PDA

View Full Version : Texas Camp Shopbot

waynelocke
12-07-2004, 07:13 PM
I am presently planning the itinerary for the Austin Camp on February 25 & 26. Friday the 25th will be an informal session for anyone who shows up. If anyone would like to make a presentation or has something they would like to see or discuss, please let me know. I am intending a large show and tell so plan to bring something to share if you want.

Sincerely,
Wayne Locke

waynelocke
01-11-2005, 02:26 PM
I have gotten a pretty good response for the Austin Camp on February 25 and 26. I am still firming up the itinerary. Bill Palumbo will be down from New Jersey and will demo some 3d techniques.

There are plenty of hotels and motels around town but Extended Stay America and the Holiday Inn Express are both about 10 minutes from my shop. Extended Stay is about 3 years old and the holiday Inn Express is about 1 year old. The Shopbot rates are:
Extenced Stay - $50 Single
60 Double
Holiday Inn Express - $72 Single
82 Double
If 5 or more rooms are rented the rates will drop to
$69 and 75 respectively.
Be sure to mention that you are with Shopbot.

There are plenty of things to do in and around Austin. My shop is in the far Southwest part of town but is only about 30 minutes or less from anything. You might want.

Wayne Locke

waynelocke
01-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Sorry for the lost formatting and embassing typos.

waynelocke
01-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Make that doubly embarrassing.

billp
01-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Wayne,
Do you have any contact numbers for those hotels so we can book our rooms? Thanks..Bill

waynelocke
01-11-2005, 07:37 PM
Make that triply embarrassing. The Extended Stay is 512-892-4272 and the Holiday Inn Express is 512-891-9500.
Wayne

mikek
01-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Wayne, I am happy to see that Bill Palumbo will be in Texas for your Camp ShopBot. Can't wait to meet him! I will bring a lithophane show and tell that he made me last year.

waynelocke
01-17-2005, 01:58 PM
The planning for the camp is moving along. I have not gotten back with some of you this past week because I have been in a time crunch. I will be out of town all of this week on business and catch up up with everyone when I return.
Wayne

robinndavid
01-25-2005, 08:59 AM
Wayne, We are happy to report that we have acquired a room at the Extended Stay and that they only charged us 55.00 for a queen room. Can't wait to visit your facility. As perspective Shopbotters we are looking for the nudge to jump in and buy. Looking forward to your itinerary for times and location.

waynelocke
02-04-2005, 12:54 PM
I am still firming up several presentations so the itinerary is still in a state of flux. I would encourange everyone who has something to show, to bring it. We will have a projector, so if you can't bring the piece, bring a photo. We can handle any format of digital image on cd,flash or whatever. I would like to have a lot of show-and-tell. Please let me know of anything you would like to see addressed and I will still try.

I have not kept my address secret by design. The address of my shop is:
9000 Feather Hill Rd.
Austin, TX 78737
512-288-3472.
I am easy to get to and find. Mapquest should get you right here.

I have gotten a lot of response and would like to get a rough head count. If you plan to attend, please drop me a/another line and let me know. If not just show up.

To the Northeastern Shopbotters, thermal attire will not be required.

Wayne Locke

waynelocke
02-14-2005, 11:53 PM
To All:

The Camp is almost upon us. Friday, February 25, will be an informal session for anyone who wants to show up from the morning on. Saturday, February 26, the session will begin at 9AM go all day. Wes Mason will demo his Doorbot software and there will also be demos of Parts Wizard, Artcam, Rhino and possibly some others. Also, there will be some product demos or information from Onsrud, Sculpt Nouveau, and All Star Adhesives. I would like to have a lot of Show and Tell so if any of you have something you would like to share, please bring it or at least a photo, preferably digital.

Coffee and Donuts will be available in the mornings and lunch will be provided.

I live on about 2 acres and my shop is behind my home at 9000 Feather Hill Rd., Austin, TX 78737. My telephone number is 512-288-3472. Mapquest should get you right here but I am including directions from the airport, which, with a little extrapolation for other starting points, should get you to my doorstep.

