PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for the response

MogulTx
02-24-2015, 11:19 PM
OK. OK. I go away for an hour or so and suddenly the new forum is popping up! Wow! Feels close to the old one.... but looks very different.... gotta go explore and see what you folks have cooked up.

(Nancy, et al, I hope no one has to lose too much sleep over the switch over/upgrade! Best of luck on it! Thanks for all that you folks do!)

Monty

gc3
02-24-2015, 11:36 PM
kinda bummer it changed to newer VB settings...

looks like others using same, for me nice to see "new posts" without having to login, hopefully the 10 mins edit rule goes away

cada quien...

best of luck for new format...

scottp55
02-25-2015, 04:56 AM
WOW!!!
Thought I was in the wrong place:)
Funny how you get comfortable with old stuff, and uncomfortable with "New", even though new might be better.
Like Monty need to check it out:)
Beginning to feel like my Grandfather, when I asked him "Why didn't you leave a message on my phone?) and he said "I'm NOT going to talk to a machine!!!" :)
scott

scottp55
02-25-2015, 05:23 AM
Under "quick links" there used to be a setting for "last 3 days" "last 7 days" etc., now under new posts all I see is 1-20 out of 20?
And no pages?
Just wondering if everything got reset, and will become normal with more history?
This was very first forum I ever joined, so not very "Up" on this stuff:(
Thanks,
scott

Brady Watson
02-25-2015, 08:02 AM
Yeah...It is a little weird, but a number of us have been wishing that this forum would be upgraded.

So far so good...

-B

Joe Porter
02-25-2015, 11:12 AM
I don't like it...I don't care what anybody says...I know I am low on the totem pole around here when it comes to computer savvy, but the forum worked just fine a couple of versions ago and I had gotten used to the last version, (which I didn't like at first either). The earlier forums had a special ShopBot look to them, this looks generic. I hate change when it comes to computers and programs..I know, time marches on. Oh well, I guess I will just have to get used to this version, Then you all can change it again!!...joe

mark_stief
02-25-2015, 11:38 AM
Ditto to what Joe says We've said it before if it ain't broke you can't fix it

adrianm
02-25-2015, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't say the old one wasn't broke. There was lots wrong with it if you were used to more up to date forums and a few things wrong in general.

srwtlc
02-25-2015, 01:00 PM
For the most part, it's fine and something one can get used to as time goes by. My only complaint so far would be the lack of branding (guessing it's yet to come) and the lower contrast is a bit tougher on aging eyes at first, but getting used to that too. :)

chiloquinruss
02-25-2015, 01:18 PM
The reality of forum software is that it is mostly controlled by the host sites servers. If they upgrade their server software, it may or may not be compatible with the FORUM software. In that case then they also need to upgrade that as well. Host servers constantly need to be upgraded because the NETWORK THEY are connected to is in a constant state of change. And as the saying goes, the wheel goes round and round. Now if we could only get MS to UPGRADE their stuff! ;) Russ

Brady Watson
02-25-2015, 02:08 PM
The reality of forum software is that it is mostly controlled by the host sites servers. If they upgrade their server software, it may or may not be compatible with the FORUM software. ...

Ed Zachery. I believe that is the case.

I'm not completely thrilled with the newness - because your brain gets used to seeing things a certain way - but if you visit other forums, the layout is very similar. It WILL become 'normal' over time.

-B

curtiss
02-25-2015, 11:17 PM
I would suppose ShopBot had a number of reasons to change the forum. Perhaps compatibility, security or several other issues.

It looks good so far, they could provide a few reasons for the conversion.

adrianm
02-26-2015, 01:26 AM
I would suppose ShopBot had a number of reasons to change the forum. Perhaps compatibility, security or several other issues.

