PDA

View Full Version : Boise Idaho Camp October 13th

wooddr
08-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Well since Bill Palumbo has been kind enough to help us host another camp, I thought I had better get the ball rolling and remind everyone that there will be another Shopbot Camp this year on October 13th at my shop in Eagle, Idaho. My address is 3231 S. Pajaro Pl. Eagle, Idaho. It's about ten miles outside of Boise.

Please feel free to e-mail me (dirkdunham@cableone.net (mailto:dirkdunham@cableone.net)) to RSVP and offer any suggestions or if I can answer questions.

I will post hotel information later if anyone wants that information as well.

Dirk

wooddr
08-11-2007, 04:36 PM
To Boise Camp ShopBotters:

I am putting together some information on hotels and rates for the weekend of October 13th. I
have found some that are from 2 to 10 miles away from my shop.

The closest one is The Springhill Suites 208-939-8266 at 6325 N. Cloverdale road in Boise, Idaho
is 2 miles away and has rates of about $115 per night. This is the nicest that I have looked at.

The Doubletree Hotel 208-343-1871 at 2900 W. Chinden in Boise, Idaho has rates of $89.95 per
night and is about 7 miles from my shop. This is a pretty nice place as well.

The Shilo Motel 208-344-4521 at 3031 West Main in Boise, Idaho is about 8 miles from my shop and has a rate of $66 per night and offers free continental breakfast and free high speed internet.
This is not as nice as the others, but it is a pretty good bargain, probably a little nicer than a Motel 6.

All the hotels above are pretty much a straight shot from my shop and are easy to get to and
from. I can also check out by the airport as well if you would rather have rooms close to the airport. A little farther away and more traffic to fight and I would assume they would have
rates in the $65 range on up. If you can let me know what you all prefer I can look there as
well if you want.

Pat Fulgham recommends the following:

Hilton Garden Inn
http://www.hiltongardeninn.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=BOIEHGI

Spring Hill Suites
http://marriott.com/property/factsheet/BOISH

My address is 3231 S. Pajaro Pl. in Eagle, Idaho. Here is a map quest link for directions: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory =&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitu de=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=32 31+S.+Pajaro+Pl.&city=eagle&state=id&zipcode=8361 6 (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory =&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitu de=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=32 31+S.+Pajaro+Pl.&city=eagle&state=id&zipcode=83616 )

If those planning to attend could let me know, so we can do some preliminary planning that would be great. I would also encourage everyone to bring something that they have done with their Shopbot to share with us other rookies so we can all learn from this and hopefully make this worthwhile for Bill Palumbo to give up his valuable free time and come out to help us put this show together.

You can e-mail me at dirkdunham@cableone.net (mailto:dirkdunham@cableone.net) and let me know if there is anything I can do to help you guy’s out.

Thanks

Dirk

pfulghum
08-15-2007, 11:47 PM
I'll be there....

-- pat

jay_p
08-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Dirk,

There is a good chance that I will be able to come down to Boise on the 13th. It will be good to see you all again.

Jay

ron_moorehead
09-15-2007, 12:44 PM
I am located in Olympia WA and was thinking about driving over, anyone from western washington thinking about going?

wooddr
09-30-2007, 09:41 AM
I thought I had better remind everyone that the Boise camp is just two weeks away. I posted some hotel information earlier in one of the above posts. This link takes you to a lot of different options http://www.travelhero.com/search.cfm/country/US/state/ID/city/Boise/hotels/reservations/index.html . The Springhill Suites by Marriott is only two miles away from my shop. I am not sure the room rates, but at one time I was quoted around $89 per night in the off season.

If everyone that is coming could please contact me or Bill, so we can get an updated count on the number of people attending would be appreciated. Also I would encourage everyone attending to bring along some projects for show and tell. Also if anyone would like to give a presentation of anything Shopbot related you will more than welcome to do so.

Look forward to seeing everyone here on the 13th of October.

Dirk

mike_ross
10-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Looks like I will be attending the Idaho camp. Looking forward to meeting some of the folks that have supplied so much knowledge to us that just lurk....

Idaho has some great whitewater rafting on the Payette river about an hour North of Boise. I try to float the Payette every year but have missed this year. So I will be bringing a boat and spending some time in the area. If anyone is interested in getting out on the river Friday the 12th or Sunday the 14th please let me know. I would need to know ahead of time so I could bring the right boat and equipment for passengers.

