PDA

View Full Version : Stain vs. Danish oil

Burkhardt
03-14-2015, 06:36 PM
I usually take Danish oil as a sealer for laquer or varnish and that works well. But the other day I saw "natural" color Varathane stain; that means, without color pigments and tried that. It seems to work just as well with a few advantages: thinner and soaks better, dries faster, no amber tint and much cheaper.

Any reason why this is not a good idea? If not I may change my habits.

scottp55
03-14-2015, 06:51 PM
G.
Does it make grain "Pop" as good as Watco?
Do you have to be quite as careful to wipe ALL excess of with CLEAN rag as Watco in grooves/carvings?

Burkhardt
03-14-2015, 10:03 PM
G.
Does it make grain "Pop" as good as Watco?
Did not see much of a difference. But I may try sometimes a side-by-side comparison with a scrap piece of nice figured wood.

Do you have to be quite as careful to wipe ALL excess of with CLEAN rag as Watco in grooves/carvings?
Yes, if you leave something on the surface it will be an unwanted film with a sheen. I just rub everything off with a paper shop towel. If I don't get into the nooks and crannies I use a compressed air nozzle to blow out the little puddles and wipe off again.

scottp55
03-15-2015, 05:06 AM
Thanks G,
Yep, Compressed air and another Clean Viva paper towel(best I've found)here also for Nooks and Crannies.
Probably stay Watco, as 2 to 4 coats (2 coats Bloodwood/ 4 coats most others) gives the "Look/Feel" I need, And I know it can take a Hot Wax Dip without problems for buttons. May pick some up for larger piece testing if nobody posts any "Cons".
scott