PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Southern California Camp Shopbot !

billp
01-28-2007, 01:52 PM
On Saturday March 3, we’ll be holding our 4th annual Southern California Camp Shopbot. It will again be hosted by Ilan Dei at his studio/shop. Ilan’s address is;
2100 Zeno Place
Venice,CA. 90291
(info@ilandeistudio.com (mailto:info@ilandeistudio.com))

We are still trying to line up some guest speakers, and I hope to have some details on the schedule later in the week. However if anyone planning to attend has something they would like to display, or demonstrate please contact me directly so I can include you in the schedule;I can be reached at; campshopbot@shopbottools.com (mailto:campshopbot@shopbottools.com)

We WILL have the “Socal Show and Tell” session again, and if it’s anywhere close to being as diverse as last year : http://www.flickr.com/photos/campshopbot/sets/72057594103500603/ that session will be worth making the trip for in itself…(Folding chairs, wine racks, hot wire cutters, beam saws, etc).

As usual we’ll ask that if you have any specific interests, or a topic you’d like to see us include in the mix, contact us ASAP so we can try to accommodate you.( No promises on this because as most of you are aware not every shop has every gadget some people would like to see, but we’ll try…).

It will help us tremendously if you would be kind enough to inform us of your intention to attend, so we can make the proper arrangements for food, seating, materials, etc.

tas99
01-31-2007, 12:39 PM
This soundsgreat. I'm new owner in So Calif and interested in seeing and hearing other owners, applications, etc. I'm planig to attend.

billp
01-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Tom,
Thanks for the early RSVP. We're still asking all others planning to attend to drop us a note , either here, or at the above e-mail address...

thewoodcrafter
01-31-2007, 02:02 PM
I'll be attending.

dscfab
02-03-2007, 11:08 AM
I had a great time last year and will be attending as well. Thanks Ilan,
Dave Cohen

billp
02-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Here are a few "program updates"for the SoCal Camp.
John Hansen from Onsrud will be there to discuss tooling choices, and strategies.
A rep from the MecSoft Corporation will be there to discuss Visualmill, and RhinoCam software.
Ken Zill will discuss the art of making surfboards with a Shopbot.
Ilan is trying to find a local signmaker who can go over cutting techniques as well.
Don't forget; please contact us so we can make appropriate plans for the number of people attending. And if you can, bring something! Either pix, or actual projects you have made on your machine.
As with ALL Camps this year we're asking that you "prepare" your Show and Tell talk so we can keep everyone down to a 10-15 minute time frame. This will allow everyone a chance to get up and show us some new tricks...

bcammack
02-07-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm sure you'd draw as many ShopBotters if this were held in Hesperia or Norco, but Venice is a most excellent locale for a Camp ShopBot! As an ex-Californian, I wish I could make it.

"Venice Beach" ring a bell??

billp
02-21-2007, 01:03 PM
We're closing in on the Southern California Camp and we have been getting a bunch of RSVP's in the last few weeks. If you intend to come, and have not yet let either Ilan or myself know about your plans, please take a few minutes and drop one of us an e-mail. Thanks !

ilan_dei
02-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Hi to all
We are one week away from our 4th annual shop bott camp in southern California

It should be a very interesting day
Ken zill will show California style surfboard done on the shop bott
David Cohen will talk about use of shop bott in the movie industry
Bill Palumbo will talk if is willing about what other people doing with shop bott
Gabriel McKinney will talk about cutting 3d file and cabinet making
Jo and Anita from Visual mill [rhino-cam] will show how to rap design around surface as well their new software rhino art
From onsurd [routers bits] john Hansen will unfold the mysteries of cutting edge moving in 18000 rpm
I will talk about how to create high-end top of the line modern wood furniture with shop bott
Will talk about vacuum clamping, cutting alum, sign …etc
Please bring photos or material of your work.
We Will start 9 am
2100 zeno place, Venice ca 90291
Our phone # 310-302-9222
Located 6 blocks from Venice boardwalk

ilan

billp
02-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Just a quick note to avoid any confusion; we will be having a coffee/donut session between 8:30-9AM, and the actual sessions will begin at 9. Hopefully this way everyone will be able to find Ilan's shop, and we'll have enough time to cover all of the topics mentioned above.
For those of you attending don't forget to try and bring something for Show and Tell, OR a couple of pictures we can show.
As we expect a sizeable turnout this year we'd appreciate it if you would go over your prersentations in advance, and keep them to a manageable time frame so everyone gets a fair chance to show how they are using their Shopbot.

billp
03-06-2007, 10:22 AM
There were 25 people attending the Camp on Saturday, and we got to see and hear some interesting stuff.
Reps from Onsrud, and Mec Soft (Rhino/Rhino Art/Rhino Cam) were there to discuss tooling and software solutions.
Ilan's shop (as always) had a variety of ongoing prototype projects.
Gabriel Mckeagney brought in some spectacular carvings he does for very high end homes.
Sandor Pratt showed some chair designs of processed bamboo he is planning to produce and market.
David Cohen showed pictures of props he builds for the movie industry .
And there was a lot of info traded between the " organized" sessions.
It sounds as though there will be either some car pools or a caravan coming up from SoCal to the Jamboree in May as well.
We've just posted a few pix from the Camp on the Shopbot Flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/campshopbot/sets/72157594573181591/
Thanks again to Ilan for hosting the event !