PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Mini Enclosure?

jackarnoldhurley
01-20-2015, 08:31 AM
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Desktop and wonder whether anyone has had any experience with the mini enclosure. Pricey, yes, but a good investment or not? Am I better off building side panels on the table that will hold the unit and letting them contain the dust not collected by the dust skirt on the base of the spindle?

Thanks,
Jack

scottp55
01-20-2015, 09:06 AM
Jack, Kirk at the northern Desktop got one as he planned to do shows, has a 6 yr old Niece who is a regular in the Carving shop where Desktop is set up, and it's a a shared space with his Dad and trying to keep things clean.
Only been up to his shop for 3 days last January to help him set up, but was VERY impressed by how well it was made and how it caught the "escapees" from the dustfoot when dadoing, surfacing when dustfoot was 1/2 on the workpiece. VERY difficult for someone to hurt themselves, and GREAT for running without the dustfoot when trying to watch the quality of cut of your toolpath and may need to change X,Y Move speed or RPM's and your eyeball is at bit height!!
Only thing is we(and others) are now using over-sized spoilboards to utilize the entire cutting area and Kirk had to modify his as it is normally mounted to the extrusions. NOT a big deal in his case but can no longer use the flexible piece in the back.
I don't have one, but am thinking plexi sides and backs for mine to complement the home made front one I almost always use because wheelchair/eyeball height = bit height.
VERY good product, but really depends on your needs. Front panel slides on off easily and the curved handle on top makes it easy to hang by handle almost anywhere.

Kyle Stapleton
01-20-2015, 10:00 AM
Here is a cheap one that I made for craft fairs.
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20656

jackarnoldhurley
01-20-2015, 11:38 AM
Scott and Kyle-

Many thanks for your responses. I think I'l wait until I'm done figuring out the table and decide then.

Jack