PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Camp Shopbot Spring schedule

billp
12-02-2009, 10:52 AM
While it may seem a bit early to be posting this we realize that there are a number of people who need a little advance notice in order to arrange their schedules, (OR to get "deals"on flights, etc.)
I'll list a few of the confirmed dates/locations we have already established for the Spring. This is NOT a "final" list, as there are still a few prospective "hosts" we are waiting to hear back from.
As usual all of the following is totally subject to change, but we will make every effort to post any changes far enough in advance to minimize confusion, etc.
And if you do not see a Camp listed near your location, consider hosting one yourself! If you have ANY questions about what this entails please get back to me at; campshopbot "at"gmail.com
So far this is what we've worked out;
Jan. 23rd Atlanta, GA
Feb. 20th Islamorada, FL
Feb. 27th Austin, TX
March 13th Magna, Utah
April 10th Ontario, California
April (TBA) Shopbot Jamboree, Durham, NC
Keep an eye on this Forum for further postings in the next few days/weeks as well.
We will start individual threads for each of these events in the next few weeks.

magic
12-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Yeah!

billp
12-03-2009, 02:23 PM
First alteration to the above list- Wayne Locke reminded me that he'll be running his Austin, TX Camp for two days again, so it's really the 26th and 27th of Feb.

ironsides
12-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Count me in on the Magna, UT camp.
I'm looking forward to talking to Noel again.

George

bryson
12-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Bill, You can count me in for Gary's camp in Islamorada. I'm sure I'll need some thawing by then!

billp
12-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Bryson ( and everyone else),
A few things have come up, and we are going to have to postpone the Florida Camp. Please don't make any bookings ( air, hotel, etc.) until we provide updated information here on the Forum ! Thanks!

Gary Campbell
12-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Guys...
The eCabinets/ShopBot Link event planned in conjunction with our Camp ShopBot is also postponed.
Gary

billp
01-05-2010, 12:07 PM
I've had a few phone calls in the last couple of weeks regarding the agenda(s) for the Camps being held this Winter/Spring. As most previous Campers know we try to tailor the Camps to the interests of those attending, and we plan to do so again in 2010.
However as we do more and more Camps in the same areas we find that we always have a scenario where we get a VERY wide range of experience, and expertise so keeping things "fresh" isn't always easy.
I'm sure some of you can probably GIVE a session on vacuum hold downs, or materials to cut with etc. after having been to 3 or 4 ( or 7 or 8 for some people ) Camps in the past. We've been trying to incorporate issues that are "universal" in nature ( such as "how to keep the business going in this economic climate",) etc., and we are always looking for Shopbotters who have come up with new techniques, products, etc. to present something as well.
Each year I try to solicit requests for Camp topics through this Forum, and each year there is
a surprising lack of response. Then we get to some of the Camps and people will say "I was going to drop you a note, and didn't get around to it,but could you give us a brief explanation of how to....." This would be MUCH easier for everyone if we had a little more time to prepare something in advance.
Obviously there will be some topics that do NOT lend themselves to "brief explanations" at all, and others that would require specific machinery being on hand ( such as the Indexer, etc.). There is also the fact that we usually only have 6-8 hours of time to cover everyone's interests, so spending 4 hours on a specific process isn't really fair to everyone attending. The answer there is to identify WHO is interested in that process, and put them all together at another time in a shop where the owner USES that tool on a regular basis...That's one of the reasons we try to encourage the "User Group" concept. It gives people with a common interest more time to work on developing their skills, OR just learning if they want to invest in that particular tooling. There HAVE been some User Group meetings in the last year that were great successes, and we'd like to see more.
SO, again I will ask: what is it that we can try to cover at a Camp you plan to go to ?
If there is not a Camp near you, would YOU be willing to host one?
Keep an eye on the Forum as we're still working out the plans for a few more events, including the return of the Shopbot Jamboree to the Durham area in 2010 ( please don't ask questions about the Jamboree yet, we'll post the info as soon as it's locked in ). And we hope to see many of you somewhere at a Camp (near you) this year!
Thanks !!!

ken_rychlik
01-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Are there any plans to do the shopbot link training for ecabs at another location? I am still working out the bugs on mine and trying to make it cut like it is supposed to. lol

Kenneth

billp
01-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Kenneth,
Not at the moment. I am pretty sure we're going to have a Thermwood rep at the Jamboree, but that would be more of an "intro to Ecabs ..." kind of session. The full training MAY happen at a later date, but it's not scheduled YET...We'll certainly keep people posted if anything gets locked in...

rb99
01-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Anything happening with the Ottawa Canada jam?

RIB

billp
01-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Richard,
I've posted a question asking the same thing over here;http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/11096/45815.html?1262711520

gundog
01-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Please schedule a camp in the Pacific Northwest Portland, OR Seattle WA. I keep checking on here I have been hoping for one for 2 years now. I have a cramped 1400 SQft shop but would be willing to host. I have a PRS 4x8 with homemade vac table & 3HP spindle. :<)

I also have a standard indexer that has never seen use but is new.

Mike

billp
01-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Mike,
I will send you an e-mail offline and we'll see if we can work something out...