It looks good so far, they could provide a few reasons for the conversion.
One is that the old one didn't work properly with modern browsers so a lot of people couldn't view pictures without using two browsers.

steve_g
02-26-2015, 03:23 AM
Is anyone else having issueswith the new forum software leaving out spaces between words?
I compose my questions/answersin word and copy/paste them into the forum. After I post, I notice that severalwords are run together… I often have to edit multiple times to fix the issues.
SG

steve_g
02-26-2015, 03:24 AM
As in the two instances above!
SG

Brady Watson
02-26-2015, 07:13 AM
No...I haven't run into that Steve. I'm using Chrome. Not sure what browser you are using. I am wondering if you have an addon that is causing it? Does this happen on any other forum?

-B

adrianm
02-26-2015, 07:25 AM
Is it where the word are wrapping around in Word?

scottp55
02-26-2015, 07:32 AM
Firefox here Steve, and no problem so far.
I was just looking for a post within the last week, but can't remember the OP OR the name of the thread:(
Any idea how to check posts from a few to 7days old? Making me feel stupid(which isn't hard:)
scott

adrianm
02-26-2015, 07:45 AM
If you click on What's New at the top and then use the Filter on the right hand side you can display all posts that fit the filter.

scottp55
02-26-2015, 07:57 AM
Duh!
Thanks Adrian!!
Works a charm:)
scott

steve_g
02-26-2015, 10:17 AM
I’m using IE11, the problemonly happens when I cut and paste… if I type directly into the forum, noissues. It’s really strange, when I paste the text, everything looks good. It’snot until I actually post the text that the issue happens. I haven’t made any connectionsas to word-wrap issues. Is anyone elsecutting and pasting?
SG

Brady Watson
02-26-2015, 10:43 AM
Just for the heck of it, try using Notepad & not Word. Notepad will strip out any formatting that may be coming over. You'd think that it would come over fine being MS products, but IE has been a problem for a long time with little things like this...I refuse to use it and only keep it on the computer for dependencies from other programs that require it. Chrome or FireFox are better 99% of the time.

-B

steve_g
02-26-2015, 10:57 AM
The following is cut and pasted from word pad...
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.
Testing in hopes of solving a mystery!
SG

steve_g
02-26-2015, 10:58 AM
interesting...
SG

ssflyer
02-26-2015, 11:05 AM
Steve,

You can also take a look at your pasted text in source mode on the forum post (first icon on the top left) and see exactly what is being pasted.

David Iannone
02-26-2015, 11:07 AM
Testing ipad

David Iannone
02-26-2015, 11:08 AM
You can post more than one pic at a time with IPad now. That's a nice improvement.

Dave

adrianm
02-26-2015, 11:34 AM
Steve, are you using the Paste from Word option under the advanced reply options in the forum or pasting directly into the reply box?

khaos
02-26-2015, 11:44 AM
Dear everyone. I am just happy we still have the historical posts. So we are good on that. The update will grow on us.

steve_g
02-26-2015, 11:45 AM
In the old forum I believe Iwas in the advanced options. I see here I’m not. I’ll try this response pastedinto the advanced.
SG

Grrrr grumble grumble….

khaos
02-26-2015, 11:59 AM
<geek stuff to follow>This is vBulletin 4.2.2 interesting and a little sad that they target IE9 rather than straight standards. Maybe i will make a custom SB theme... You know in my free time. :rolleyes:<geek stuff done>

Brady Watson
02-26-2015, 12:32 PM
The following is cut and pasted from word pad...
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.
Testing in hopes of solving a mystery!
SG

Steve,
Notepad is NOT the same thing as Wordpad...Wordpad is a RICH TEXT editor. Notepad is basically a big 'text box'. Two different animals.

Start - Run - Notepad

-B

adrianm
02-26-2015, 04:56 PM
Using the forum on my mobile phone at the moment. A much nicer experience than the old one once the mobile skin is selected.

steve_g
02-28-2015, 03:35 PM
Just a follow up note here…
Under the posting advanced options, there’s an icon (top row third from left} that says “Post as plain text” This operation will read your “clipboard” and import it without any formatting. This has solved my deleted spaces between words problem... :)
SG

Brady Watson
02-28-2015, 04:11 PM
Word. Glad you got it sorted.

-B