PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Camp

charles_o
05-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks to all who have expressed intrest in the Seattle Camp on Aug 12th, hosted at the Seattle Center.
Date: Aug.12th
Time: 7:30 - 5:30
Place: Seattle center Maint shops. 621 2nd Ave Seattle Wa (this is not a mial address. if you need to send anything by snail-mail then contact me for an address)

Watch for more info about the agenda over the next few weeks, but for now here is what I am thinking.
A session on vacuum holddowns as I do it plus a open discussion as to what others are doing.
A session on tool selection, feed/spindle speeds with input from a rep(s) from eastside saw and or Onsrud. (details still to be worked out)
A "show & tell". I plan to set up a area in the shop where attendees can show off their projects
Other general interest topic still to be set ( give your feedback if there is something you would like to cover)
Attached is a list of area hotels if you are in need of one.
Also if there is enough interest then I may also do a meet and greet on Friday the 11th.
Charles

Hotels.pdf (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/11096/Hotels-13478.pdf) (42.7 k)

sagreen83
07-19-2006, 05:56 PM
Charles, any updates on this camp?

billp
07-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Scott,
I just got back from some travelling, and Charles and I will try to get something posted here shortly...Bill Palumbo

billp
07-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Two weeks left!
We'll be having the first Seattle Camp in two weeks, and we need to start hearing back from those who plan to attend. This will let us get our supplies, prizes, and food arranged.
We're going to be dealing with a number of topics;
Charles will show his vacuum setup, and we'll get into a full discussion of other techniques including pods/spoilboards, and vacuum masking.
We'll also do a simple vacuum bagging demo to add another dimension to the process.
The use of various software packages will also be covered. This will allow people to see what their current options are.
How to use your machine to do 3Dimensional work, or mold making will be addressed.
We'll show some of the products/projects other Shopbotters are doing, including modifications to their machines.
"Show and Tell" so we can see some of what those of you in the area are using YOUR machines for.
And of course all Camps are pretty flexible, so if everyone gets interested in something specific, we can "adapt"accordingly...
Please get back to Charles or myself in the immediate future to let us know you plan to attend.
Charles has posted (above) a list of local hotels for those of us coming from other areas. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Me...Thanks !

charles_o
07-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Two weeks. Wow.
August 12 is rapidly approaching and the plans for the camp are coming together. I plan on getting to the shop at about 7:30 and will open up and have coffee and doughnuts ect. available at 8:00. We will get under way at 9:00 and go until late afternoon. Address for the shop is 621 2nd Ave. N., Seattle. If you map quest it will show the location at the opposite end of the block. (We are on the corner 2nd and Roy St.)
There is some free parking near the shop and pay lots are usually reasonable on weekends. Please do not park in the loading zone on the Roy St side of the shop.
I really am looking forward to meeting everyone and having the chance to learn from each other and Bill. Please do post here or send me an e-mail if you plan on attending so I can be prepared accordingly.
Thanks
Charles

seana
07-28-2006, 02:59 PM
I'm really looking forward to attending camp.
Please count me in

Charles, I would be happy to come down early and help you set up if needed.

Sean,

sagreen83
07-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Looking forward to my first camp after owning a bot for 3 years. I will be at the camp with my wife...

cnc_works
07-29-2006, 01:00 AM
I will be attending with my friend, Rick. Wives will probably donate to Seattle's economy (shopping).

Donn

mondokf@netscape.net
07-31-2006, 12:45 AM
I plan on attending the camp in
seattle. I'm a ShopBot owner since 2002. Keith

ron_moorehead
08-01-2006, 09:16 AM
I plan on being at the camp.

billp
08-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the RSVP's folks. I know that both Charles and I have been getting responses all week.
If you DO plan to attend, but have NOT responded to one of us yet, please do so in the next week so we can get a good idea of how many people to prepare for.
P.S. - I waited pretty late to make hotel reservations and had to get lucky to find something downtown. I'm not sure what event is happening that weekend, but you might want to get your room locked in if you haven't done so...

charles_o
08-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Thanks Bill
I just sent out an e-mail to all the addresses I have had inquiries from. (If you had replied at some point by e-mail and did not get a response from me, I appoligize. I keep my junk mail filter set at a level that does not let outside mail get though.)
If you had replied at some point beyond a couple of weeks ago that you were planning on attending the camp, could you please do so again so I can get a idea on how many to plan for.
Thanks
Charles

wayne_walker
08-04-2006, 01:42 AM
Bill & Charles,

I will be attending the camp. If I can be of any assistance just let me know.

Wayne

cnc_works
08-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Will there be any Friday connections? We're driving up Friday and may get in a little early.

