PDA

View Full Version : got the Regenerative Blower what else do I need?

knight_toolworks
04-18-2015, 07:58 PM
got it ordered and got the parts to replace my power box. but never having even seen one of these in person I want to do it right. it has 2" inlet and outlet. can I use PVC on it or does it get too hot? I want to make a filter it is easy to make one from a hepa shopvac filter. but is it easier or cheaper with a truck filter? and if so how to do it. I know how to do one with a shopvac filter. I have two 1.5" mufflers I used with the my black box but I take it I should make a 2" one? after the filter depending on the weather it will be vented in my shop or into a 4" flex pipe out of my shop. the 72db rating is that with no muffler or what?

Kyle Stapleton
04-18-2015, 09:39 PM
What one did you get?

knight_toolworks
04-18-2015, 10:26 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LS10KSC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kyle Stapleton
04-18-2015, 10:49 PM
Looking forward to see how it works out for you.

Simops
04-19-2015, 02:47 AM
got it ordered and got the parts to replace my power box. but never having even seen one of these in person I want to do it right. it has 2" inlet and outlet. can I use PVC on it or does it get too hot? I want to make a filter it is easy to make one from a hepa shopvac filter. but is it easier or cheaper with a truck filter? and if so how to do it. I know how to do one with a shopvac filter. I have two 1.5" mufflers I used with the my black box but I take it I should make a 2" one? after the filter depending on the weather it will be vented in my shop or into a 4" flex pipe out of my shop. the 72db rating is that with no muffler or what?

The exhaust gets hot.....best not use PVC.....I use metal pipe connection to silencer. Use same size pipe for inlet as for outlet. In my case with silencer I get about 70db measured from were I stand at the bot.

Cheers

Brady Watson
04-19-2015, 06:50 AM
You definitely want a good filter on it. The impeller to volute clearances are pretty tight on these...even small pieces of debris can cause the impeller to touch down & then it is game over.

The 'proper' filter for these uses a paper element in a metal canister. The canisters are expensive. I'd recommend this type of filter to protect the pump.

You will also need a pressure relief valve to regulate max suction. This will prevent the pump from cavitating, which generates a lot of heat with no real performance in return. You'll want one in the 6-8 Hg" range for that pump. You'll also want a filter to slip over it - truck filter open element is fine. This will filter the air when the valve opens, which bypasses the main filter.

PVC is fine for the exhaust. It may heat up an distort, but it will work fine. The early regens sold by SB used a plastic exhaust - Just 2" coupling screwed in, 2" PVC with 1/2" holes drilled into it like a baffle and a 2" cap. Real simple...

-B

Simops
04-19-2015, 05:23 PM
Here is a pic of my setup....relief valve with fi.ter (my valve is adjustable) and main inline fi.ter in a canister that can be opened from above to service the filter. It's like the old filters that used to be in cars with a carby.....do they still exist??

Cheers 24821

Brady Watson
04-19-2015, 08:51 PM
It's like the old filters that used to be in cars with a carby.....do they still exist??

Yep...that's the ticket. You can still get them in the States.

-B

knight_toolworks
04-20-2015, 12:16 PM
so looks ike I need to buy a metal muffler I doubt I could make anything that would handle the heat. I can buy one for 115.00 though the car muffler looks good but not sure how much I would save after having to hunt around to get what I need. I will make a filter I think from the shopvac filter I have done it before and it is not hard. I do have a pressure valve already so thats easy.

Brady Watson
04-20-2015, 01:33 PM
Put a cherry bomb on it...better yet, one of those ricer fart can mufflers :)

Not sure why you need a metal muffler. The 5.5hp FPz regen I have has a 2" PVC muffler & there's no melting etc.

