PDA

View Full Version : European Camp Shopbot !!!

billp
01-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Robert Lofthouse has volunteered to host this year's Euro Camp Shopbot at his facilty on Sat/Sun.June10/11, 2006. I will attach Robert's description of his location below.
We're hoping that some of the people who were planning to attend last year's event will again consider doing so. Maybe we can organize some sort of a "group" travel arrangement so those of us crossing the pond can get together for our travels to Robert's shop. Further details will follow as we see how the lineup develops, so please keep an eye on the Forum. Here is Robert's note;
We are located in Blackburn Lancashire... Which is 30 to 40 mins drive from
Manchester airport, 2hrs from Birmingham airport and approx 5 hrs from
London.

Liverpool airport is approx 1hrs drive and Blackpool airport is approx
45mins drive. Liverpool and Blackpool are smaller airports and will not
handle direct flights from the USA.

Our premises are 2 mins from the Motorway network.

The following link will show you a map.....
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?pc=BB12qq&GridE=&GridN=&scale=10000&tit le=map1&cat=h

Blackburn is or was an industrial town with very few highlights, however
within easy travelling time are some major tourist attractions.

We will very quickly put together further information regarding
accommodation (different standards of) and any relevant tourist info.

gerald_d
01-26-2006, 01:24 PM
This year I will be there in spirit only - I'll be cheerleading from the sidelines.

vicky_obrien
03-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Do we need to register for the European Camp? This will be our first time at a Camp and we're really looking forward to it! I'm ready to start booking the trip.

billp
03-18-2006, 09:09 PM
Vicky,
You can contact our host-Robert Lofthouse at; robert"at"lofthouse.ws and let him know you'll be there...

bob_lofthouse
04-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Hi all,

Just a quick email to announce the Euro Shopbot Cnc Camp which is to be held on the 10th & 11th of June 2006 in Blackburn, Lancashire. We are hoping - though this is not confirmed - that we will have some guests from the States.

All are invited to attend either 1 or 2 days and to help with planning, I would be grateful if you could send me a quick email to let me know if you do wish to attend.

If anyone requires hotel accommodation please let me know and I will forward you some appropriate information.

We are hoping to cover the following subjects during the 2 days:-

Vacuum hold down techniques
Software (including Vcarve wizard and Parts Wizard)
Money Making ideas
Modifications to shopbots

We will also cover the process of probing a wooden template and following this through with using 'parts wizard' to produce a part with end result of installing a plywood van interior. Should anyone have a vehicle they wish lined free of charge please contact me as we will use this as a demonstrator(first come first served basis).

Our location and map can be found at http://www.plylineuk.co.uk/thwaitesmap.htm

Yours

Robert Lofthouse

Email:- robert"at"lofthouse.ws

bob_lofthouse
04-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Hi all,

The european camp shopbot is approaching fast and I've had some good news that both Bill Palumbo and Ted from Shopbottools will be coming over from the states.

As I've said before all are welcome and I'd love to see some more of my American fellow botters make the journey over and visit our wonderful country.

Below are a list of Hotels for anyone looking for accommodation.

Dunkenhalgh Hotel (10 mins drive from venue) http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/dunkenhalgh/

Travelodge Blackburn (5 mins drive from venue) http://www.travelodge.co.uk/find_a_hotel/hotel.php?hotel_id=114

Northcote Manor (20 mins drive from venue) http://www.northcotemanor.com/

Clarion Hotel (20 mins drive from venue) http://www.hotels-blackburn.com/

I look forward to seeing you all soon and if anyone needs anymore information please don't hesitate to drop me a line.

billp
05-29-2006, 05:39 PM
With a little under 2 weeks to go we're sending out this reminder to all those who have indicated interest in attending the 2006 European Camp Shopbot.
For those already planning to attend, the Camps usually start "around" 9AM and run on until about 5PM. In many cases this is extended as people go to have a meal together afterwards, and I believe that Robert already has some ideas of local places to suggest to us.
We should have enough variety of interests, and backgrounds , to make this Camp worth the travelling time.
Please feel free to contact any of us in the interim if you have specific interests you'd like to see covered at the Camp....

