PDA

View Full Version : Copying an existing relief

magickpurple
03-25-2015, 02:49 PM
I was just wondering. Does ShopBot offer any software or hardware that would allow you to scan an existing relief so that you could duplicate it?

bleeth
03-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Check out this link:
http://store.shopbottools.com/collections/accessories/products/3d-digitizing-probe

It's not fast but works pretty well.

magickpurple
03-25-2015, 03:16 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Brady Watson
03-25-2015, 04:47 PM
You really need Aspire to get the most out of that probe. Expect a lot of dirty data & time reworking it. It's good for things of a certain size and level of detail.

You can also send it out to be scanned in high resolution and just be responsible for cutting it. No reworking necessary.

-B

bleeth
03-25-2015, 06:30 PM
And Brady will also be glad to scan it for you with his hi-res 3-d scanner as part of the services offered in his business. He does a fine job and knows this area backwards and forwards.

Expanded answer: SB has their 3-d probe. Like any technical piece of equipment the prospective buyer needs to do his/her own due diligence on checking into it's use and requirements. I didn't get into that, as I take the attitude that if someone has purchased a very expensive piece of equipment, plus add-on accessories, if they don't do their homework then they deserve what may happen. Many guys have used the probe successfully, as well as other non-SB 3-D scanning technology available. If anyone expects a couple hundred bucks worth of scanning hardware to give them an absolutely pristine, perfect scan ready to be imported and cut with no additional work, they are living in an imaginary world. Just as quite a few guys have worked out how to make the probe work for them for some things, others have invested in different and/or much more sophisticated equipment.
Anyone's results would depend greatly on their expectations and their needs.
And Aspire is not the end all answer to all things 3-d. It is a good piece of software but not all that is available that is also good.

Disclaimer: I do not work for SB but do truly love my SB. I rarely sell my services to other Botters. I build cabinets for a living. Any opinions I express are simply my own thoughts based on the years I have been using and learning about my machine and software. I thank the powers above that every day proves I still have more to learn.

bob_s
03-25-2015, 08:17 PM
I recently saw a link to Autodesk's photo to 3d mesh program" http://memento.autodesk.com/about " I am now Mac based and it is windows 64 bit only so I haven't tried it yet, but the demo mesh looks very impressive. It isn't simple, simple is having someone like Brady do a laser scan, but is maybe worth a look. It is currently in Beta so it is free.