PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut Camp Shopbot !

billp
05-02-2006, 04:21 PM
On Saturday, Sept. 23rd we are going to hold our first Connecticut Camp at Jim Hansen's shop in Mystic,CT.
Jim is a short distance away from Mystic Seaport, and if you haven't been there before plan to spend an extra day (or more..) so you can visit one of the best "living museums"in the country.
Jim's contact info is;
jimhansen@snet.net (mailto:jimhansen@snet.net)
We'll follow up with all the details over the next few weeks...

billp
05-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Here is Jim's address as well as some info on accomodations;
"The shop address is 565 Noank Ledyard Road Mystic CT 06355 exit 89 off I-95 south on Allen Street first right on Sandy Hollow Road 3/4 mile left on Noank Ledyard Road 1/4+ mile on right red barn set behind small white house with 3 very large pine trees, sign over door Formula Boatworks LLC. For hotels check out Mystic and More.com all the big chains are here Mystic Hilton 800-445-8607, Mystic Marriot 860-446-2600,Best Western Mystic 800-528-1234, Days Inn Mystic 860-572-0574, Hampton Inn Groton 800-Hampton,Sojourner Inn Groton 800-MYSUITE, Whalers Inn and Steamboat Inn are downtown Mystic short walk to all the bars and restarants. There are lots of B&Bs see the Mystic and More.com website. Jim"

jim_hansen
09-02-2006, 12:37 PM
The CT camp is shaping up. The camp will be 9/23/06 , 8am-5-pm , pizza lunch. Bill Palumbo from shopbot will be there he has built boats,signs,lithographs etc. with his bot an will bring a couple with him.
John Murphy from Allstar Adhesives will be there to discuss gaskets and hold down methods. A rep from Integra Tooling will discus bit selection. We will have a raffle for door prizes.
Email me to confirm so we can plan, directions are on the forum. I look forward to meeting you.Jim

billp
09-04-2006, 04:03 PM
To add to Jim's post above;
John Murphy from All Star Adhesives is a wealth of info regarding vacuum hold downs, and gasketing. He'll be there to answer specific questions on the practical usage of vacuum with your 'Bot.
Since Jim is in the heart of boatland, and there have been a few requests to do something regarding the 'Bot and boats, I'll hose out the van (AKA "the rolling bedpan") and load up a bunch of 'Bot built boats, such as Bill Young's lapstrake canoe, the Scout kayak, and some "custom" skiffs, etc. I know that Jim also does a bunch of teak cockpit grates, etc on his machine, and we'll get into a little of that as well. Please contact one of us to let us know you'll be attending so we can gear up in time...Thanks...
P.S. After the upcoming Minnesota Camp ( this coming weekend) and the Mystic Camp (Sept 23rd) we still have ; Marion, OH, Derby Kansas, Rockland, ME, and Kitty Hawk, NC Camps on the calendar. Try to find one that fits into your schedule, and keep an eye on the Camp threads for updates...

team08
09-10-2006, 09:19 PM
I am trying to figure out if I am going to go to the Rockland one or this one... I am primarily interested in seeing some vacuum hold-down setups pulling through MDF. Any suggestions on which shop will be geared towards my interests? Thanks!

billp
09-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Greg, vacuum hold downs are usually covered at all Camps since it's such a universal topic of interest. We usually try to cover a variety of techniques as there are SO many different ways in which people use their machine. While the host of each Camp may use a differing approach for their type of work, we bring along pods/pucks, and scaled down versions of the more commonly used techniques so we can give a pretty good cross section of how people have been able to incorporate vacuum into their shops...

billp
09-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Another reason to come to the Mystic Camp; since we're going to be doing a session on boatbuilding with the 'Bot Bill Young will be coming up to help describe the process, and as many of you are aware Bill has been doing boat work on HIS machine as long as Shopbots have been in existence...
We've started to get some more RSVP's over the weekend, but I'm hoping that everyone planning to attend takes just a minute to let us know at least a few days in advance so we can plan accordingly...

billp
09-18-2006, 10:28 AM
With less than a week to go we're in the final stages of getting things together for the Camp. If this is your first time in the Mystic,CT area you might want to leave at least a half day to stop in the Seaport and see some of the great exhibits, and shops they have set up in their ongoing living museum.
In answer to a few queries; we're going to re-schedule the New Jersey Camp until sometime in the Spring, so if you're anywhere in the Northeast quadrant of the country and you'd like to see a Shopbot , and meet other owners, the Mystic,CT. and Rockland,ME. Camps will be your last chances of the year...

billp
09-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Many Thanks to Jim Hansen for hosting our first Connecticut Camp Shopbot. He, Bill Young and John Murphy of All Star adhesives helped to fill up a day with good info, samples, and techiques. We'll be posting a bunch of pictures later today on the Camp Shopbot Flickr page; http://www.flickr.com/photos/campshopbot/

billp
09-24-2006, 04:57 PM
The files, and descriptions have now been posted at the above link...