PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey Camp 2005

billp
09-19-2005, 12:00 PM
I'm sorry that I haven't filled in much detail about the upcoming New Jersey Camp,(October 28/29th) as I've been travelling/training much of the last month or so.
I have had a few inquiries to our "schedule", and to date this is what we have planned;
Vacuum jigs/vacuum bagging techniques. Pretty much a sampling of most known vacuum technologies available to the Shopbotter. The use of gasketing, and specialty pods/pucks will be covered as well.
3D files. Their creation and carving techniques.
New software/videos - We'll have samples of some new software for people to see/try (VCarve Wizard). And we'll show some of Brady Watson's first of a series training videos, (this one covers Part Wizard/Insignia E).
As usual we will present the perennial crowd pleaser- "Show and Tell" where 'Botters bring what they DO...And then they help us understand how they did it...
I'm still open to adding some sessions which will benefit the general Shopbot population , so if anyone has ideas of sessions to add, or that they might be able to present please contact me off line to see if it will fit our resources, interests and time frame.
The general plan is to use Friday as a very loose day of sessions for those whose travel plans get them to NJ the day before Camp. We sometimes have as many people on the Friday as the Saturday and depending on the number, and people's interests, it's usually a pretty free form event... The actual Camp itself is on the Saturday so if you only have one day to attend, that's the day to do so.
A suggestion from last year's Camp; if you have a Shopbot item to sell (not products made on the 'Bot unless they are pertinent to it's operation, just hardware/software) bring it/them along and we can have a sort of mini-flea market. With some of the "hot rodding" going on these days you never know when it might come in handy to have some spare motors, a Z axis, etc. And since there ARE people upgrading machines regularly, there should be parts out there...
If you have any questions please get back to me, with as much lead time as possible as I am going to be on the road in the time between today and the NJ Camp as I am going to ALL the Camps this year as well as the Artcam user's group in Orlando next week. Try e-mail, and if that's not fast enough ; the cell # is 732-895-3126
Thanks...

billp
09-26-2005, 11:22 AM
From last year (I haven't moved...),
Driving directions..
I've had some requests for driving directions to the shop so I'll include them here. Also the phone numbers for the closest places to stay are;
Super 8 motel (closest place. .5 miles from the shop) is; 732-657-7100
The Quality inn is about 3 miles from the shop, and they are at: 732-341-2400
Holiday Inn ( 6 miles): 732--244-4000
Howard Johnsons ( 7 miles): 732-244-1000
Lakehurst Motel ( 5 miles-least luxurious, lowest rates probably..) : 732-657-8464
Almost all of the above locations are on/just off of Route # 37 which is where the shop is located...
How to get to the Camp...
Driving directions to the New Jersey Camp
From the South;
If you are taking the ferry over from Lewes, De. To Cape May, N.J. just get on the
Garden State Parkway, and head North to exit 82A. . This will put you on Route #
37 West. Follow that for about 4 miles until you come to "Northampton Blvd.". Do
NOT turn here, instead go past Northampton, and as you do you will see a Getty
gas station on your left hand side, and just past that a small industrial park. I am
IN that park, but you can't get there ( divided highway), unless you go to the next
intersection which is 'Commonwealth Blvd." , and make a U-turn..Do so, then as
you now head back east on route # 37 you'll see the entrance to the park ½ mile
down the road. In the park is a building with a large sign saying 'Carpet' on the
front. I am in the rear of the building, at Bay Craft Designs..
If you are coming North on Interstate # 95 ; take I-295 into New Jersey . Take it
North until you reach route # 70 ( approx. 35 miles..).Go east on route # 70 until
you reach the outskirts of Lakehurst, and connect with route # 37. Follow the
signs Eastbound toward Seaside Heights. I am about 4 miles East on route # 37.
You will pass the Super 8 motel at "Commonwealth Blvd.", and go ½ mile until you
reach a small industrial park. The Getty gas station you will see is PAST the park,
turn in before you reach it. Then when in the park follow the instructions above..
From the North;
You can take the New Jersey Turnpike to exit 11 and then get on the Garden State Parkway. Go South until you reach exit 82A and follow the instructions from the above
Paragraphs.
From the West;
Cross into N.J., and if coming through Philadelphia connect with route # 70. Then
follow instructions from the above paragraphs.
If coming from the Northwest you can take I-78,I-80, or I-195 across the state to
the Parkway, then follow instructions from the North.

