

I have already had a number of request for particular topics/demo's so if there's an item you would like covered then let me know so we can work it into the schedule.
Also if you would like to help out doing a presentation of your expertise then please contact me asap so we can allocate time.

My shop is in the south east part of town by McConnell Airforce Base, easy directions from all avenue's including the airport will be emailed.
I am curently working on motels to get some special rates for the camp so will post that info as it becomes available.

More to follow soon.
Gary
gw@beckwithdecor.com (mailto:gw@beckwithdecor.com)
Ph. Shop 316-652-7375
Cell 316-393-7375

garyb
07-31-2005, 12:00 AM
OK Campers,
Here’s a short update for the Kansas Shopbot Camp for September 23rd – 24th.
Theme for the Camp is “Making a Buck” and you guessed it we are going to cover the topic of making a buck with your Shopbot.
Working in conjunction with making a buck we will cover the use of Cadd programs, including the converting of drawings to cut files and the one I’ve had a number of requests on, producing and cutting 3D files, all to make a buck.

As the schedule comes together I will post more on the outline so stay tuned for that. All most forgot to mention show and tell, this has to be one of the best parts of any camp, whereby everyone has a chance to show off their product(s) and show us what makes a buck for them. So get busy on those special projects.

Currently I have 10 people signed up, if you plan on attending and haven’t let me know yet please drop me an email and give a yea or maybe to help in the planning. Also if wish to do a demo of your product which includes the cutting of your file let me know, I will need the file sent to me so it can be test run prior to the camp.

Directions and motel list will follow in separate post
Gary

garyb
07-31-2005, 01:33 AM
My Shop sits beside my house on 5 acres and is 4 mile straight south of the intersection of Kellogg Ave (US 54-K400) and Webb road
The address is 4201 S Cypress St Derby Ks, which you can locate by mapquest.com
If you need additional directions (or short cuts) from your entry point of town let me know.
The motels listed here are all at the intersection of Kellogg and Webb road, which is a ¼ mile east of the Ks turnpike (35) exit at Kellogg (54)
Hampton Inn – 94449 E. Corporate Hills Dr Wichita (316) 686-3576
Studio Plus – 9450 E. Corporate Hills Dr Wichita (316) 652-8844
Comfort Inn – 9525 E. Corporate Hills Dr Wichita (316) 686-2844 – (800) 4CHOICE
Fairfield Inn (Marriott) – 333 S. Webb Rd Wichita (316) 685-3777
Residence Inn by Marriott- 411 S. Webb Rd Wichita (316) 686-7331
Motel 6 – 465 S. Webb Rd Wichita (316) 684-6363
Clubhouse Inn & Suites – 515 S. Webb Rd Wichita (316) 684-1111
Super 8 Motel – 527 S Webb Rd Wichita (316) 686-3888

garyb
09-08-2005, 12:29 PM
OK campers we're 2 weeks out, so if you haven't contacted me and you wish to attend please do so ASAP. We are finalizing the count for food and refreshments.

The schedule is close to what was emailed out, but I hope to get it updated and emailed over the next couple of days.
We have some great demo's lined up plus a number of product samples from the various companies and some really good door prizes which ranges from cutters/endmills & T-shirts to software.
look forward to see you all here
Gary

billp
09-25-2005, 04:26 PM
Just got the first photos back from Gary, and it sounds as though they were able to pull it all together in spite of a reduced turnout due to the hurricane...
The first pix (and all that we get thereafter..) can be seen at;http://www.flickr.com/photos/campshopbot/sets/1015520/

garyb
09-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Well as Bill stated we did lose a number of pre-registered botters for the camp, 12 to be exact, 13 if we count Bill’s scenic route into the evacuation black hole of the Houston Airport and return home via hours of layover in Chicago and places unknown…….
Apart from our loses we still managed 19 souls from 4 states on the sign in sheet including myself, then Saturday’s session was down to nine die hard botters.

We started out Friday morning with coffee & danishes and an around the room introduction of both old and new friends as well as some potential new botters
We then handed off to Tom Cornwell our area Onsrud rep who gave us a great presentation, which covered all aspects of cutters, use, feeds, speeds, chiploads, identifying problems and the list went on. This was followed by a question answer session that took us into lunch.

First session of the afternoon briefly covered the creation of the medallion (photos posted by Bill in the above link) then we proceeded to apply the Sculpt Nouveau Bronze finish. To my embarrassment, after a clogged tip in the spray gun I also had to give a plumbing demo after dropping the tip down the drain while cleaning it.
Next session was on V-Carving whereby we took a piece of vector art added some text, toolpathed and cut (wheat pattern with pantry text). This demonstration was aimed on how quickly you can create a custom engraving to make a buck.
Our final session of the day was on 3D & ArtCam where we used the grape example and created a new relief by copying, pasting and manipulating parts of the existing relief. After toolpathing the relief we set it aside for an early morning cut and called it a day around 5:15pm.

After an hour or so break and freshening up we fired up the BBQ where we ate, relaxed and chatted till calling it a night around 10pm.

Saturday morning I started cutting the 3D file around 6:30 that way it finished up around 8:30 while we were drinking coffee and trying to get our blood circulating. On completion of cutting the 3D file we returned to Artcam and created some V-Carve text to accompany our grapes which we in turn toolpathed and cut completing the session.
As the Medallion was now dry we could apply the black wax and sealer to finish it up.

In between our main sessions we had some very good show and tell items from Wayne & Yvonne Hauschild gamedaysigns, Dennis Sapp and his line of knock down Kids furniture, Dan Heflin with his lighthouse, trophies and scaled down version of a Criscaft boat, Gary Norman with his plaques and engravings.

Also we had some excellent product samples and videos from Sculpt Nouveau, Industrial Polymers, All-Star Adhesives, Onsrud and SmoothOn who I would like to publicly thank.
I would also like to thank Bill P. even with his own tale of travel woes he still managed to get back to his shop and create files, which he emailed to us for a session on Saturday.
There will be more photos coming so check back to Bill's link above.
My thanks to everyone who helped us through our first camp.
Gary.