PDA

View Full Version : Custom drill setup

JimmyD
03-05-2015, 07:51 PM
I thought I would share my custom drill installation. I didn't want an air drill, minimal speed control, air compressor demands, etc. So I came up with a mount for an electric drill. Variable speed, 1/2" chuck capacity, reversible if necessary, and a lifetime guarantee on the drill! It's easily removable and works great.

Jim243022430324304

Brian Harnett
03-05-2015, 07:58 PM
Nice looks very well made, professional

Brady Watson
03-05-2015, 08:47 PM
Nicely done, Jim. Thanks for posting.

-B

curtiss
03-05-2015, 09:22 PM
Nice work. So is the y position the exact same for both the drill and the spindle? Is there some micro adjustment or shim for that ?

You just have to move the drill down the x axis (say 6 inches or so) and re-zero the x before you run the drill tool path ?

JimmyD
03-05-2015, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the nice comments. I thought I would share to fertilize others thoughts and plans.

The y position is the same within a couple of thousandths. The x is offset 3.4". No shims or micro-adjustment, it's all in the design and machining of the parts that I made for the mount.

Jim

David Iannone
03-06-2015, 09:36 AM
Very nice setup Jim.

I really like seeing how everyone does their own custom setups on their Shopbots.
It looks like its mounted to the same z as the spindle? Did you have to beef up the z springs? Or am I looking at it wrong?

Thanks,
Dave

JimmyD
03-06-2015, 10:39 AM
Very nice setup Jim.

I really like seeing how everyone does their own custom setups on their Shopbots.
It looks like its mounted to the same z as the spindle? Did you have to beef up the z springs? Or am I looking at it wrong?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,
Yes, it is mounted to the same Z as the spindle. I utilized the cage that shopbot sells for mounting their air drills. I have not beefed up the springs. I am assuming (or the time being) that they will be sufficient because if you add air drills from shopbot, using this cage, you don't change the springs. But, that being said, my intent is to monitor what happens and proceed from there.

Jim