Actual street address is; 1745 Route # 37 West
Shop phone # is 732-286-2700, cell number is;732-895-3126

As usual I would ask that if anyone has easier directions, please pass them along. Also if you need more specific directions from any point of origin, send me an e-mail..

billp
09-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Ooops...I just realized that in the set of directions above I still include the "Getty gas station". It has since closed but you'll see it's skeletal frame...

billp
10-10-2005, 01:37 PM
I know a few people have tried to reach me about the NJ Camp over the last week, but I have been (and still will be) travelling to the other Shopbot Camps for the next few weeks. At this point the best way to reach me would be by cell phone- 732-895-3126
If you DO plan to attend this year's Camp please send me an e-mail so I can start figuring out how many people we'll be accomodating.
A few NJ Camp notes; There WILL be a "Shopbot flea market" so if you have some parts or products DIRECTLY linked to use of a Shopbot bring them along. I know we have a few "spares"on their way, as well as a source of PVC vacuum pods/pucks,and an assortment of solid surface materials for lithophanes coming...
As far as the "Show and Tell"session we'll again ask that you limit your "display"to THREE pieces, and you CAN bring a few pictures on flash cards, etc. if the products you make are too cumbersome to carry with you.
I still have a couple of time slots for anyone with a good presentation to add to the mix. if you have something in mind, or would like to SEE something in particular, send me an e-mail...Thanks.
P.S. As some of you have already discovered we have worked out a system this year to show pictures of each Camp in almost a "same day" time frame. If you'd like to see what went on in the Kansas and Ohio Camps you can go to;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/campshopbot/sets/1098146/

billp
10-18-2005, 12:13 PM
New Jersey Camp Update....
I've had a few people contact me so far with a confirmation e-mail that they will attend, but I KNOW from past experience that there are a lot more people planning to attend that will presume we KNOW they are coming. PULEEZE let me know if you plan to be here as it makes things a lot easier for planning on my part.
Looks like the majority of people will be here on the Saturday, so we'll use the Friday as we have in the past to work on some software, go over basics for newbies, and see if we can come up with any last minute sessions for the Saturday.
Since there are a more than a few people coming in from out of the area I'd expect to start the sessions on both days at around 9AM.
To date we've got sessions scheduled by John Forney (Inlays), Jim Zaccaro (computer care),Chip Marshall ( how to keep your Porter Cable alive), Bill Young (strange and wonderful applications), and a number of other experienced 'Botters to keep the mix bubbling. We'll have some vacuum systems set up, and I will also show some pix of what I've seen as clever machine modifications from around the country as I tour all the Camps
"Show and Tell" gets better each year so if you have even ONE item you have created and would like to share, bring it, OR a picture on a flash drive, and be prepared to give a short description of how you did it.
I'll be at the Minnesota Camp from Thursday the 20th to Sunday the 23rd so if you HAVE to reach me, use e-mail OR my cell; 732-895-3126.Thanks

billp
10-25-2005, 10:05 AM
We're finally starting to get responses and RSVP's for the weekend. Using my unofficial "Shopbot response index" this means that I will hear from about 10-15% of the final attendees as many people are presuming we are already aware of their plans...Either way this is shaping up to be the largest group of attendees for any of the Camps held here to date.We'll have a few "Campers" actually camping in the parking lot in RV's , a bunch of out of town visitors, and a nice blend of first timers and old hands.
As mentioned above to avoid too much repetition we'll use the Friday to do some software sessions, machine tune up, and general issues for those attending. In fact if there are as many people as it appears we may have to do simultaneous sessions in both rooms to fit everything we have planned into the two days.
Since we got almost NO feedback on what topics people wanted to see we have put together what we thought would be informative for all levels. Latest topic added will be a demo of " V Carve Wizard" by John Forney so many of you can see first hand what this new and powerful software is capable of.
While there is usually enough parking for most Camps we'll ask that you help by providing access to the other businesses in our compound, and leave 'clear lanes' open for traffic.
The weather is currently predicted to be in the upper 50's and cloudy, which obviously means you should be prepared for anything from a full blown gale to a sunburn...
As in every past Camp I will suggest that you bring business cards and a camera. The former is because there are always people you want to contact after the Camp, and the latter is for capturing ideas, and techniques, that might get lost in the chaos. Our main goal at these Camps is to instigate communication between owners that can carry on well after the Camps are over. In fact in some areas of the country there are now small regional "user groups" forming where people are meeting monthly on a rotating basis in different shops.
If you have to reach me in the next few days I'd ask you do so by e-mail unless it's urgent. Otherwise use the cell phone # as I will be running around trying to get logistics covered.
Now I have to get back to shovelling out the shop so I can fit everyone....

