PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a Shopbot, advice?

mdebruce
02-18-2015, 02:57 PM
I again have the money and want to purchase a Shopbot. I have tried before but life got in the way.

The main thing I want to do is lithopanes/v-carvings on lexan material and small signs/tags. The objects I have in mind will fit on a desktop.
My questions are; Will the Desktop be the correct choice for speed and accuracy or is a buddy just as accurate and fast?
Will a router do ok for this application or does a spindle work appreciably better?

Because of shop room the Buddy is as large as I want to go. I think I might prefer a Buddy for the extra size so I can do more projects but thought the Deskbot might be faster?

There are several Desktops on this forum for sale and have low hours. I was considering them. If you have an opinion how much is the "new" warranty and support worth to a newbie?

Also for the above projects will the Shopbot come with the correct software?

Thanks guys,
Mark

steve_g
02-18-2015, 03:49 PM
Mark…
IMHO the warranty issue is nonexistent! If there is a warranty need, generally it’s discovered while the machine is being setup!
The type of work you’re describing can be done with V-Carve Pro, the Vectric 2D software Bots come with. If you buy used, there’s a possibility it’ll come with Aspire, the 3d software that VCP is a subset of.
Generally, I say buy the most bot you can afford! You never know where this is going! I understand (not from firsthand experience) that the desktop may have more precision… Others may voice their opinion here.
When you said you wanted to carve “Lexan” I hope that was a generic term for plastics… Lexan is a polycarbonate that doesn’t carve as well as Plexiglas (acrylics).
Enjoy the hunt!
SG

jerry_stanek
02-18-2015, 04:08 PM
For lithos photo vcarve is good and very affordable.

bleeth
02-18-2015, 05:18 PM
Whether you buy a new or used machine SB support by phone or e-mail is always free and doesn't have an end date. The desktop has a finer resolution for small projects. The Buddy can handle larger things and can also cut faster. I believe in spindles and base my statements on using them and not a router. I know a guy using a buddy to cut precision machined aluminum plates for his business. For such as lithophanes, edge lit signs, etc both will do a fine job. For precise v-engraving such as name tags, marine panel overlays, etc the desktop is superior, but I have heard of guys doing ADA signs with a full size mill

harryball
02-18-2015, 09:56 PM
I think you have most of your answers. As for the Buddy accuracy, check out this thread...

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2236

I brought his machine to my shop and made the alterations needed to get the accuracy he needed for the really small stuff he was doing. It did work as you can see at the end of the thread. It should give you an idea of what the Buddy is capable of if tuned to the job.

I ended up working with/on/around 3 Buddies even using one to cut bat house kits. I have to say they have their place but I'm not a ardent fan of the design. They will perform and do the job and can do it well. For small light work, Hobby work or highly specialized work they are great and you can modify them to do some cool things. However, the moving table design made hold down (which is already an art) into a ballet. I almost talked myself into purchasing the one Marty sold but decided against it. If I had a specific task it was suited for I wouldn't hesitate, like carving long mantles or making one into an indexer etc... but for general cutting I wasn't interested.

I do not have direct experience with the Desktop model beyond seeing several of them running. I understand they can be very accurate.

Whatever you choose, spindle, spindle, spindle, no router.

Good luck!

/RB

scottp55
02-19-2015, 04:55 AM
Nothing to compare it to, But can't imagine getting more accurate than the Desktop with spindle:)
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18818&highlight=desktop+deliciousness
My ears thank me every day for buying the spindle, and it's Really nice to have both feed AND speed extremely adjustable.
Like it so much we bought Two:)
Really nice to know I can run the toolpath twice, no matter how intricate, to clean up any "Fuzzies", as some details are a PITA to sand,and not lose any detail.
If buying used, it's important to make sure when it was bought! 5.5Z Desktop started about April last year. 1.5" doesn't seem like much, but life is easier and let's you do more things 4"Z just doesn't let you.
.02$
scott

mdebruce
02-19-2015, 07:53 AM
Thanks guys! This helped a lot.
As always Very clear and concise answers.

jerry_stanek
02-19-2015, 09:43 AM
I do lithos on my 48x96 PRS standard here is one that I did in corian and plexi

Brian Harnett
02-19-2015, 12:51 PM
I would buy the biggest I can afford I have done many things on the bot that were not on my radar when I got my 48x96 2003 prt.

I did the lithophane lamps in 2004 on it, never had much luck selling them but that could have been my lack of marketing skill. The material was 1/4 high density polyethylene with a 1/16 ball mill, machines nicely with no gumming issues

http://i.imgur.com/JdFem8X.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EkzyEZv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6drYYGp.jpg

mdebruce
02-19-2015, 05:11 PM
Amazing, did not know that level of detail was possible! Brian you did those on a large machine?

jerry_stanek
02-19-2015, 06:02 PM
Here are a couple more

David Iannone
02-19-2015, 06:32 PM
Yes, the large machines can do amazing detail. I would suggest looking up a few shopbotters close to you and see if you could go visit their shop. There are good deals to be had on older machines too. But you got to make sure they have the 4g board or RBK box upgrade. If they don't, just make sure you budget the cost to drop the new board in the control box.

Dave

David Iannone
02-19-2015, 06:34 PM
Holy cow Jerry, the detail is excellant on those.

Brian Harnett
02-19-2015, 08:40 PM
Amazing, did not know that level of detail was possible! Brian you did those on a large machine?

Yes that was on my prt 48x96 with the original controller still state of the art in 2004, though the alpha had just came out.

Have upgraded to the rbk much smoother and faster but the old machines work fine just have to know the limits.

jerry_stanek
02-20-2015, 07:02 AM
Yes both were done on a 48x96 one was done on a PRS Standard and the other on a vintage PR with the 4g upgrade.

mdebruce
02-20-2015, 08:17 AM
Would not mind seeing a Shopbot in action.
If anyone is close to Pulaski, Tennessee which is south of Nashville, Tennessee, north of Huntsville Al. and would not mind a visitor pm me.

scottp55
02-20-2015, 08:44 AM
Mark, Give Dianne a call at Shopbot and see if they have a registered Demo person in your area.
If somebody offers some time on their machine, make sure and mention they should E-mail Dianne and register. We don't do it for the money, BUT it sure was nice to see the check from Shopbot:)
We bought our machine and I'd never even Touched one:)
It would have REALLY sped up the learning curve if I had taken one of the guys up on their kind offers, AND to allow them to buy some tools or bits they've been drooling over, but couldn't quite the money together.
scott
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21099

chiloquinruss
02-20-2015, 11:48 PM
Not quite the same as the others are showing but I do a lot with sintra pvc for model buildings. The door on the left is 1 x 1 1/2 inches and the one on the right is 3/4 x 1 1/2 inches. BTW I have an older 48x96 std with spindle (quiet). Russ

http://hobby-tronics.lenzus.com/content/21775739/r/s_93552286.jpg

scottp55
02-21-2015, 05:06 AM
Niiice Russ:)

tlempicke
02-21-2015, 07:39 AM
I have both the Buddy and the Desktop. Both are good machines and will keep you busy for a long time. Both have spindles, and I would never go back to a router. All of the posts will reference noise, because that is the most obvious thing about a spindle. There is really a lot more to it. Spindles run at a constant speed that you set. The controller will feed in more power to keep it running at that speed as the cut varies.

If you go the Buddy route make sure to read Andrew Coholics thread on modifying the table. You can find it here
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19903

That really takes the Buddy to the next level as far as accuracy.