PDA

View Full Version : Carving using Raster leaves rough edges

Designer
04-17-2015, 12:43 PM
I'm still learning the BT32 I just got. I get better details when carving using raster settings. This was suggested by ShopBot to fix lines resulting from a circular carving path. I am carving an eagle from the Aspire clip art. At each end of the raster path I get a rough edge where it stops. The eagle is recessed below the surface of the material. I was looking for some feature in the tool path software that would allow me to set a final path to clean it up. I don't see one. Any suggestions? I think I can add another tool path, but it would be nice if I could just include it in the carving path.

I am using an 1/8 inch ball nose bit with a .012 offset for the carving path and preceding it with a 1/4 end mill rough pass.

Thanks

Phil

adrianm
04-17-2015, 01:19 PM
Try setting the boundary offset to the radius of the tool. Also do you have a zero plane set?

Joe Porter
04-18-2015, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure if you have V-Carve of Aspire, but Aspire lets me put a vector around my model so that I can change bits to like a .25 end mill and do a profile cut to clean up the edges....and, yes, it would be a separate tool path and bit change. You can also do this prior to running the carving tool paths to allow some relief for the smaller ball nose tools...joe

scottp55
04-18-2015, 05:21 PM
Phil,
Like they said with a vector boundary. I just scaled down one off Todd Bailey's models, and totally spaced looking at the roughing toolpath by itself and didn't notice that my 1/8" bit didn't fit in the left hand border(so it didn't cut:(.
In VCP8 in the left side modeling tab, there's an arrow pointing to the right that will create a boundary around model. Then do a profile cut OUTSIDE the line to the proper depth.
Saved my a** today as a full depth plunge on the left border with an 1/8" 45 engraving could have gotten messy. :)

cowboy1296
04-19-2015, 09:11 AM
When you use the software to create a boundary you dont get a perfectly smooth profile. This blown up picture will give you an idea of what i am talking about. Sometimes the profile is in within the pixels of the model and sometimes not. I can only assume that the rough pixels are responsible for a rough edge, someone correct if i am wrong. To smooth up the rough edge if you insure that your profile is barely http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24815&stc=1within the model using node editing of the profile, you will cut out those rough edges when you do your profile cutout. Depending on your model node editing can be time consuming. Now someone correct me if I am wrong and perhaps you can enhance my experience.

adrianm
04-19-2015, 01:04 PM
With V8 you don't need a vector boundary for a single model.

cowboy1296
04-19-2015, 01:50 PM
I just finished my cardio and my heart is in my throat, so i hope that this makes sense. I understand that with 3-d you do not need a boundary. Now here is the question. You still need it for the profile cutout, RIGHT?

Next question, is the jagged pixels responsible for the rough edge?

Designer
04-21-2015, 12:41 PM
Thanks for all of the great inputs.

I am using Aspire 8. I am not sure what a zero plane set is, so I'll bet I don't have one. What is it?

I will try the separate path to clean it up. I am not sure how to figure out the depth of the clean up cut yet. I will have to see if I can find it.

I will look for that arrow. Thanks.

I will post back what I learn.

mtylerfl
04-21-2015, 01:34 PM
Thanks for all of the great inputs.

I am using Aspire 8. I am not sure what a zero plane set is, so I'll bet I don't have one. What is it?...

Hello,

This Vectric video tutorial will explain the use of a Zero Plane (as well as a whole lot more!).

http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8/Dish/Dish_3DMOD.html