-B

knight_toolworks
04-22-2015, 11:50 PM
Do I need a motor starter for this guy? It did not say in the half Chinese manual. but I did not have a chance to examine it and ow it is at work. I think this is what I want a starter and a 110v coil. I use a 110v contractor to turn on my dc and vacs with 3way switches so this looks ike it combines both in one thing.
http://www.amazon.com/Phase-Magnetic-Starter-Control-6-8-11A/dp/B008BXEWMK/ref=sr_1_48?ie=UTF8&qid=1429761515&sr=8-48&keywords=5hp+3+phase+motor+starter

knight_toolworks
04-23-2015, 01:48 AM
well the above is what I want though I need a 15 amp one but they only seem to come from china in a all in one setup. so the only one wa yI can see unless someone has a source is to get say a magnetic starter switch from grizzly and then run that to my contractor. so get this http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-T24104-HP-Magnetic-Switch/dp/B00DQJQ7MM/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
and I already have one of these. http://www.amazon.com/Garland-1637001-Contactor-Steamer-441081/dp/B00O2QF9FO/ref=sr_1_49?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1429768081&sr=1-49&keywords=110v+contactor+3+pole

Brady Watson
04-23-2015, 07:15 AM
I use these starters (http://www.amazon.com/Enclosed-Starter-10hp-3ph-208-240VAC-Start/dp/B007UU41BC/ref=sr_1_11?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1429787549&sr=1-11&keywords=weg+starter) with start/stop & reset capability.

-B

bleeth
04-23-2015, 11:03 AM
On my regen I've been using a wall mount switch box for years. (60Amp 240V AC).

knight_toolworks
04-23-2015, 11:35 PM
I want a motor starter with a 110v contractor switch so I can use switches on my machine to turn it on. I can find cheap ones direct from china or really expensive ones in the 250.00 price range. I need someone to put it together for me and set it up I have no clue.

knight_toolworks
04-25-2015, 10:40 PM
well got it hooked up today. the instructions for the motor on power are less then great but finally figured it out. the motor had a huge hole for the electrical fitting the starter had a small one with non standard threads so it was fun to find parts and wire that worked well to the local platt electrical and they found everything. 42.00 in wire and fittings. it is expensive changing over this motor is about the same as two black box motors. but it is 900 and it needs a starter about 100 and all the metal pipe parts and I still need a new power box to get separate breakers thats another 185.00
well it works pretty much the same as what I have I expected. but the noise is far more then the rated 72dbs. no clue where they got that number I think the motor its self will be louder then that. the air of course is noisy and the muffler only seems to change the pitch. I added one of my mufflers I had on my black box setup and it did not help. I have not plumbed it out of my shop yet so maybe that will help. the heat is not as bad by the time it comes out of the muffler it is not any hotter the the small motors. the motor it's self get so hot on the bottom I can't really touch it.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/posting/986E7808-ACBE-4CFC-BCAB-354697943A27_zpshyrmbdxi.jpg (http://s154.photobucket.com/user/knighttoolworks/media/posting/986E7808-ACBE-4CFC-BCAB-354697943A27_zpshyrmbdxi.jpg.html)

knight_toolworks
04-26-2015, 12:19 AM
I forgo noise level is about the same as the lighthouse motors with mufflers and such. but not as quiet as my other 220v motors. but it is better then the sound of both motors with the pitch changes they have going on.

Simops
04-26-2015, 02:46 AM
Looks like you have similar regen than I have......went and measured DB and found as below.
The first is a Regen only standing at my usual station position (about 5' from blower)
And second pic from my DC (about 20' away). The DC is louder.24896

knight_toolworks
04-26-2015, 01:15 PM
I usually measure a few feet away. just started doing that with the fein vac. that is 69 db's a few feet away. my setup this replaces was around 88db with the phone a few feet away. the lighthouse motors are noise then the blower though. What I want is to have it quiet when I don't need to ru the dc then I don't need ear protection. when I am cutting these small parts I don't need dc and it is 3 hours of cutting at time. it is nice to have the vacs quiet.

Brady Watson
04-26-2015, 03:09 PM
Make sure your wiring is beefy enough...What you show in the pic doesn't look much beefier than lamp cord. When you get a chance to run it for an hour or so, feel the wiring. If it's warm/hot...you know what to do.

With electric motors - err on the side of larger cable.

-B

knight_toolworks
04-26-2015, 08:42 PM
it's 12-4 as large as the fittings on the starter could take. it does not even get warm

knight_toolworks
04-28-2015, 12:22 AM
I put some more pac pipe on it and then to some 4" dc hose and out my shop and that dropped the cb level to 87 in the same place. thats much better.