See you in Idaho,

Mike Ross

jay_p
10-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Mike,

I don't think that I can fit in the rafting,but it will be good to meet you. Bring some skateboards to show us.

Jay

jay_p
10-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Dirk,
Do we have a start time etc. for this Saturday?

Jay

billp
10-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Jay,
In most cases we try to get there between 8-9 AM with a 9AM start time...

billp
10-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Dirk,Pat,Jay, etc.,
I just happened to mention to a friend that I was headed to Idaho for the Camp this weekend, and he asked me "What do you call people who live in Idaho?". For example there are Californians, and New Yorkers, but no one I know around here has a clue about the proper term for residents of Idaho.
So far we have eliminated some choices, such as "Idahomeys", "Idahoids", and "Spuds" . What's the REAL designation?

wooddr
10-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Bill,

I think most people call us Idahoans. I did some work for a contractor from Atlanta, Ga out at the Boise airport and he thought we were called rednecks or hillbillies.

Dirk

bcammack
10-11-2007, 08:09 AM
That's what I remember from my years out West. "Taters" has a nice ring to it, though...

jay_p
10-11-2007, 03:09 PM
I think that Idahoans is most common too, but I kind of like Idahomeys or Idahoids.
We may have to try to get that started.

Jay

richards
10-14-2007, 08:07 PM
The Idaho Camp was another great success. As usual, Bill Palumbo had more information than I could write down. Dirk Dunham was a great host and is a real gentleman. Everytime I visit his shop, I'm reminded of how hard, consistant work pays off. After the Camp, Pat Fulghum invited me over to tour his shop. I hope it wasn't too obvious when my jaw dropped open. He also has a fantastic shop. Going to Camp again was worth the 700 mile trip - even though it took an extra day to drive home. (Us old men with bad hearts have to lay over when the legs swell to the size of tree trunks.)

If any of you haven't been to a Camp yet, be sure to visit the next one that's within driving distance. It will be well worth your time.

jay_p
10-15-2007, 01:43 PM
I agree with Mike. The Boise camp was great. It is always good to meet new people and put faces with names.
Thanks for all of you efforts and inspiration Bill.
Thanks for your hospitality Dirk.
What was the name of that other bit supplier Pat (mag something)?
Dirk, Pat or Brian, what is the name again of that bit supplier up the road (micro??)?

Jay

pfulghum
10-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Jay,
micro100

Yes this was another great camp.
It was nice to see so many new faces.

As always Dirk was a great host with a very clean shop.

Can't wait till next year

Maybe I will host next year... (but would Dirk clean his shop without the pressure of hosting a camp)

-- pat

billp
10-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Let me also add my thanks to Dirk for hosting the Camp, Pat for speaking about his Box cutter program, Mike for his talk on building an "external driver/power supply" for an indexer, and ALL the guys who traveled to Eagle for the Camp.
We had a pretty good mix of newbies, and "old hands"this time, and I hope everyone got something out of the day. We'll post pix later today on the Flickr site, and I'll do a writeup on the Blog page as well.

billp
10-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Blog's up!- http://campshopbot.blogspot.com/

billp
10-15-2007, 04:04 PM
So are the pix on the Flickr site! http://www.flickr.com/photos/campshopbot/

billp
10-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Ahhh the wonders of technology...I forgot to mention in the above post that the pix were uploaded by Bill Young via a wireless card in his computer while he is in transit on a train from Maryland to the Maker Faire in Austin,TX....!

wooddr
10-15-2007, 04:36 PM
I would like to thank Bill for hosting another fine and informative camp. As usual I learned a lot. I would also like to thank everyone who came, especially those who had long distances to travel. I hope they found the trip worth while and had a safe trip home.

Pat, I probably wouldn't clean my shop if I didn't host, but it is a good thing to do once a year.

Dirk

dirk
10-15-2007, 07:33 PM
Mike...
What size is that capacitor in picture on the flickr site? It's looks huge.

Dirk

richards
10-16-2007, 12:38 AM
Dirk,
It's only a 15,000uF 50V cap. Computer grade caps are kind of scarce, so I take whatever I can find. What I really need to do is to build a circuit board with the more modern 'snap' caps. Some of the 10,000 uF 50V units are only 35mm X 50mm in size and are rated for 3,000 hours at 85-degrees C. Two or three of those mounted in parallel would just about be perfect.