Donn

charles_o
08-08-2006, 10:59 AM
Don
At this time there is no formal event planned at the shop. I would welcome anyone else to respond and if there interest in something Friday evening, then posibblly the shop could be a meeting place.
Charles

routerclouter
08-09-2006, 01:33 AM
I'll be in Seattle early too and would like to meet fellow ShopBotters on Friday evening if possible. I'll be coming from Victoria on Vancouver Island in Canada, and will be in Seattle on Friday.

charles_o
08-09-2006, 09:41 PM
There seems to be enough interest in getting together Friday for dinner. If you can join us let me know soon so I can find a resturant close to the shop that can handle a party.

routerclouter
08-10-2006, 01:41 AM
If you’re having trouble finding the way to Charles OBriant’s place, at 621 2nd Ave. N., Seattle here’s some things that may help. To get maps and directions online I use both
www.mapquest.com (http://www.mapquest.com) and
www.maps.google.com (http://www.maps.google.com)
because both do some things better than the other. If you hold down the control key and press N a new version of you browser should pop up, so you can have both map sites on the screen and switch between mapquest and maps.google.com as you wish.
If you can’t click on the links below and and go there, just copy the address starting with http:// into the address bar at the top of your browser screen.

Here’s the link for mapquest showing Charles’ place:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=US&popflag=0&lati tude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory= &cat=&address=621+2nd+Ave.+N&city=Seattle&state=WA &zipcode (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=US&popflag=0&lati tude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory= &cat=&address=621+2nd+Ave.+N&city=Seattle&state=WA &zipcode)

and here’s the one on maps.google:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=621+2nd+Ave.+N.,+Seattle+WA&ie=UT F8&ll=47.625285,-122.344522&spn=0.014809,0.043259&om=1 (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=621+2nd+Ave.+N.%2C+Seattle+WA&ie= UTF8&ll=47.625285%2C-122.344522&spn=0.014809%2C0.043259&om=1)

maps.google lets you move around the map with the mouse, a feature mapquest doesn’t have. Yet.

The next one is a link which lets you put in your starting point, and it will draw you a map from your home in North America to Charles’ place, and give you written directions and separate maps of the tricky parts as well. When you get to the screen, go to the top left quarter of the page, and click on the blue text: Directions To. Then enter your starting point, which can be your home or the highway you’re taking into Seattle. (That’s why it’s good to have maps.google open so you can drag around to find a starting place in Seattle.)

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?src=maps&1sb=revise&2l=76CviHYuhLU%3d&2g= SBJticiX0j%2fE7mL23cPPPw%3d%3d&2v=ADDRESS&2a=621%2 02nd%20Ave%20N&2c=Seattle&2s=WA&2z=98109%2d4101&2y =US&2pn=&2pl=&cat=

Hope this might help someone and I hope I got it all right and didn’t bungle some detail.

And if it’s tough getting from your place to Charles’, here’s something that might make you feel better <weak grin>. I’m coming from an island in Canada, so my journey might be a tad more complicated. <grin> Although I’m probably closer than some other ShopBotters.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing everyone there!

charles_o
08-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Thanks John
Both maps look good except the building is on the Roy St end of the block, not Mercer

charles_o
08-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Not a lot of response for Friday, so we will not do a planned event. But if anyone is intrested in getting together for dinner to talk ShopBot, come to the shop at 5:00.

billp
08-13-2006, 08:18 PM
I would like to thank Charles for all the work he did to arrange the first Camp Shopbot in Seattle.We had 30 "Campers" attend and it was a good mix of experienced owners, as well as first time viewers.
We covered quite a bit of material during the day, and there were a number of good pieces brought in by some of the group to show what they do with their 'Bots. As usual we'll be posting some pix on the Flickr Camp page in the next day or so...

seana
08-14-2006, 10:40 AM
Charles, thanks for hosting the Seattle camp.
Bill and Martha, thanks for making the trip out here and putting on a great camp.

Thanks for all the rest of the attendees, i learned a great deal from all of you.

Sean

wayne_walker
08-15-2006, 01:24 AM
Charles, Thank you for hosting an excellant camp. You have a very nice shop. I like the idea of the aluminum extrusion you have under your plenum to increase the rigdity.

Bill & Martha - Thanks for supporting us botters out here in the Northwest.

Thanks to the other botters for your questions and comments. All info makes us all more informed.

Wayne

routerclouter
08-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Thank you Charles, Bill and Martha for doing such a fine job at the Seattle Camp Shopbot.

I learned so much I'll be forced to help my brain recover with a couple of beers.

Thanks again.

John

cnc_works
08-18-2006, 11:20 AM
I took a short vacation after the camp so the late post.

I'll echo the appreciation to Charles, Bill and Martha for all the work to make the camp so rewarding.

Bill, your constant informative energy is just amazing!

Donn

sagreen83
08-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Same here... Great camp, thanks to Charles, Bill and Martha for hosting. Bill, had great ideas, and shared lots of great tips!

Before we all forget, it would be nice if we could post the tips / ideas that we took away from the camp...

1) Fein vacuums seem to work great for vacuum tables.
2) You can 2 stage Fein vacuums with smaller Gast pumps to get super holddown.
3) Lithophane (sp?) is way better than any pictures I have seen taken of it. Almost like a halogram to me.

Please continue this thread...

Scott...