ed_lang
10-27-2005, 02:03 PM
I thought I would be able to attend this camp. Things have come up and I will not. I hope folks will take pictures and post for me to see. Also, if anyone can send me handouts or any information from this camp, I would really like that.

thanks from a new shopbot owner, looking for help.

billp
10-30-2005, 03:33 PM
New Jersey Camp report....
This year's Camp is over, and I'd like to thank all those who attended, and also those who helped make things happen. It was a good mix of first timers, and "old hands". The sessions were pretty diverse, and we got to demo some new techniques for using vacuum, cutting 3D, how to use Part Wizard, and V carve Wizard, while Ted showed off some new ideas for "plug ins" to the Shopbot software.
I think the biggest "hit" by far was Bill Young's incredible speaker system which allowed him to take just about everything in my shop (including chunks of styrofoam, lexan, cardboard, and a few igloo coolers) and turn them into really clean sounding stereo speakers! More than a few people went home with ideas of how to implement the system into some products, and personal gifts. (There will be more posted about Bill's discovery soon in regards to the upcoming Jamboree so stay tuned...).
There are some pictures posted on the blog page already,( http://www.flickr.com/photos/campshopbot/57641276/in/set-1237374/) and if anyone else has pictures they can send us, please send them to; campshopbot@shopbottools.com (mailto:campshopbot@shopbottools.com)
We're still not sure if this will be the last New Jersey Camp at my current location ( Walmart wants to drop a superstore right on top of me..), but it was certainly a good one. Again, thanks to all who made the weekend a lot of fun...

paco
10-31-2005, 12:41 PM
Thanks A-L-O-T Bill for this "blog" of camp reports. I really enjoy watching the pictures and reading descriptions... hey guys, go easy on the pizza and the coffee, soon you won't reah the middle of your machine's spoilboard!

Keep up the good work Bill!

gerald_d
10-31-2005, 12:59 PM
Hi Bill, I see that Mike John and Ron Brown made it to your camp . . . . . . the pair of dinosaurs up on the wall.

billp
10-31-2005, 03:34 PM
Gerald,
Funny, some people were wondering if this was YOU....

stickman
10-31-2005, 03:39 PM
Bill,

Were some of your photo engraving works done into MDF?

Jay

benchmark
10-31-2005, 03:50 PM
Hi Bill,

I really like the photo engraving, any chance of a description of how you achieved them

Many thanks

Paul

billp
10-31-2005, 04:08 PM
Jay,
Yes they were. In an earlier bout of R & D I tried what were essentially lithophanes in materials that would NOT transmit light. Instead of using light as my medium to distinguish light from dark I simply spread sheet rock "mud"(or spackle, etc.) into the areas which were cut deeper. In a lithophane this usually allows more light to pass through the Corian, Acrylic, etc. But in these examples the sheet rock glop was white, and therefore gave me the effect of a lithophane.
Major issues; as you can see from the last remaining sample I have left the files were sometimes SO shallow that any irregularity in the MDF would mean that I would "miss" the surface in my cuts. And I could not go deeper as that would have affected the integrity of the image. And the REAL problem was that after wiping the glop into the carved image it was difficult to get a perfectly flat surface so I would have to either try and wipe the extra off while it was wet (VERY messy, and since this is an abrasive substance there was the danger of actually abrading some of the detail off as I wiped). OR if I waited until it was dry and tried to sand it, the shallowest areas might not hold in the material, and I'd have dark voids left behind.
I know that the process CAN work, but it is somewhat of a hit and miss affair...

billp
10-31-2005, 04:12 PM
Paul/Jay,
Obviously what I did NOT explain in the above is that I used my standard technique of creating the lithophane files in Artcam Pro (which is documented somewhere on this forum in another thread). I believe that it might now be possible to use Bruce Clark's new 'bitmap converter'in the Windows software to create a similar effect, but to date I have not tried it....

benchmark
10-31-2005, 04:21 PM
Thanks Bill,

What cutter and size of step over did you use.

Paul

billp
10-31-2005, 04:29 PM
Paul,
This was probably done with a .125" ball nosed end mill, and by the looks of it (it's at least 2-3 years ago) I'd say I was using a stepover of at least .0125" (10%) Today I would run similar files with around a 6-8% stepover.

mikejohn
10-31-2005, 11:26 PM
Bill
That can not be Gerald, you can see its ribs!

...............Mike

gerald_d
11-01-2005, 12:09 AM
You reap what you sow, ouch!