From the airport turn left onto Ben White Blvd, Hwy 71, and head toward Austin. When you go under Interstate 35 it becomes a Freeway, stay on it and in a few miles you will take a gentle left onto Hwy 290 & 71 towards Johnson City. After a few more miles the Freeway ends. Counting the light at the freeway's end, stay on Hwy 290 and go to the sixth light (about 3 miles) and turn left onto Southview Rd. Turn right at the second street, Feather Hill Rd., and ours is the fifth house on the right. It should take about 20 to 25 minutes from the airport in normal traffic.

You can park on the street and a few lucky souls, hopefully including myself, can park in the driveway. Just walk around the house and you will see the shop.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone.

Sincerely,
Wayne Locke

donchapman
02-16-2005, 10:47 AM
Wayne,
I live 30 miles east of Austin and plan to attend your camp and will bring my laptop with photos of many of the signs I have routed on my SB over the past 5 years. I can also show the graphics and signmaking software and procedures I use. I'll come on Friday so you can see what I have that you might want to use on Saturday.
I'm happy to share, but fully realize I have much more to learn than to teach.
Don Chapman
Chapman Carved Signs

ron brown
02-16-2005, 10:50 PM
Elgin, home of the Southside Meat Market and "Hot Gut" sausage.

great place

Ron

waynelocke
02-17-2005, 09:21 AM
Daniel Carr with Virtual Sculptor VS3D will not be able to attend but is offering attendees an opportunity to win a copy of his program. All attendees will get a $100 discount. The outline of the contest is as follows:

The object of the contest would
be to
create the nicest (most interesting and best-crafted) item using VS3D
with a Shopbot. The contest would be open only to the Austin Camp
attendants. Everyone who attends would receive a free 60-day
"evaluation"
license for VS3D (actually two 30-day licenses in succession).
I would be available to provide free technical support during that
period.

First place in the contest would be a regular (permanent) VS3D license.
Second place would be a $400 discount ($975 - $400 = $575).
Third place would be a $200 discount ($975 - $200 = $775).
Everyone else entering the contest would receive a $100 credit
towards a VS3D purchase ($975 - $100 = $875).

Wayne

waynelocke
02-23-2005, 09:43 PM
Wes Mason will be demonstrating his DoorBot software for making mdf raised panel doors with straight corners. He will be discounting the software to participants at the camp. During the he camp, the price will be $100 off of the regular $500 price .

Wayne

weslambe
02-27-2005, 10:37 AM
Thanks to Wayne for hosting a fine camp shopbot. There were more people than I expected and their was tons to learn from all.

I hope to see many of the Texas attendees at the Ada OK camp in April.

Wes

waynelocke
02-27-2005, 01:00 PM
It was a great camp. Thanks to all who attended.
Wayne

ron brown
02-27-2005, 04:04 PM
I will have to see if I can get a visa to visit Oklahoma Wes. Thanks to Wayne, Bill P, Don Chapman and the rest who solved a lot of problems and brought up more challenges for the future. Mr. Mason's Door program is a fairly amazing and amusing program.

Ron

robinndavid
02-28-2005, 09:04 AM
A big thanks to Wayne for letting us see his shop and getting together all the show and tell. But also to all the attendees for sharing there comments and ideas with us. We learned enough to give us both headaches.

We are now planning to attend the Jamboree and pick our machine up there. Hope to see some of you there.

donchapman
02-28-2005, 11:51 AM
Attending Wayne's camp reconfirmed what I've known through this forum for the past five years: ShopBot owners are among the nicest, most helpful folks you'll meet anywhere. I learned something from each speaker and each individual attendee, just as I learn something every time I read this forum. I hope I wasn't too boring with the detail in which I described the way I make signs, but that information would have saved me hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars if I had known it when I started making signs. Thanks again to all of you for your willingness to share your knowledge and experience.

waynelocke
03-01-2005, 09:31 AM
Someone left a corduroy coat this weekend.

Wayne