bob_lofthouse
05-30-2006, 04:13 PM
Hi all,

If anyone is interested in coming to the camp don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Below are a couple of pics of our setup.

bob_lofthouse
06-08-2006, 01:40 PM
I'm Looking forward to meeting everyone on Saturday and Sunday.... Kick off is 9am

billp
06-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Robert,
Ted and I are both headed towards the airport(s) within the hour, and we'll probably stop by your shop sometime in the Morning.....

hespj
06-09-2006, 08:56 AM
Just in case you didn't get my email Robert, I can't come I'm afraid. I was really looking forward to it to.

John

benchmark
06-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Hi Robert

Many thanks to you and your family for putting on a great weekend... + a thanks to Ted and Bill from Shopbot HQ.

Many thanks

Paul

Brian Moran
06-12-2006, 06:36 PM
I too would like to thank Robert and his family. Everyone was made most welcome and I learnt a great deal from the weekend.

Cheers

Brian

billp
06-12-2006, 09:00 PM
I just got back from the airport, and after I unpack I’ll start to download a lot of pictures we took at the Euro Camp.
It was a GREAT weekend! Robert, his wife Liz, his staff and the rest of his family really made all of us feel at home. There were 16 people attending between Sat./Sun. and I think everyone went home with a bunch of new ideas to work on.
There are many other thanks you’s to extend as well…
Tony Mckenzie and Brian Moran of V Carve Pro stayed for the full two days. Paul Smith of Delcam came Sunday and did some one on one software coaching. We had six Campers come over on the ferries from Ireland ( and they somehow won ALL of the door prizes…!)…
Paul Amos brought in some samples of his work, and showed off some commercial vacuum pods. Vicky O’Brien and Glenn Acker brought in some of their solid surface work for Show and Tell. And everybody was great at sharing resources when we were trying to figure out WHERE to find a lot of the newer products we were describing.
Unlike many other Camps we had the full second day to actually try things out. Robert has two machines and we were probing, and cutting plywood van liners (“plylining” is a major business in England). Tony and Brian drew up some files in the latest version of V Carve Pro and we cut some large photo faces in aluminum and MDF. It was a relaxed, but busy day, as everyone got a chance to SEE what they came for.
We’ll post some pictures on the Camp Flickr page tomorrow so you can see some of this yourselves. And I will also be writing up a short account of “Ted and Bill’s excellent Euro Camp adventures” (including our circuitous route through the middle of England as we were navigating with what looked like a restaurant place mat for the first two days...), and the 750 year old castle/hotel where we stayed.
We’ll have all those details on the Shopbot web page soon.
Ted is still over there visiting with Tony and Brian, and then he’ll head to Delcam’s offices and spend a day or so. He may have more pix to add upon his return.
And on top of all this we somehow hit a major heat wave (it was in the upper 80’s everyday) and England won their first World Cup match on Saturday so it was pretty lively in the local pubs (and streets) that evening…A winning weekend all around !

bob_lofthouse
06-13-2006, 03:27 AM
Hi everyone,

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who attended the Camp this year.

If I had to thank everyone who made this such a great camp my post would be longer than Bill's and I can't wait to see the Bill and Ted's excellant adventure report.

I can't speak for everyone else but I learn't so many new things it's incredible. I've spent the last 48hrs in a complete daze trying to remember and implement all the useful tips, tricks and info I learnt.

We were very, very lucky to have so many knowledgeable people in one place.

Once again many, many thanks to everyone.

Robert Lofthouse

billp
06-13-2006, 11:01 AM
We've just posted 41 pictures from the Euro Camp on the Shopbot Flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/campshopbot/

Bruce Shiel (Unregistered Guest)
06-14-2006, 05:35 AM
Hello,

Thanks to Robert and family, you were most excellent hosts. Thanks also to all who gave us some very helpful advice.

Bruce Shiel